Author Topic: Draft pedigrees of the Bulls + Cavs are impressive.  (Read 5105 times)

Draft pedigrees of the Bulls + Cavs are impressive.
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Watching the Bulls/Cavs now and it struck me how much lottery talent was on the floor.

1st overall pick: LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose.
3rd overall pick: Pau Gasol, Mike Dunleavy Jr.
4th overall pick: Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters.
5th overall pick: Kevin Love.
7th overall pick: Kirk Hinrich.
10th overall pick: Joakim Noah.

Not so consequential bench guys: Mike Miller (5th), Shawn Marion (9th).

Cavs starting 5: 80% lottery picks (Varejao first pick of 2nd round)
Bulls starting 5: 100% lottery picks.

When Butler is back he will start and Hinrich will be back to the bench, making them 80%. However, even though Varejao starts Thompson is the more important player, meaning they are 100% lottery guys at the end of the game.

Re: Draft pedigrees of the Bulls + Cavs are impressive.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So the lesson is that the Celtics should tank?  ;)

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 11:07:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
yes, for 13 years.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 11:11:33 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The aristocrats of the NBA.

Some people are just better than others. Better pedigree.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 11:11:56 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

No they should have the 9th worst record and just let the rest fall into place.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 11:30:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Cavs is not brains .....their lucky drafting or getting picks exceeds even the luck of the a Lakers.

It's really uncanny

Somebody in that FO either had a lucky charm up his rear end or is in good with the big fellow upstairs.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

I admit that I'm usually pro-tank but it depends on the situation. I though Ainge should go full tank but I understand Rondo had basically no value coming off injury last year. It was just really unfortunate timing.

We have to get that one superstar who can convince others to come here and I just don't see one becoming available or willing to come here just for Rondo. Tanking is obviously a risk but so is choosing to be mediocre in hopes for a superstar trade or big FA signing happening.

Getting a star in the draft means you basically control their rights until they're 27-28. If you get the right guys it can be so much more valuable than trading for a veteran who has a shorter window.

I want the Celtics to have someone who could be considered one of the best 4-5 players in the league, like when they had Garnett. Being in the position to draft a guy like that may be unlikely but so are the odds of acquiring them by trade/free agency. There are a lot of teams (too many) with assets and cap space but it means nothing if nobody wants to sign with you.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 11:51:32 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Having guys from top 10 pick aren't necessary.

You can have a team of Adam Morrison, Johny Flynn, Kwame Brown, Darius Miles and Ron Mercer and your team will still suck.

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 01:19:23 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

You can have a team of Adam Morrison, Johny Flynn, Kwame Brown, Darius Miles and Ron Mercer and your team will still suck.

There's a difference between "necessary" and "sufficient." I think you mean the latter.

But as far as being "necessary" - yeah, you need top 10 picks. Most championship teams have several, and none have had zero.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 01:25:11 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

There's a difference between "necessary" and "sufficient." I think you mean the latter.

But as far as being "necessary" - yeah, you need top 10 picks. Most championship teams have several, and none have had zero.

What I mean by "necessary" is you don't need every starting 5 of your team to be drafted in the top 10. Just one or two is enough. San Antonio built a championship team where Duncan is the only guy drafted in the top 10.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 02:06:10 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

What I mean by "necessary" is you don't need every starting 5 of your team to be drafted in the top 10. Just one or two is enough. San Antonio built a championship team where Duncan is the only guy drafted in the top 10.

No, it's not right to say "one or two is enough." Overall the Heat had eight. The Mavs had seven. The Lakers had four. The Celtics had three. The Pistons had four. The Heat team before that had six. Etc.

And these are not necessarily bench guys. The Heat's top 5 by minutes had 3-4 top 10 picks. Every single one of Dallas' top 5 by minutes was a top 10 pick. For the Lakers it was 3 of the top 6. For the Celtics, the top 3. And so on.

One's been "enough" twice in the last 40 years by my count.

To win championships you need top 20 players in the league, and the vast majority of those players are top 10 draft picks.

The Spurs are as always an exception, but they're just that. Their "one guy" was one of the most coveted #1 picks of the modern era, and has a good claim to being the best power forward ever. They won their first two rings with another #1 pick (and other top 10 picks). Then they reeled off the best streak of drafting in modern NBA history.

If what you're saying is "You can do it with one top 10 pick, but he has to be a #1 and one of the best players ever, and then you have to out-draft other teams by leaps and bounds," I'd agree. But that isn't really something from which you can generalize.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 02:38:29 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So the Celtics should just tank this year like the Sixers?

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 04:39:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'd guess most nba teams have multiple top 10 picks on them. You'd expect most title teams to have them as well. The key is to have top players. Most of them are high draft picks, but there are plenty of meh players drafted in that range as well. If the Cavs didn't get James they could have ended up starting 2 #1 picks and 2 #4 picks and still be nowhere in terms of contending.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 09:21:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Chicago has blantantly tanked and so have the CAVs in the pedigree.

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
yes, for 13 years.

I just crapped my pants