Author Topic: Drama in Cleveland, Opportunity for a trade  (Read 9626 times)

Drama in Cleveland, Opportunity for a trade
« on: November 06, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »

Offline Rodan45

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
http://www.businessinsider.com/dion-waiters-on-cavaliers-role-2014-11

As the link above details Dion isn't fitting into the system. It also doesn't help that Irving isn't a true point guard. A trade of Rondo for Dion seems like something they would jump all over, but I'm not sure how great it is for us considering Dion doesn't like playing defense.

I can see something here, but not sure what. Anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Drama in Cleveland, Opportunity for a trade
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'll reiterate what I've been saying on these boards for quite some time now;

I never want Dion Waiters anywhere near the Celtics.  And certainly not in a deal that gets rid of Rajon Rondo.

Waiters is a "me-first" type gunner who does very little to make those around him any better. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I wouldn't trade Rondo for a gunner Guard who doesn't play defense.  It's not a bad thought, but in addition to it being way to early for Clev to look at trades, he prefers to have the ball in his hands and play pick and roll, and look to score. He's not a great player in transition either, he prefers the half court.

We have to many guards already, and iso pick and rolls with no defense played don't really fit our system.  I would take him if he were cheap, but not for Rondo.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Rondo for Irving, maybe. Rondo for Waiters, move along citizens.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
The only way I want waiters on this team is if their is a major roster overhaul.

He would be a nice fit in a post Rondo team as the 3rd guard behind Smart and AB. This would work if Rondo was traded for a player or pick that becomes a starting center. Then KO and Waiters become the first two bench players. A Rondo for Waiters swap makes little sense.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:52:26 PM »

Offline Rodan45

• Xavier Tillman
I wouldn't trade Rondo for a gunner Guard who doesn't play defense.  It's not a bad thought, but in addition to it being way to early for Clev to look at trades, he prefers to have the ball in his hands and play pick and roll, and look to score. He's not a great player in transition either, he prefers the half court.

We have to many guards already, and iso pick and rolls with no defense played don't really fit our system.  I would take him if he were cheap, but not for Rondo.

How would you feel about Evan turner and a future first?

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:52:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I never want Dion Waiters anywhere near the Celtics.  And certainly not in a deal that gets rid of Rajon Rondo.

Waiters is a "me-first" type gunner who does very little to make those around him any better.

We are missing a "gunner" type. Waiters passes more than you think.

I would be happy to get him. He is shooting 7 -8 shots and should be shooting 13-15 shots. He might start at 3-8 but end up 8 -16. He can get hot and was clutch for syracuse. Big game player. He gets very chance to play his game bc of hot dog irving. And now with lebron, love its even worse

Defense is not as bad as ppl say also.

To cavs: bass, rondo (give him a chance to get another ring)
To celtics:  thompson , waiters, future 1st

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 02:55:29 PM »

Offline Rodan45

• Xavier Tillman
The only way I want waiters on this team is if their is a major roster overhaul.

He would be a nice fit in a post Rondo team as the 3rd guard behind Smart and AB. This would work if Rondo was traded for a player or pick that becomes a starting center. Then KO and Waiters become the first two bench players. A Rondo for Waiters swap makes little sense.

Completely agree, I wasn't implying a straight up swap of players, just that there is something here that might be a deal in the future centered around the two players. I think it's fair to say Cleveland would have to give up more assets, I just don't know which, or if they would make sense.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 02:56:04 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I would be happy to get him. He is shooting 7 -8 shots and should be shooting 13-15 shots. He might start at 3-8 but end up 8 -16. He can get hot and was clutch for syracuse. Big game player. He gets very chance to play his game bc of hot dog irving. And now with lebron, love its even worse

Why am I not surprised you'd be on board with this.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Triboy your posts are devolving into parodies of themselves. There's no way you're really suggesting Rondo for Waiters.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Triboy your posts are devolving into parodies of themselves. There's no way you're really suggesting Rondo for Waiters.

I guess thompson is a nobody.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 03:06:35 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Waiters didn't start on a Syracuse team that fell apart in the postseason when fab melo went down.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Why am I not surprised you'd be on board with this.

Not only on board, i predict there is a good chance a trade like this goes down.

Cavs willing to trade all their young assets except irving to try to win a championship for lebron.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:09:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

We are absolutely not missing a "gunner" type. his name is Evan Turner, and he sucks in this system. 

I think you are confusing Gunner with spot up shooter in transition at the guard position. we are absolutely missing one of those. We have spot upshooters, but no one who has that pull up on the run and knock down a smooth three move down. It might be Young, we'll see as the season goes on.

But what Dion is is a Gunner. they work on some teams. Some teams offensive games revolve around a guy who can handle the ball for most of a possession, use his teammates only as picks, and find a shot. they don't work in a defensive first, fast breaking team that we are trying to build. And We already have a selfish player who doesn't get his teammates involved and doesn't play defense, but has scoring talent, and ET doesn't work in this system.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 03:11:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I guess thompson is a nobody.

You're guessing right.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.