Author Topic: Bill Simmons v. ESPN  (Read 4143 times)

Re: Bill Simmons v. ESPN
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Simmons has a little diva in him no doubt but he also keeps people talking about ESPN - especially their online content.  The brand be weakened if he leaves. 

It's kind of like an NBA team managing a big headed superstar. Good management there would figure out a way to keep him in house but the one problem they have is Simmons growing ego plus the fact that twitter exists.

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
"Sports Guy runs out of original ideas, reinvents self as industry gadfly in order to prolong career."

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 05:55:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
define 'reinvent'  :D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Most of ESPN are "yes" men and used to the company rank and file following lock, stock and barrel.  They kiss up to the stars and leagues and it's refreshing to see someone calling them on it.

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
define 'reinvent'  :D

Haha. Point taken. TP.

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
He's not leaving ESPN because of that ombudsman article.

What he is doing is endangering the careers of a bunch of talented folks over at the Grantland site because his status as company golden boy has been shown to have limits.

I am not sure what writers you are referencing, but the ones I have learned about there I would follow wherever they go. I actually go to Grantland now before ESPN and spend more time on Grantland  because their analysis (Not specifically Simmons, but other writers) is so much better than anything on ESPN. It would be interesting to see if other users have followed my pattern and ESPN is at risk of losing some readers.

I really enjoy listening to Cheap Heat.  :-X
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
meh, I'm not buying this whole real housewives drama the sportsguy is engaging in, imo espn is scripting this stuff to drum up clicks and ratings.

espn:  breaking manufactured news

Interesting. I never thought about it that way, but now that you mention it, I can totally see this being the case
I trust Danny Ainge