Author Topic: Interstellar - best SF movie ever?  (Read 6563 times)

Re: Interstellar - best SF movie ever?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 06:58:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What a crazy movie. Another brain buster like Inception.

Re: Interstellar - best SF movie ever?
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 06:54:29 AM »

Offline DRJ1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Some more thoughts, questions:

- I wonder if it is possible to live on a planet that is being continually subjected to the immense gravitational pull of a black hole. The movie gave us one example of what that would cause -- those giant waves on Miller's planet. But the level of gravity from the black hole must have been INCREDIBLY INTENSE, considering that it was able to warp time to the extent that each hour equaled 7 EARTH YEARS!! I can't do the math (well, not without working on it for a few weeks) but the gravitational pull clearly had to be IMMENSE. What does that do to the human body, which is not used to such forces? Would our blood pool in those areas of our bodies closest to the black hole? Would we get hemorrhaging, clots, strokes? Who knows....?

- Anyway, for these reasons, I think I would immediately REJECT any planet that was too close to the singularity -- assuming I had some alternative(s). In fact, Brand (Ann Hathaway's character) says something like that in her argument for Edmunds' planet -- she talks about how proximity to the black hole removes many cosmic accidents that are necessary for life to form. Good point, imo. Even better is the argument that human life might well not be possible under the influence of a black hole that's too close.

- So Edmunds' planet should have been the OBVIOUS first choice, if only because the other two were too close to the black hole. That's the way it looks to me. (Thoughts?)

- One more point comes to mind: Why did the future beings build the wormhole so close to a black hole? Seems like a bad idea, no? My answer to that is that perhaps a black hole is REQUIRED when one is constructing a wormhole (that doesn't disappear in an instant).  Just a guess, though.

- Btw: I absolutely HATED Dr. Mann, the Matt Damon character. So much that I couldn't stop myself from exclaiming "Good!" when he finally got what was coming to him. (HATED HIM!!!) He was, arguably, the most evil person in the history of humankind, past and future.
Anything's possibbulllllll