Author Topic: What would it take?  (Read 5003 times)

Re: What would it take?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Good point.   

Smart, Sully, Green, two 2015 1sts
for
Hibbert

This is probably the best offer Indy would get, nets several young assets & a starting big to replace Hibbert right away.

Pairing him with Rondo, I'm guessing both resign Boston.

Rondo
Bradley/Thornton
Turner/Wallace
Olynyk
Hibbert/Zeller

Not flashy on paper..but that roster would be highly dynamic.   Three 7 footers, vets who defend, knock down shooters, the rondo factor..sign me up

I feel like that's a rather excessive offer.  I'm big on calling people out for making ridiculously lopsided trades in favor of their own team, but that seems ridiculously lopsided in favor of the Pacers.  I'd probably withhold a pick and one of Smart or Sullinger, depending on whom Indiana preferred more.

Edit: unless, of course, the extra first rounder would be to compensate for Green's player option for 2015-16.

I agree that seems like a lot, if we took Smart out would the deal still work financially?  What would be the next move?  Sign Gay?

Sure its a lot, but I think that's the point.  To have trump card offers in our pocket that don't even have to include Rondo.  That said, to be fair we probably have enough assets to net 2 starters to go with Rondo. 

The hard part for Ainge, as I see it, is deciding which one of the Smart/Sully/Oly group to keep.  I lean towards Olynyk, myself. 

Offer 1:  Rebuilder Special
Smart/Sully/Wallace/ two 2015 firsts

Offer 2:  Playoff Pusher
Green/Bass/ 2016 first

If offer 1 can net us Hibbert, then I'd look to use offer 2 to pry Josh Smith out of Detroit.  That team needs a makeover and I bet Stan's trigger finger is getting itchy.  Green & Bass would fit much better, but probably throw em a 1st because we get the best player in the deal. 

Rondo, Bradley, Smith, Olynyk & Hibbert would be one tough starting 5. 
Counting Fav that's 4 seven footers up front, and the flexibility to go small with Smoove at 4.
Need more shooting you say? 
We'd still have Young, Turner & Thornton coming off the bench. 

Seems plausible, considering the shear volume of quality assets we have. 

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would do Sully & Green & 1 first

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think playing with Green would be more of selling point to him coming here as they played in college.

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

For what it's worth, I just spent 10 minutes rifling through posts on indycornrows.com. Couldn't find any chatter there about Hibbert trading except for one thread where some posters entertained the idea that they could trade him for a top-3 selection in next year's draft in order to get Mudiay, Okafor, or Townes.

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

Good point.   

for
Hibbert

This is probably the best offer Indy would get, nets several young assets & a starting big to replace Hibbert right away.

Rondo
Bradley/Thornton
Turner/Wallace
Olynyk
Hibbert/Zeller

Not flashy on paper..but that roster would be highly dynamic.   Three 7 footers, vets who defend, knock down shooters, the rondo factor..sign me up

I feel like that's a rather excessive offer.  I'm big on calling people out for making ridiculously lopsided trades in favor of their own team, but that seems ridiculously lopsided in favor of the Pacers.  I'd probably withhold a pick and one of Smart or Sullinger, depending on whom Indiana preferred more.

Edit: unless, of course, the extra first rounder would be to compensate for Green's player option for 2015-16.

I agree that seems like a lot, if we took Smart out would the deal still work financially?  What would be the next move?  Sign Gay?

Sure its a lot, but I think that's the point.  To have trump card offers in our pocket that don't even have to include Rondo.  That said, to be fair we probably have enough assets to net 2 starters to go with Rondo. 

The hard part for Ainge, as I see it, is deciding which one of the Smart/Sully/Oly group to keep.  I lean towards Olynyk, myself. 

Offer 1:  Rebuilder Special
Smart/Sully/Wallace/ two 2015 firsts

Offer 2:  Playoff Pusher
Green/Bass/ 2016 first

If offer 1 can net us Hibbert, then I'd look to use offer 2 to pry Josh Smith out of Detroit.  That team needs a makeover and I bet Stan's trigger finger is getting itchy.  Green & Bass would fit much better, but probably throw em a 1st because we get the best player in the deal. 

