Author Topic: How do we end up with Okafor?  (Read 2738 times)

How do we end up with Okafor?
« on: November 06, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
Just wanted to hear from the Okafor fans of possible scenarios of him ending up on this team.  We have a lot of picks and assets for maneuvering. There's thousands of factors that go into it. My personal hope is a rash of injuries to the sixers and let them end up with 1 and us at 7-8 and let Danny work some magic to get the rights to him. What do you guys think?
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

Re: How do we end up with Okafor?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0

Gotta get lucky and win the lottery.

All those extra picks would only help the Celtics move up to 1 if the started at say the 3rd pick position.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0

All those extra picks would only help the Celtics move up to 1 if the started at say the 3rd pick position.

Not completely true. I think you package say #7 Olynk expirings and some picks there is potential there atleast I would think so. That's if KO improves this season.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
There are a bunch of center prospects in college ball right now. We might have choices come draft day. Kentucky alone has 3 pro level centers on their team: Towns, Cauley-Stein and Johnson.

Myles Turner at Texas is under the radar.

Meanwhile Mudiay might be the best prospect regardless of position.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
I hope we can open some minutes for James young if we do go rebuild. If he could put up a respectable line he has sixers written all over him lol. ;D

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Not completely true. I think you package say #7 Olynk expirings and some picks there is potential there atleast I would think so. That's if KO improves this season.

That's almost like saying the Celtics could have swapped KO, the #6 pick, and a couple extra picks for Wiggins or Parker. It took Kevin Love to pry Wiggins from Cleveland.

I just dont think that is enough to get a top 1-2 pick in a good draft.

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

That's almost like saying the Celtics could have swapped KO, the #6 pick, and a couple extra picks for Wiggins or Parker. It took Kevin Love to pry Wiggins from Cleveland.

I just dont think that is enough to get a top 1-2 pick in a good draft.
agreed. 

1. C's aren't getting Okafor without winning the lottery UNLESS someone has a year that absolutely blows everyone else away where they'd climb into the top spot.  even then, the C's would have to be at #2.
2. C's aren't going to be able to trade up to get him unless they are one position away and they offer a gross overpayment to move up that one spot
3. Other bigs may prove to be very good picks besides Okafor so moving up to get him may be unnecessary.  For example, I think Towns is already a viable option instead of Okafor so having to move heaven and earth to acquire Okafor isn't a necessity.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Trade Rondo, Bass, Green, etc. Bottom out and tank like we should have last season.

Start the young guys, put guys in their natural positions, go young.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:57:53 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
We've got to get a top 5 pick. It looks like, at the very least, we'll finish with top 5 odds. Hopefully the lottery's hex on us doesn't continue. Can we send Lucky to the lottery this year?

If we get that (aside from landing a top 3 pick, which would give us a pretty good shot at Okafor or Towns without trading anything), our chances of trading up would be favorable. One of Sully/Olynyk (preferably Olynyk) + 2015 top 5 pick + a Brooklyn pick should land us a top 2 pick. If it doesn't and we have to settle for the third pick, it's not the end of the world (but I would hope in such a case that Danny would give up a Brooklyn pick that he sees as the least valuable). As I said before, we'd still probably get either Okafor or Towns with the third pick.

This is not 2014. There weren't players similar to Wiggins in the 6-10 range, nor players similar to Parker or Embiid. That's the difference. A team that trades the number one or two pick in 2015 can still get a great big man prospect of their choice with our pick (Myles Turner, anyone?) and acquire Olynyk along with a Brooklyn pick that has legitimate lottery potential.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 04:02:32 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

The top of the draft will change. Right now, the top 3 we assume is Okafor, Townes, and Mudiay in some order, but last year we assumed it would be Wiggins, Randle, and Parker in some order. Then Embiid came out of nowhere.

I agree, though, that the chances of us making the trade up are not good. The other teams up there are going to be the tankers, and they want the maximum upside just as much as we do.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 04:08:48 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
We've got to get a top 5 pick. It looks like, at the very least, we'll finish with top 5 odds. Hopefully the lottery's hex on us doesn't continue. Can we send Lucky to the lottery this year?

I wouldn't be so sure.

We have only played 4 games so far, and all three that we lost have been against strong playoff teams.  The one single game we played against a non (or borderline) playoff team we won in blowout fashion.

If you think this team is going to finish bottom 5 then I think you're going to be dissapointed. We'll find out for sure later down the track, but my point of view hasn't changed - I still think this team will finish better than people expect.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

I wouldn't be so sure.

We have only played 4 games so far, and all three that we lost have been against strong playoff teams.  The one single game we played against a non (or borderline) playoff team we won in blowout fashion.

If you think this team is going to finish bottom 5 then I think you're going to be dissapointed. We'll find out for sure later down the track, but my point of view hasn't changed - I still think this team will finish better than people expect.

Toronto without Amir Johnson and Valanciunas is to strong playoff team as triboy is to objectivity with regards to Rondo.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/