Author Topic: What's up with Doc's Clippers?  (Read 16190 times)

Re: What's up with Doc's Clippers?
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Nets get the lesser of their pick/Hawks pick, so they won't really be able to improve significantly via the draft.

Oh man, I forgot just how bad that Joe Johnson deal was, too. Let this be a lesson to anybody here who thinks mortgaging our future for Josh Smith or Rudy Gay is a good idea.

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 05:49:14 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
So I'm watching the clips now that they're televised in the San Diego region, & I gotta say they just look terribly unorganized.   No offensive fluidity, telegraphed passing...just really surprised at what is transpiring in LA.

So how do they right the ship?   
Seems like all the talent in the world on that roster...
They have changed a lot of things in the team. Much more emphasis on the D, less points in transition, almost no lobs, lots of pick n pops with Hawes. It will take them some time but they will get there. My feeling is Doc is getting them ready to face SAS in the WCF :)

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Nets get the lesser of their pick/Hawks pick, so they won't really be able to improve significantly via the draft.

Oh man, I forgot just how bad that Joe Johnson deal was, too. Let this be a lesson to anybody here who thinks mortgaging our future for Josh Smith or Rudy Gay is a good idea.

If I am not mistaken Rude Gay just signed a really reasonable 3 year extension in Sacramento. Getting him on the pretty team friendly deal would certainly help the celtics. 

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2014, 01:07:49 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Wait, so the Clippers' entire game plan for the season is pretty much making sure they're ready to take down the NBA champs in a hypothetical Conference finals? That's totally unprecedented! (sarcasm)
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
So I'm watching the clips now that they're televised in the San Diego region, & I gotta say they just look terribly unorganized.   No offensive fluidity, telegraphed passing...just really surprised at what is transpiring in LA.

They have changed a lot of things in the team. Much more emphasis on the D, less points in transition, almost no lobs, lots of pick n pops with Hawes. It will take them some time but they will get there. My feeling is Doc is getting them ready to face SAS in the WCF :)
awfully optimistic they even get that far.  I'd say Memphis, SAS, Dallas, Portland and Houston at a minimum are just as likely to get to the WCF as the Clips.  GSW and Phx won't be cakewalks either.

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

The problem with that is illustrated by a comparison to the Celtics team Doc led to a title.

KG>Griffin.
Pierce>any SF on Clips.
Ray>Riddick.
Rajon<Paul.
Perk push Jordan.

Griffin is a more dominant offensive force but 2007-2008 KG owns him in every other category.
The difference between Pierce and his counterparts on the Clips is probably as big or bigger than the difference between Paul and Rondo.
Ray was clearly a notch above either Riddick or Crawford
And while Jordan is a better shotblocker and has become a better rebounder, Perk was easily a better all around defensive player.  They both suck on offense.

Mike

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 01:37:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Average coaches are only as good as their players.

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 01:40:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

That's a pretty funny way to spell 'every'  :D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Good coaches can get more out of their talent.  Not every coach can.

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I agree with you that "some" NBA coaches are better at getting their teams to overachieve than others (pour one out for George Karl), but I also think that JVG was onto something when he said 'great players make great coaches'
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 01:47:20 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Rivers barely won one championship with three Hall of Famers on his team.

Or, he came within 1 quarter of winning two NBA championships with 3 past-their-prime Hall of Famers.

That's because Tom Thib was still our assistant coach those times and he was mainly the reason why the C's were a well-coached team contending for titles.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2014, 02:53:49 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Bit of a stretch.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2014, 08:12:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Or, he came within 1 quarter of winning two NBA championships with 3 past-their-prime Hall of Famers.

That's because Tom Thib was still our assistant coach those times and he was mainly the reason why the C's were a well-coached team contending for titles.

Maybe, but Rivers understands a lot more than Thibs does about keeping players fresh for a playoff run.  Or maybe critical injuries to Rondo in the 2011 playoffs, and everyone but Rondo in 2012, had a bit more to do with it.

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

...and you spent enough time in practices and huddles to know this?

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Bit of a stretch.

CASUAL HYPERBOLE ON THE INTERNET SOMEONE STOP THE PRESSES THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!
 ;D