Author Topic: Does Rondo for Kyrie make more sense now.  (Read 6816 times)

Re: Does Rondo for Kyrie make more sense now.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
If we're trading Rondo, I'd rather trade for a non-PG. I want Smart to be this team's future starting PG.
From the looks of it, Irving is not a PG.  :)

This. LOL

If this happens, Kyrie will be our Monta Ellis, but a sexier name than Monta Ellis.

Im not even sure if I want to do this. Rondo may not be as talented as Kyrie, but I havent seen any leadership qualities on that kid. Not to mention his questionable defense.

I'm going to have to stop you right there ;D.  Rondo is head and shoulders above Kyrie in terms of talent, especially for his position.  The only things that Irving does better than Rondo are shoot and create his own shot.  Ironically, because Kyrie isn't a pg, I thought that this playing with Lebron would work much better on offense than it ever did with Wade because Irving can actually SHOOT ;D, and if things break down he can create his own shot, but it looks like that dynamic hasn't taken hold yet.  Lebron is supposed to be the playmaker, with the other guys playing off of him, in no small part because he can't play off the ball, either, lol, but Irving should be able to make the adjustment, and rather easily, at that.  At least, imo.  Love has been the only consistent member of the three so far, but I'm sure that they'll fix things.  Remember too that Miami started 9-8 way back when.  Just some food for thought.

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If we're trading Rondo, I'd rather trade for a non-PG. I want Smart to be this team's future starting PG.
From the looks of it, Irving is not a PG.  :)

This. LOL

If this happens, Kyrie will be our Monta Ellis, but a sexier name than Monta Ellis.

Im not even sure if I want to do this. Rondo may not be as talented as Kyrie, but I havent seen any leadership qualities on that kid. Not to mention his questionable defense.

I'm going to have to stop you right there ;D.  Rondo is head and shoulders above Kyrie in terms of talent, especially for his position.  The only things that Irving does better than Rondo are shoot and create his own shot.  Ironically, because Kyrie isn't a pg, I thought that this playing with Lebron would work much better on offense than it ever did with Wade because Irving can actually SHOOT ;D, and if things break down he can create his own shot, but it looks like that dynamic hasn't taken hold yet.  Lebron is supposed to be the playmaker, with the other guys playing off of him, in no small part because he can't play off the ball, either, lol, but Irving should be able to make the adjustment, and rather easily, at that.  At least, imo.  Love has been the only consistent member of the three so far, but I'm sure that they'll fix things.  Remember too that Miami started 9-8 way back when.  Just some food for thought.

Fair enough. Point taken.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Irving for Rondo solves some problems but creates others -- the biggest upgrade that I can see is that you're trading a 29 year old All Star point guard for a 22 year old All Star point guard.
...with the 22 year old all star under contractual control for 4.9 seasons and the 28 year old all star under control for only 0.9 seasons.

Those are two pretty big upgrades for a team that is trying to rebuild even with plenty of questions about Irving.

As someone else said above, Cle will probably figure it out before they become desperate enough for Lebron, I mean their GM, to do this.

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Irving's got better handles than Rondo.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 05:57:09 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Ideally, yes but Irving is a terrific asset for a rebuilding team to either develop (and trade Smart for other assets) or to re-trade (look what Philly got for Jrue Holiday!).

It doesn't matter that much that our roster isn't balanced right away.  We can get there.

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
How do Wade and Bosh circa 2010 compare as side-kicks to Irving and Love circa 2014?

I think Wade and Bosh are much better although I do expect that Cle will be just fine.

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 06:06:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love that Lebron essentially took a night off against Portland, refusing to shoot the ball to teach his teammates a lesson, and Kyrie is considered the immature one.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Irving for Rondo solves some problems but creates others -- the biggest upgrade that I can see is that you're trading a 29 year old All Star point guard for a 22 year old All Star point guard.
...with the 22 year old all star under contractual control for 4.9 seasons and the 28 year old all star under control for only 0.9 seasons.

BINGO!!  I wouldn't consider trading Rondo if he was under contract for the next few years, but considering the circumstances, I would love to get a player of Irvings caliber in return. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I love that Lebron essentially took a night off against Portland, refusing to shoot the ball to teach his teammates a lesson, and Kyrie is considered the immature one.

And I love the fact that he scolded his teammates in the press but added that he's willing to help them.  Such a caring soul. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 06:23:42 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Rondo will be the first one who will decline this offer. He see LeBron as a rival. Why would he join him?

He can't decline anything, he doesn't have a no trade.

and He has already stated he is going to test free agency and wants a max deal. So I pretty much already have him in another Jersey, since I doubt the Celtics are going to offer Rondo a max deal in their current state. rondo is a guy who rounds out a championship roster, not one you build one around, particularly not at 29.

I don't think some perceived "rivalry" is going to come into his decision. We are rivals with the lakers, but if they offer a max and we don't, Rondo will be in purple and gold next season.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 06:26:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

And I love the fact that he scolded his teammates in the press but added that he's willing to help them.  Such a caring soul.

Listen, I hate the guy, but what did he say that every other leader of a team doesn't say

"they have bad habits from losing for years" they do, watch Irving play. he is in full on hero mode, and that comes from trying to carry the team.

" I know how to win" while i hate that this is reality, he has two rings. so he has a point.

"I'm going to teach them and lead them" - that's why they are paying him.

So, While i hate Lebron for alot of reasons, not sure speaking the truth about his team is one of them. If Rondo had said the above, the board would be all about how he is focused and stepping up as a vocal leader.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
So do people think KI is a guard than Rondo?   I think Rondo is a better passer and defender.   KI can shoot better though, hands down and as a result score more.

If folks do not know LeBron is all about him then they have not followed LBJ.

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 06:29:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Maybe if it was Rondo and AB for Irving and fillers.

Cavs would love the passing and D upgrades.

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 06:29:32 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I've been on rec league teams where we have someone incredibly talented that obviously deserves to take a lot of shots, but that person would be so entitled about it that it really poisoned the team atmosphere.  I have been on other rec league teams where we have someone equally talented and equally deserving of the ball, where that person cares way more about winning than how they come off. 

I play so much better on the latter team than the former, which is of course a totally obvious statement.  Pro and rec league are obviously miles apart, but imagine if your entire livelihood depends on your performance in games and one player is going around acting like this.  Imagine the entire country following your team and expecting you to be good while you are putting up the worst stat lines of your career and losing a bunch.  There is no way they are taking the title this year if LeBron doesn't act like a man and get over himself a little.  His teammates will start acting hesitant every play pretty soon.  Dude loves himself just a little too much.