Author Topic: Interstellar - best SF movie ever?  (Read 6564 times)

Interstellar - best SF movie ever?
« on: November 09, 2014, 03:38:05 AM »

Offline DRJ1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Interstellar is a great movie -- imo, easily the best SF movie ever made. It might just be one of the greatest films of all time.

So why a forum post? I figure there are lots of debatable issues in the movie, certainly lots of questions to be asked. I think I've answered most of them, to my own satisfaction anyway -- but I can think of at least one offhand that I have not.

Before I get into any details, though, I should point out that I intend this to be a forum for people who HAVE SEEN this movie. So expect spoilers galore here. If you haven't seen this film yet, and if you don't want to know anything in advance -- you should get out of here right now.

Truth is, though -- I believe it doesn't make much difference what you know in advance of seeing this movie. Imo, it's not the SURPRISE of the film that makes it great -- though it certainly has plenty of surprising elements. For me, it was the depth of its ideas, the intensity of its emotions, and the intelligence of its execution that make this movie great. But that's just me. You might feel very differently -- so be warned:

SPOILERS AHEAD.

Here's one question I can't answer: How was Cooper found, in the end? Floating in space? Huh? It seems he was found somewhere near Saturn -- but the movie skips over exactly how that happened. After all, he was out there in space with just a spacesuit between him and oblivion, right? How did he survive long enough to be found? And where? Just floating around in space??

Or did "They" -- the supremely intelligent and powerful beings that humanity becomes in the deep, deepest future imagined by this movie -- somehow manipulate Cooper's reality so that he ended up somewhere near an Earth outpost near Saturn, where he was found by Earth's first interplanetary explorers? Maybe. It would have been some years after his daughter Murph unveiled to the world the solutions to the equations -- transmitted to her by her father through the seeming magic of gravity-space-time -- that finally allowed humanity to slip the bonds of Earth and live anew in the stars. Could he (Coop) have survived that long in empty space with nothing to aid him but a spacesuit? Again, maybe... because "They" are able to bend time (and space) to their will, and perhaps he did not have to survive out there very long at all.

But I'm not sure about this answer. If anyone else has any thoughts here, I'd love to hear them. Or if anyone has any other thoughts or questions at all about this most extraordinary movie -- let's talk about it.
Anything's possibbulllllll

Re: Interstellar - best SF movie ever?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I saw Interstellar Friday night, which I've been incredibly excited for. I think Nolan is a great director and when I heard about the plot of this movie I was expecting some great and memorable visuals. I would definitely recommend seeing it in IMAX, its long but its a great experience.

Now to try and answer your first question DRJ1 I do think Cooper was placed their by "them" at the perfect time to get rescued. Notice when they say they found him "just in time because he had 2 minutes of oxygen left". The movie already established they control time and place things just where and and when they need to be, for example the worm hole.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
It doesn't have a lot of competition because most sci fi movies are complete crap.  Can count on my hand the amount of decent ones.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I'll see it.   ."here are some similar movies.....

I did enjoy "CONTACT " with Jody Foster ....she was excellent ....and "GRAVITY"with Bullock was ok too......my wife liked it as well.

"Prometheus "...was decent movie too in the ET vain of movies with a way out there theme......never less I liked it enough to see it twice on HBO

I'm not much on the Cartoon ish  .....Star Wars  type  movies......too kiddish....with lots of hokie looking costumes and Disney stuff.

I enjoyed  the old movie ...Close Encounters  and Wraith of Kahn Star Trek

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Does Guardians of the Galaxy count as SciFi? Or to comic booky?

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 11:19:11 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Best Small Forward movie ever? (That's how my brain coded the title)

Interstellar had probably the best theory I've ever seen in a Sci-fi film, but overall it was like a boring two hour documentary with a fantastic hour of classic Nolan onion peeling twists and turns in the last hour.

Great story.
Great theory.
Dull movie.

B-
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I didn't like " Armageddon.
" With Bruce Willis ......bit lame for me

Arnold had a few Sci FI classics . ....top of the line for their era.   

When you get past the crude scenery and costumes etc ,   Planet of the Apes.  Had great story lines and foresight and dialog .   

There was a obscure little movie based on real story of Alien presence in Alaska. ...few years ago....I can't remember the name , but scared the bejesus out of me.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Interstellar is a great movie -- imo, easily the best SF movie ever made. It might just be one of the greatest films of all time.

So why a forum post? I figure there are lots of debatable issues in the movie, certainly lots of questions to be asked. I think I've answered most of them, to my own satisfaction anyway -- but I can think of at least one offhand that I have not.

Before I get into any details, though, I should point out that I intend this to be a forum for people who HAVE SEEN this movie. So expect spoilers galore here. If you haven't seen this film yet, and if you don't want to know anything in advance -- you should get out of here right now.

