Author Topic: Would ya'll take Joe Johnson on this team if we could dump crash?  (Read 4525 times)

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
Now obviously this idea isn't for anybody, especially the tankers. Joe is overpaid at 23 mill, but he is great talent and one who can create for himself, something we don't have!

Brooklyn lost that trade to us back in 2013, what if we gave them one of their picks back plus the Clippers pick and Sully so they could save some for face for that debacle. We got a Rondo/Johnson backcourt which is nothing short of awesome and Jeff Green becomes even more deadly with that extra floor space. They also take Bass's contract.

We still have plenty of assets to upgrade the frontcourt and land a guy like Horford who apparently is on the market and we're back in the mix in the east.

Would anyone else take this path back to relevance. Get Joe Johnson and use the rest of the assets for a frontcourt?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kcssw2x

Re: Would ya'll take Joe Johnson on this team if we could dump crash?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Sure -- I liked him well enough the first time.

Practically speaking, though, Johnson would be another shooting guard on a team that already has too many, especially since you're not doing anything in the trade to alleviate that logjam.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
Sure -- I liked him well enough the first time.

Practically speaking, though, Johnson would be another shooting guard on a team that already has too many, especially since you're not doing anything in the trade to alleviate that logjam.

I mean we could easily clear that logam in another trade for a frontcourt upgrade. I don't think guys like Millsap or Horford are out of our price range either.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yes!

After that loss last night and those awful turnovers, we need all the help we can get.

Not sure if JJ is the answer but it's not like Wallace is doing anything right now.

Besides, our offense right now is VERY, VERY streaky.

Smart made some big 3s last night as did Bradley, but there was also a point in the game where we couldn't buy a basket.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:13:00 PM by gpap »

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Johnson is already 33 years old and has absolutely no business being on this rebuilding team.

Crash is reconciled to sitting and the young players (make that, Young players) need to the playing time to develop. A mediocre team with aging players and bloated contracts is the last thing Danny needs.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Gawd no!  An EXTRA 12M this year and next for a 33 yr old 2 guard when we just committed to AB's contract and we're in the middle of a rebuild.

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Gawd no!  An EXTRA 12M this year and next for a 33 yr old 2 guard when we just committed to AB's contract and we're in the middle of a rebuild.
Agree!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 12:54:06 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Not a bad idea at all, but nobody wants Wallace, even BKN.

And not giving up Sully for a 33 year old.

Thornton, Evans, parts, pieces...Vitor, maybe KO instead of a pick (I'd keep the pick).

We would still be a starting center away.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think we are one piece away if you do, you're at odds with reality.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No. His contract is way too big for a team that is already guard heavy and won't be contending. There isn't a point in taking away time from our youngsters just to let a former All-Star get touches and maybe an extra 3 to 4 wins on the season.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I don't think we are one piece away if you do, you're at odds with reality.

Oh yes.  Not one piece from being the favorite, but one piece nonetheless.

A legit starting NBA center, preferably at least top-10 in the league...on both ends.

But one piece nonetheless.

It looks like a goat rodeo out there on defense because of the missing anchor.

And about 28 other teams have us beat hands-down at the position.  Not far from that, anyway.

Otherwise, I'll take the Finals-tested backcourt of Rondo/Bradley against anybody, and I'll even take my chances with the efficient and selfless JGreen at SF since he plays the superstar SFs as well as anyone, and can more than keep them honest at the other end.

Sully/Bass or Bass/Sully, take your pick.  Bass is tested and proven.  We know they'll combine for 20+pts most nights.

Bench?  Wallace counts as a player here, and he has something to offer, more at PF in today's way of things (against Lebron and Melo still). 

The hole in the middle just sucks for everybody.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Made a similar post a few weeks ago...Definitely wouldn't include Sullinger. If anything Kelly Olynyk. Id be reluctant to give him up too tho.

For Johnson I'd give them Crash, Bradley, Bass, 2015 Clippers pick, and maybe the Cavs pick. Essentially they'd be getting AB and picks for a 33 y.o Joe Johnson. Johnson is versatile so he could play SG or SF; which means Evan Turner could also be included in a trade for JJ as well.

A line up of Rondo, JJ, Green, Sully, Olynyk (until we get a rim protector) would be good. Would allow us to go small with a lineup of Rondo, Smart, JJ, Green, Sully instead of Bradley at the 2 and Smart at the 3.

Id also consider throwing in Olynyk, Young, a filler, and more picks for Brook Lopez if he becomes available!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:25:14 PM by CsBanner18 »

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
talentwise, sure.  costwise, no.

as others have said, we're rebuilding and he's not going to get us over the hump.  his contract runs the same length as Wallace's and is over double the amount.  kills whatever flexibility we have for FAs that year.

We'd be helping Brooklyn more than they're helping us by taking on that contract so I'm not paying the suggested steep price to get him.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:49:33 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
not at the point, we are rebuilding and possibly clearing cap space to sign a potential young star. Johnson is a great addition but will probably cost too much down the line and eat up our cap space.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I still think Joe is pretty good player even at his age. He impressed me a lot when he was clutch in that playoff series against Toronto last year; basically him and Pierce were the only ones who kept the Nets in those games.

Now if we had acquired Love or Melo or a legit All-Star back in the offseason, I could see the push for adding Joe next to Rondo and hoping for a deep playoff run this year. But as of now, I just don't see any reason for wanting Joe Johnson on this team.