Author Topic: We Can Play With These Guys  (Read 4492 times)

We Can Play With These Guys
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:35:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Watching the Bulls-Cavs game tonight, I kept thinking:

We can play with these guys.

These are considered the two best teams in the Eastern Conference.  I'm not all that impressed.  Our perimeter pressure is better than either team.  Our 3 point shooting is better. We don't have the interior defense of the Bulls, but with the 3 point range of our bigs is a great antidote for that deficiency.

We can play with these guys!!

Re: We Can Play With These Guys
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:54:59 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Second game of the season and they've probably not gelled yet...

BUT I'M ALL IN!!!!!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 12:05:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
They have at least 2-3 All stars on each team, they have better interior D and arguably equal or better 3 point shooting.

Take 10-15 games before blowing your wad.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 02:07:46 AM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Second game of the season and they've probably not gelled yet...

BUT I'M ALL IN!!!!!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
They have at least 2-3 All stars on each team, they have better interior D and arguably equal or better 3 point shooting.

Take 10-15 games before blowing your wad.

Loose. Maybe true but still lol

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 02:54:07 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

These are considered the two best teams in the Eastern Conference.  I'm not all that impressed.  Our perimeter pressure is better than either team.  Our 3 point shooting is better. We don't have the interior defense of the Bulls, but with the 3 point range of our bigs is a great antidote for that deficiency.

No, we can't.  Against Chicago, it won't matter how great our defense could be because Noah and Gasol will dominate the boards.  The size differential is simply too much for us to overcome right now.  We won't be able to get any clean rebounds, so we'll have to rely on our half court offense (whatever that is ;D).  Ugh.  It's going to be a massacre.  Even without Rose, the Bulls were right there with the Cavs and arguably should have won, but Tristan Thompson played out of his mind and Lebron, as much as I hate him, simply took over the game in the extra session.  Man, I know that Chicago is being cautious with Rose, but doesn't it feel like the guy is made of glass?  Too many of these dudes are thoroughbred horses nowadays, lol.

Also, against Cleveland, we're going to have the same problem with rebounding.  Love has been, well, himself, in these first two games, and Varejao is going to flop his way into fouls and hustle his badonkadonk ;D off for rebounds, so I don't see us being able to do much with them, either.  We will be slayed.  The only things I'm looking forward to seeing are if Lebron tries to guard Rondo (lol, good luck), because Kyrie sure as hell can't, and if Smart gets a chance to match up with Lebron, let alone Irving.  I'm sure that James will annihilate Marcus, but I still want to see if Smart can do anything with him.  It'll be like watching a Panzer IV vs. a King Tiger haha ;D

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 05:46:37 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
It's more fun to root for David than Goliath, ain't it?

That's the NBA though.  On any given night, bounces, fouls, etc.

In 7 games, we're done in 5 max, though.  And that's optimistic.

We're a Hibbert away from giving anyone a serious run.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 06:28:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

No, we can't.  Against Chicago, it won't matter how great our defense could be because Noah and Gasol will dominate the boards.  The size differential is simply too much for us to overcome right now.  We won't be able to get any clean rebounds, so we'll have to rely on our half court offense (whatever that is ;D).  Ugh.  It's going to be a massacre.  Even without Rose, the Bulls were right there with the Cavs and arguably should have won, but Tristan Thompson played out of his mind and Lebron, as much as I hate him, simply took over the game in the extra session.  Man, I know that Chicago is being cautious with Rose, but doesn't it feel like the guy is made of glass?  Too many of these dudes are thoroughbred horses nowadays, lol.

Also, against Cleveland, we're going to have the same problem with rebounding.  Love has been, well, himself, in these first two games, and Varejao is going to flop his way into fouls and hustle his badonkadonk ;D off for rebounds, so I don't see us being able to do much with them, either.  We will be slayed.  The only things I'm looking forward to seeing are if Lebron tries to guard Rondo (lol, good luck), because Kyrie sure as hell can't, and if Smart gets a chance to match up with Lebron, let alone Irving.  I'm sure that James will annihilate Marcus, but I still want to see if Smart can do anything with him.  It'll be like watching a Panzer IV vs. a King Tiger haha ;D.

yes

we

can

Chicago had the same size advantage over the Cavs and it did not get them the win last night on their home court. Yes, the Cavs have LeBron, but we have Rondo, and we have better shooting bigs to draw those big guys out and open space for our other players.

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 07:30:23 AM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16

Chicago had the same size advantage over the Cavs and it did not get them the win last night on their home court. Yes, the Cavs have LeBron, but we have Rondo, and we have better shooting bigs to draw those big guys out and open space for our other players.

Silly me thinking Cleveland traded for the best shooting big in the NBA this summer.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
LOL at this thread.
One game and people talking championship.
In the Big 3 era there were games when we looked bad, like Brooklyn in the first game, but most of the people knew we are a force in the playoffs.
It's the inverse right now. The celtics will beat teams on pure hustle and pace, but when the other team brings the same intensity, talent will excel.
So not so fast.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If "we can play with these guys" means "we can be competitive in regular season games against them", that's pretty reasonable, because we were competitive in some of those games last year - even won a few.  Taking top teams to crunch time, and sometimes beating them, in less meaningful games would be a reasonable benchmark for our team getting better.

If "we can play with these guys" means "we can have a similar record" and/or "we can beat them in a 7-game series", well then that's a bit too far to take things.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 10:51:22 AM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12

Also, against Cleveland, we're going to have the same problem with rebounding.  Love has been, well, himself, in these first two games, and Varejao is going to flop his way into fouls and hustle his badonkadonk ;D off for rebounds, so I don't see us being able to do much with them, either.  We will be slayed.  The only things I'm looking forward to seeing are if Lebron tries to guard Rondo (lol, good luck), because Kyrie sure as hell can't, and if Smart gets a chance to match up with Lebron, let alone Irving.  I'm sure that James will annihilate Marcus, but I still want to see if Smart can do anything with him.  It'll be like watching a Panzer IV vs. a King Tiger haha ;D.
" if Smart gets a chance to match up with Lebron, let alone Irving.  I'm sure that James will annihilate Marcus, but I still want to see if Smart can do anything with him.  It'll be like watching a Panzer IV vs. a King Tiger haha ;D. "

Let's see.......Marcus Smart could not shut down elite Big 12 PG's last year in big conference games and he suddenly is going to lock down on Lebron or Kyrie? Uh.....no.

Deandre Kane averaged 28.5 PPG with two near triple doubles head to head against Smart last season. Juwan Staten got 20 a game head to head against Smart.

Smart appears to be an excellent on ball defender so far, but the NBA is all about ball screens. No way is he ready to shut down elite NBA players.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
BANNER 18 BAYBEEEHHHH!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
NJ was playing without arguably their best player, rebounder, and rim protector.

Tonight will be a lot better barometer of where the team is.

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 01:02:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yes, I get that Brooklyn was playing without a key player.  But the Celtics had their best offensive performance dating back to the prime of the Big 3 era -- certainly in the time since we've played worse teams than the Nets, and we weren't able to do that.  What gets some of us excited is what the team looks like when it's running on all cylinders.  Will that happen every night? No.  Will we play better teams than the Nets? Yes.  But the team that showed up for the first game of the year looked a lot better than a 25-win team, and if that's a sign of things to come, it could be a fun year.