Author Topic: What about Kevin Seraphin?  (Read 1068 times)

What about Kevin Seraphin?
« on: November 05, 2014, 05:41:34 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I've been thinking about getting Kevin Seraphin in green for a long time. He is still young (24) and developing, but he has shown he is a reliable threat from midrange, OK on defense, and a very good pick & roll player.

I think he would benefit greatly from playing with Rondo, and so would Rondo, who clearly lacks a good pick & roll center, who can catch great passes and finish to the rim. Zeller is OK but clearly Seraphin would be better on both ends, and, to me, Rondo and extended minutes in Boston would allow Seraphin to reach his potential (or part of it for this season).

Obviously he wouldn't fulfill our glaring need for a rim protector but I think he could be a gamble, in the sense that he is a free agent next summer and still very young, so if he works out really well, we could extend him and bet on his future or simply let him go if the experiment fails short or not good enough. The thing is, we could definitely give him a lot of minutes to see what he can do.

Now the tricky part is to find a way to get him, and if Washington would agree to trade him. I think we had no shot in previous years but now that they do have some depth at the 4/5 positions (Nene/Gortat, backed up by Humphries/Gooden/Blair) maybe they would accept it.

Although I don't see who we could give trade : Thornton plus a pick could have appealed to the Wizards but the salaries don't match. Maybe a 3rd team would be necessary? Thoughts on Seraphin and a possible trade scenario?

Re: What about Kevin Seraphin?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I've been thinking about getting Kevin Seraphin in green for a long time. He is still young (24) and developing, but he has shown he is a reliable threat from midrange, OK on defense, and a very good pick & roll player.

I think he would benefit greatly from playing with Rondo, and so would Rondo, who clearly lacks a good pick & roll center, who can catch great passes and finish to the rim. Zeller is OK but clearly Seraphin would be better on both ends, and, to me, Rondo and extended minutes in Boston would allow Seraphin to reach his potential (or part of it for this season).

Obviously he wouldn't fulfill our glaring need for a rim protector but I think he could be a gamble, in the sense that he is a free agent next summer and still very young, so if he works out really well, we could extend him and bet on his future or simply let him go if the experiment fails short or not good enough. The thing is, we could definitely give him a lot of minutes to see what he can do.

Now the tricky part is to find a way to get him, and if Washington would agree to trade him. I think we had no shot in previous years but now that they do have some depth at the 4/5 positions (Nene/Gortat, backed up by Humphries/Gooden/Blair) maybe they would accept it.

Although I don't see who we could give trade : Thornton plus a pick could have appealed to the Wizards but the salaries don't match. Maybe a 3rd team would be necessary? Thoughts on Seraphin and a possible trade scenario?

It appears as if he can't be traded at the moment; however when he can, what about Jeff Green + a 1st (CLE or LAC 1st) for Otto Porter, Jr. and Seraphin? Does Washington go for this?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I dont think we'd have a problem getting him.

Most people here in DC dont care too much for him.  I know hes regularly called the black hole on the sports junkies morning show.  Once you send the ball in to him, youre not getting it back.

Thats Brandon Bass' job on this team, and hes better.

Greg

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 06:44:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It appears as if he can't be traded at the moment; however when he can, what about Jeff Green + a 1st (CLE or LAC 1st) for Otto Porter, Jr. and Seraphin? Does Washington go for this?

As mentioned in another Kevin Seraphin thread, he cannot be traded without his permission this year, and for CBA reasons, he would be unlikely to do so.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Seraphin is a fringe NBA player.  8 pts and 4 rebounds in 20 minutes.  Doesn't block shots.  Mediocre efficiency.  He's definitely not going to change our fortunes and I wouldn't give up ANY assets for him.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Kevin Seraphin just barely fits into the trade exception generated by the Joel Anthony-Will Bynum trade.  I don't think the Wizards have used up all of the Ariza trade exception.

If you think Seraphin is an upgrade on Zeller, you should be able to trade Zeller for Seraphin using trade exceptions to facilitate the deal.  If Seraphin would agree to a trade and the Wizards were willing, would you make that trade?  If you aren't willing, you either place a lot of value on that trade exception or you don't really believe Seraphin is an upgrade on Zeller as a center at both ends of the floor.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference