Author Topic: T-Mac tells LeBron to "get Rondo;" radical three-team ideas  (Read 17353 times)

Re: T-Mac tells LeBron to "get Rondo;" radical three-team ideas
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Kyrie and Smart could potentially work well together.  Smart could play the 1 on offense with Irving at the 2 and then reversed on defense.  I doubt the Cavs would make the trade though, but Lebron does carry a lot of influence.  If he wants to swap Irving for Rondo, they might do it.  Anyway, it's fun to think about.

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 04:39:33 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
All this chatter tells me (T-Mac, Laker interest, Knicks interest, etc) is that Rajon Rondo's stock is on the rise from where it's been. To a lesser degree, the Celtics stock is on the rise as a partial result of that.

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 05:18:29 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
No, we won't. Irving is established NBA talent that is still young. Picks and prospects are... picks and prospects. On average, you may or may not end up with someone as good as Irving -- with "may not" being the more probably outcome. That's what you don't seem to understand.

Those picks and prospects can be used to acquire a star that Stevens feels fits his system more adequately.
Right, let's just spin our wheels and refuse to pick top talent that's available because, God forbid, Brad Stevens may have to change his system.

We're not "spinning our wheels." In all likelihood Rondo leaves us this offseason. Netting Giannis and a pick that gets us closer to Okafor/Towns immediately improves our team next year and affords us the flexibility of either assembling a homegrown power or trading the pieces if a star more suitable for this team than Irving comes on the market.
We all understand Rondo may be leaving in the offseason. The discussion here is about where to pick up a top tier player in Irving, or to instead deal him for a bag of spare parts, picks and future maybes with the intention to resell them for a hypothetically available hypothetically better fitting player who may hypothetically be as talented as Irving.

Of course, this is all presuming that Irving may be available. As far as I am concerned, in the current NBA where talent is at a premium, it's completely insane to pass on a known commodity of Irving's caliber. And especially not for the reasons you're pointing out.

Irving won't be available. This is all just useless fun.

You have a legitimate point but you weaken your credibility IMO by trying to undermine the legitimacy of my own point. Again, as I said before, going after stars is not something I discourage the Cs from doing. What I have a problem with is dismissing any other offer because it doesn't include a bona fide star. A bag of spare parts is Julius Randle and expiring contracts. A bag of spare parts is Stoudemire, Hardaway Jr. and mid first rounders. A bag of spare parts is Terrence Jones and the Pelicans pick. A bag of spare parts is not Giannis Antetokounmpo, Knight and a lotto pick from Milwaukee, just as Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett wasn't dismissed as just a "bag of spare parts" for Kevin Love.

I'm not sure where I stand on this anymore. You've persuaded me to believe that Kyrie would be the better deal. But I remain firm that Giannis + Knight + 2015 MIL 1st is not being beaten by many other offers. And I remain firm about the benefits of the flexibility that such an offer affords us.

In my eyes, this is a classic example of risk and reward. Kyrie to me is a medium risk high reward guy. But the package of Giannis/Knight/2015 MIL 1st is high risk higher reward. If Giannis blossoms into a superstar and that MIL 1st plays a major role in us landing a top 3 pick this year (either by luck or fair trade in combination with our own pick), we end up better off than if we took Kyrie. If Knight continues (22) his development and we can flip him in a Jrue Holiday-type deal, even better. For emphasis, the chances of all that happening are lower than the chances of Kyrie reaching his own full potential, but the reward is greater. To dismiss the high potential of such an offer reveals your defense of a preconceived notion.

I have a feeling at the core of this debate resides drastically different perspectives on Giannis and Knight. I think if Giannis entered the 2015 draft today he'd go in the top 5. And I think Brandon Knight is a legitimate starting point guard already with borderline All-Star potential. I sense there is some disagreement about both claims and that is why the Milwaukee offer has been called "horrible."

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2014, 05:19:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Love: see you at Cleveland
Rondo: Yeah. But who is going to play defense?
Love: dont know

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
one trade that makes some sense for all teams:
boston gets giannis, tristan thompson, + garbage
cleveland gets rondo, mayo
milwaukee gets irving + garbage

maybe olynyk, zeller, or sully also get thrown into the mix for a decent draft pick in return, if i'm ainge i might try to find a way of squeezing milwaukee's coming pick from them. they're getting the (allegedly) best player in this trade, so we might have some leverage there. 

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I've often thought of Kyrie Irving as overrated. I haven't seen this Cavs team play yet. I'll have to check them out.

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
And two months ago Rondo had no trade value..

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 05:29:47 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

He's not worth Kyrie Irving. No way. Not even with LeBron twisting management's arms and legs and appendages with as much force as his Kung Fu Grip can muster.

It does, however, seem to make a lot of basketball sense.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum

He's not worth Kyrie Irving. No way. Not even with LeBron twisting management's arms and legs and appendages with as much force as his Kung Fu Grip can muster.

It does, however, seem to make a lot of basketball sense.

Yeah, I agree. But I just find it funny :)

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Aha. Understood.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
If we trade rondo for kyrie, we need to go full out tank and draft towns

Smart
Kyrie
towns
Sully
Gasol????

Is a contender? No?

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Or say

If it's a three team deal

Rondo, Wallace and Clippers pick to CLE
Giannis. EXPIRING, first round pick(MIL) TO BOS)
Irving MIL.

Something along those lines

full out tank.

But in a rondo for kyrie trade, if Danny thinks smart and Lyrie can coexist, then I don't see why you would want anything but kyrie

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 05:42:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I have a feeling at the core of this debate resides drastically different perspectives on Giannis and Knight. I think if Giannis entered the 2015 draft today he'd go in the top 5. And I think Brandon Knight is a legitimate starting point guard already with borderline All-Star potential. I sense there is some disagreement about both claims and that is why the Milwaukee offer has been called "horrible."
I'm ashamed to admit that I looked at the name Knight, concluded "ah, Brevin Knight, meh" and moved on. Which doesn't make any sense, because Brevin Knight retired 5 years ago. This means I also have to retract the "horrible" qualification.

I still think it's better to take the more most talented player available. Though I agree that this is purely academic, given that unless the sky crashes and burns in Cleveland, Irving will not be available.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 05:48:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My three way trade idea

(Principal pieces)
To Cavs- Rondo, Bass, 76ers 1st (non lotto)
To 76ers - Irving 
To Celtics - MCW, Thompson

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum