Author Topic: Bill Simmons v. ESPN  (Read 4144 times)

Bill Simmons v. ESPN
« on: November 06, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ol' Sports Guy is back at it.  Teeing off on Mike & Mike on Twitter right now.   Was also on Cowherd's show yesterday talking about the Ray Rice situation again (which led to his suspension earlier this fall) and walking the tightrope with "bent the truth" regarding Goodell.

Does this sound like a guy who will be reupping with ESPN when his contract is up next year?  Its look more & more like "No".

From Awful Announcing:  http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/bill-simmons-goes-scorched-earth-calls-mike-mike-absolute-garbage.html

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Bill Simmons v. ESPN
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:41:03 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'd say the chances are much better than 50% that he stays. Probably more like 85% (not having heard the comments he made). I'm sure he's a little p---y about the suspension and has other pet peeves about ESPN. He also has enough cash to have a little freedom of choice now, but like anybody else, he's unlikely to walk away from the big payday where he continues to get the platform doing what he's best at. He's no Dave Chappelle, about to bail on his massive deal.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
 ::)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think its safe to say he won't be back at ESPN. And that is probably starting today after this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/477/probing-the-gray-areas-of-espns-journalism

I did enjoy his last piece for them, get em Bill!

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:49:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not sure I agree with what Simmons is doing here but I will say that Mike & Mike pretty much is pure garbage.

Just so contrived and manufactured.  It's like watered down sports radio.   Same goes for much of their "original programming" both radio & television. 

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
He's not leaving ESPN because of that ombudsman article.

What he is doing is endangering the careers of a bunch of talented folks over at the Grantland site because his status as company golden boy has been shown to have limits.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
meh, I'm not buying this whole real housewives drama the sportsguy is engaging in, imo espn is scripting this stuff to drum up clicks and ratings.

espn:  breaking manufactured news

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 03:00:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

What he is doing is endangering the careers of a bunch of talented folks over at the Grantland site because his status as company golden boy has been shown to have limits.

I am not sure what writers you are referencing, but the ones I have learned about there I would follow wherever they go. I actually go to Grantland now before ESPN and spend more time on Grantland  because their analysis (Not specifically Simmons, but other writers) is so much better than anything on ESPN. It would be interesting to see if other users have followed my pattern and ESPN is at risk of losing some readers.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:07:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I doubt it. There are many better sportswriting websites than Grantland that have either gone under, restructured, or simply been open about the fact that they don't make any money largely because they don't have the visibility of an ESPN product.

I don't read Grantland very often because overall it feels very Huffington Post (with sports!) to me, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. The problem is that there isn't a great feeder system from reading Grantland or some of the SBN blogs to places akin to (the late, lamented) Sports on Earth, and the like.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I figured when Grantland started that it was the first stage in building a framework to divest himself from ESPN, though I don't know how the rights and contracts are set up.  A distinct, branded entity is a pretty good jumping-off point for leaving, assuming he can keep the structure together.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 03:17:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I doubt those writers are losing jobs if Simmons bolts when his contract is up. 

ESPN would be nuts to let people like Barnwell, Lowe, Sharp go.  Those writers are getting some pretty decent followings upon themselves.  Even if Grantland goes "poof", you'd probably see them show up either on the main page or a resurrected Page Two type site. 

If Simmons does go, you'll see a major media outlet like Fox or NBC jump at him.  I'm sure they'd do something similar and throw boatloads of money backing a Grantland type site for him. 

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I think ESPN keeps Grantland going if Simmons does leave, which I'm guessing he won't. But you've got to consider how much restructuring goes on when a site like that changes hands -- I'm sure Charles P. Pierce isn't going to be nearly as free to write his (highpoint of the website excellent) 'The NFL is kind of awful in all sorts of ways' type stories if he doesn't have Simmons' umbrella protecting him.

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I like Bill Simmons, we need more media guys who say what fans actually think. Overreactions and all. 99% of them are robots with manufactured boring opinions.

Olbermann and OTL are the only good shows ESPN has.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It'll be interesting, I mean they just got the Grantland Basketball Hour on ESPN...

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 03:51:33 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

The ESPN ombudsman... this guy is my new favorite editorialist.

Who knew that somewhere lurking the corridors was someone who thought ESPN commentators were "journalists" who trafficked in "facts?" Where did they get this guy?

More importantly, can we get him to go the full McMahon and start his own poo-slinging podcast?

Can we get him to do second-hand mailbags on the regular?