Author Topic: Rubio gets 4 years, $56m  (Read 11705 times)

Re: Rubio gets 4 years, $56m
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 08:02:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
All I can figure is he is a heavy liked fan favorite up there and they need all the support they can muster  , put fans into the seats .....even if his actually contribution is  not heavy with stats .

It just it was make -up gift for fans,  bringing him back at any cost .....since they lost K Love.

He is not Pistol Pete in any form or fashion .....delusional for those fans to think so.

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 08:28:17 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
$14 mil per for a guy that is probably the worst shooter in the NBA and can't play D... wow!!! A lot of money for a guy that provides some flashy passes

It's comments like this that make me think people haven't watched him play and make comments simply to make them.

Rubio does have his weaknesses, but defense is definitely not one of them. He has excellent instincts which makes him one of the best in the NBA at steals and one of the better defensive players in the NBA.

Timberwolves point guard Ricky Rubio was not among the 10 players named to the NBA all-defensive team Monday, but he did receive five votes to the first team. Rubio received 19 points in all. It took a minimum of 76 points to make the second team. Two points were awarded for first-team votes and one point for votes for the second team.

Rubio just turned 24 10 days ago and last year averaged 9.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 8.6 apg, and 2.3 spg. He is a bad shooter. However, he's a career 80% from the FT line, so it's not like he's a liability there. His form has also improved a lot, working with shooting coach Mike Penberthy since the summer, and I expect it to to pay dividends sooner rather than later.

His passing is also exceptional and one of the best players in this as well.

NBA GM pollWhich player is the best passer?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 64.3%
2. LeBron James, Cleveland -- 10.7%
Rajon Rondo, Boston -- 10.7%
Ricky Rubio, Minnesota -- 10.7%
5. Steve Nash, L.A. Lakers -- 3.6%
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:36:42 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 09:04:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Eddie20 is right.  Rubio is a good defender.  But the point guard position is so deep right now, it seems like it would be easy to find better value than what they paid Rubio.  Isiah Thomas has been tearing it up in Phoenix for peanuts, for example.

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Good defender, media darling.  I wouldn't pay him that much.  Mo Williams will wind up playing crunch time minutes for them.  That's an expensive second-rate point guard.

Rondo is definitely a max player.  So is Klay Thompson.

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Eddie20 is right.  Rubio is a good defender.  But the point guard position is so deep right now, it seems like it would be easy to find better value than what they paid Rubio.  Isiah Thomas has been tearing it up in Phoenix for peanuts, for example.
Thomas is scoring a lot and shooting well, but doesn't do much else and he isn't going to keep that pace up.  He is also making 7.2 million, which isn't exactly peanuts.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Is he marrying the owners daughter or something ?

Haha nice.

I would have to rank Rubio among the bottom 5 starting PGs in the league.  Miami, Philly, Orlando....  I literally can't think of any other teams with a worse PG.  Then there's all the teams with backup PGs better than him like Crawford, Isaiah Thomas, etc.  Then there's all the PGs playing SG like Bradley, Dragic, etc.  Bradley's contract is basically what I thought the ABSOLUTE max for Rubio would be.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2014, 11:27:26 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
$14 mil per for a guy that is probably the worst shooter in the NBA and can't play D... wow!!! A lot of money for a guy that provides some flashy passes

It's comments like this that make me think people haven't watched him play and make comments simply to make them.

Rubio does have his weaknesses, but defense is definitely not one of them. He has excellent instincts which makes him one of the best in the NBA at steals and [but that doesn't make him] one of the better defensive players in the NBA.

Fixed.

Please, go on and tell us how defense was one of Allen Iverson's strengths, and how he was one of the better defensive players in the NBA.  That's about the defensive equivalent of Rubio as of right now.  I'd say you're doing exactly what you're accusing other people of doing:  taking stats at face value rather than going by what you see from him.
Philly:

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Then there's all the PGs playing SG like Bradley, Dragic, etc.  Bradley's contract is basically what I thought the ABSOLUTE max for Rubio would be.

Bradley is a SG playing SG.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
Then there's all the PGs playing SG like Bradley, Dragic, etc.  Bradley's contract is basically what I thought the ABSOLUTE max for Rubio would be.

Bradley is a SG playing SG.

Bradley is a combo guard currently playing SG for us.  That's not so much the point as is he's 2 inches shorter than Rubio.

FYI, Bradley broke out on the Celtics playing PG during a Rondo injury.  His greatest impact on the court has come from hounding PGs fullcourt.  His ideal role would be playing PG beside another ballhandler like LeBron.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:20:20 PM by mgent »
Philly:

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 12:18:51 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
Double post.
Philly:

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Bradley is one of the most incompetent ball handlers at the guard position in the league. Comparing him to Rubio and other PGs is absurd.

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
Bradley is one of the most incompetent ball handlers at the guard position in the league. Comparing him to Rubio and other PGs is absurd.

See above.
Philly:

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 12:22:20 PM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
This is a TERRIBLE contract for the following reasons:

A. PG is now the most stocked position in the league
B. Rubio is not a bad player - but he is not an above average starting PG in this league.
C. Nobody is clamoring to sign Rubio. Seriously - who is waiting to snatch him up?
D. MCW could be had for a 1st round pick. Let that sink in. He is younger than Rubio, arguably better, much higher ceiling and he is locked in to rookie scale for next 3 years

P.S. for those thinking Thompson Max contract makes this one look good - quite the opposite. There are very few good SG  in the league. He is arguably one of the top 3 shooters in the league and teams were going into a feeding frenzy thinking about snapping him up....

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 12:29:19 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
Also, saying Bradley is one of the most incompetent ball handlers in the league is a gross overexertion.  Compared to other 2 guards, I'm sure he's at least in the 60-70th percentile.  I'll give you that he struggled early on adapting to the NBA like many inexperienced players do.  Regardless, I never compared Bradley to Rubio from a ball-handling perspective, only from a price standpoint.
Philly:

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 12:31:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He got over paid given the situation Wolves won't be good for 3 years anyways. Then in fourth year Rubio is a trade chip as a good size expiring deal. Also given his willingness to pass he can help young guys develop quickly. His ft% isn't bad so his shooting has a chance to improve based on past NBA players development.  His D is okay but he can't guard consistently due more to speed than effort related. This deal overall may look bad now but in year four he could be worth a 14 per salary.

So putting gm hat on in this market:
8 million I'd love the deal.
10 million per I'd like the deal.
12 million typical overpay which is fine but I'd pass.
14 million "Wolves only" overpay,.