Rondo, Bradley, Smith, Olynyk & Hibbert would be one tough starting 5. 
Counting Fav that's 4 seven footers up front, and the flexibility to go small with Smoove at 4.
Need more shooting you say? 
We'd still have Young, Turner & Thornton coming off the bench. 

Seems plausible, considering the shear volume of quality assets we have.
Since we're dreaming let's make offer 2 bass plus filler plus a pick for Monroe.
Rondo, Bradley, green, Monroe, hibbart.
With young, turner, Oly and Zeller as our bench.
Monroe and hibbart. Wow.

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 03:58:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Would the team be better or worse if you traded Rondo straight-up for Hibbert.

Worse.  At the end of the season, Hibbert would most likely opt out of the last year of his contract and leave for greener pastures.  So you would have traded Rondo for nothing.  I think there is a strong likelihood Rondo resigns with the Celtics. 

I'd argue Rondo is a better building block than Hibbert but at best swapping Rondo for Hibbert is status quo.  It does nothing to advance the goal of becoming a championship contender.  You'd still need to acquire two more stars.  The best play is to resign Rondo and go after one of the numerous center possibilities via trade or free agency.
But would the team be better right now if they traded rondo for hibbert?

We can speculate about their future decisions, but I wasn't all that interested in that. Besides, I don't believe Boston is the front runner to sign rondo if he reaches free agency.   I'm talking right now... What happens if you were to swap rondo for hibbert ?

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 04:04:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't think it'd take Rondo for the simple fact that Rondo is an impending free agent and if they were to trade away Hibbert, it'd more than likely be for rebuilding purposes.  They'd probably want a draft pick and a young prospect and/or an expiring.

Good point.   

for
Hibbert

Rondo
Bradley/Thornton
Turner/Wallace
Olynyk
Hibbert/Zeller

I'm all for throwing a nice offer at Indiana to get Hibbert but this is way, WAY, too much here. If we can get Hibbert we make the move. Pairing Hibbert with Rondo and Green is a huge plus. I'd be leary to figure out what we'd need to send out to get him however.

I would trade THorton's expiring and our 2015 first, I'd hate to give up Sully or KO but I'm sure they'd ask for Sully back.

Rondo/Smart
Bradley/Turner
Green/Turner
KO/Bass
Hibbert/Zeller

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 04:31:47 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I don't think it'd take Rondo for the simple fact that Rondo is an impending free agent and if they were to trade away Hibbert, it'd more than likely be for rebuilding purposes.  They'd probably want a draft pick and a young prospect and/or an expiring.

Good point.   

for
Hibbert

Rondo
Bradley/Thornton
Turner/Wallace
Olynyk
Hibbert/Zeller

I'm all for throwing a nice offer at Indiana to get Hibbert but this is way, WAY, too much here. If we can get Hibbert we make the move. Pairing Hibbert with Rondo and Green is a huge plus. I'd be leary to figure out what we'd need to send out to get him however.

I would trade THorton's expiring and our 2015 first, I'd hate to give up Sully or KO but I'm sure they'd ask for Sully back.

Rondo/Smart
Bradley/Turner
Green/Turner
KO/Bass
Hibbert/Zeller

I agree I'd like a core of Rondo, Green, Hibbert BUT don't wanna give up sully or KO but prly would need to happen.

I might think about sending them Bradley and Sully or making it a 3 way and sending bradley to the cavs and sending waiters to the pacers..if the pacers wanted waiters over bradley.

Im not a huge bradley fan....he is a solid role player and so is Sully but they are both replaceable........and we NEEEEEEED a Center lol I chose KO over Sully bc I think KO would pair better with Hibbert ...twin towers! lol

rondo/pressey
Smart/Thronton/Turner
Green/Turner/Wallace/Young
KO/Bass/Powell
Hibbert/Zeller

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Rondo for Hibbert would be the worst trade in basketball history