Truth is, though -- I believe it doesn't make much difference what you know in advance of seeing this movie. Imo, it's not the SURPRISE of the film that makes it great -- though it certainly has plenty of surprising elements. For me, it was the depth of its ideas, the intensity of its emotions, and the intelligence of its execution that make this movie great. But that's just me. You might feel very differently -- so be warned:

SPOILERS AHEAD.

Here's one question I can't answer: How was Cooper found, in the end? Floating in space? Huh? It seems he was found somewhere near Saturn -- but the movie skips over exactly how that happened. After all, he was out there in space with just a spacesuit between him and oblivion, right? How did he survive long enough to be found? And where? Just floating around in space??

Or did "They" -- the supremely intelligent and powerful beings that humanity becomes in the deep, deepest future imagined by this movie -- somehow manipulate Cooper's reality so that he ended up somewhere near an Earth outpost near Saturn, where he was found by Earth's first interplanetary explorers? Maybe. It would have been some years after his daughter Murph unveiled to the world the solutions to the equations -- transmitted to her by her father through the seeming magic of gravity-space-time -- that finally allowed humanity to slip the bonds of Earth and live anew in the stars. Could he (Coop) have survived that long in empty space with nothing to aid him but a spacesuit? Again, maybe... because "They" are able to bend time (and space) to their will, and perhaps he did not have to survive out there very long at all.

But I'm not sure about this answer. If anyone else has any thoughts here, I'd love to hear them. Or if anyone has any other thoughts or questions at all about this most extraordinary movie -- let's talk about it.
I thought it was the best Science Fiction movie since Inception, that's as far as I'm willing to go.

My answer to your question is as follows:It was either the future people spit him out into Saturn when the black hole closed or they used their ability to manipulate time to find him seconds after he was out of the black hole
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 11:45:25 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Heading to see it at 3:30
Yup

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Best sci fi film ever?

By a long shot. The film's impact, influence on future films, technical achievement, intellectual journey are unmatched. I thought it was great after seeing it on a television screen.

If you ever get a chance to see it on a big screen, with full theatrical sound, you will be in awe the entire time. It is an amazing film. For those in LA, 2001 is often projected once or twice every year at the cineramadome.

For scifi fans, Interstellar is a very enjoyable experience. See it in true imax if possible.

To answer the OP's question. I think they placed Coop in a rescuable position. They placed a black hole near Saturn afterall. And they built a tesseract around him moments earlier.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 04:28:18 PM »

Offline DRJ1

• Xavier Tillman
I'll see it.   ."here are some similar movies.....

I did enjoy "CONTACT " with Jody Foster ....she was excellent ....and "GRAVITY"with Bullock was ok too......my wife liked it as well.

"Prometheus "...was decent movie too in the ET vain of movies with a way out there theme......never less I liked it enough to see it twice on HBO

I'm not much on the Cartoon ish  .....Star Wars  type  movies......too kiddish....with lots of hokie looking costumes and Disney stuff.

I enjoyed  the old movie ...Close Encounters  and Wraith of Kahn Star Trek

I liked every movie you mentioned EXCEPT "Gravity." Hated that [dang] movie (and I hated more because everyone seemed to LOVE it so....) because it was SO FULL OF IT. The science was a joke. At one point, an astronaut is hanging on to a rope trying not to fall down -- even though they're ALL IN SPACE, where there's NO GRAVITY!! And the skipping around from one orbiting gizmo to another was just ridiculous. To say nothing of the way Sandra makes it back to Earth. Movie gave me a headache!

:) Just a throw-away (thrown-in?) comment here....

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »

Offline DRJ1

• Xavier Tillman
Does Guardians of the Galaxy count as SciFi? Or to comic booky?

Imo, superhero movies have their own category... not sci fi.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »

Offline DRJ1

• Xavier Tillman

I didn't like " Armageddon.
" With Bruce Willis ......bit lame for me

Arnold had a few Sci FI classics . ....top of the line for their era.   

When you get past the crude scenery and costumes etc ,   Planet of the Apes.  Had great story lines and foresight and dialog .   

There was a obscure little movie based on real story of Alien presence in Alaska. ...few years ago....I can't remember the name , but scared the bejesus out of me.

Are you thinking of "The Thing"?

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »

Offline DRJ1

• Xavier Tillman
Best sci fi film ever?

By a long shot. The film's impact, influence on future films, technical achievement, intellectual journey are unmatched. I thought it was great after seeing it on a television screen.

If you ever get a chance to see it on a big screen, with full theatrical sound, you will be in awe the entire time. It is an amazing film. For those in LA, 2001 is often projected once or twice every year at the cineramadome.

For scifi fans, Interstellar is a very enjoyable experience. See it in true imax if possible.

To answer the OP's question. I think they placed Coop in a rescuable position. They placed a black hole near Saturn afterall. And they built a tesseract around him moments earlier.

I love seeing "tesseract" used like just another word -- and not a Marvel superhero invention. :)

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 04:40:17 PM »

Offline DRJ1

• Xavier Tillman
Ok, tell the truth now...
You know how evil Dr. Mann turned out to be, right? Did anyone see that coming?