Author Topic: Burks' 42 million extension as compared to Bradley's  (Read 2620 times)

Burks' 42 million extension as compared to Bradley's
« on: October 31, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11796613/alec-burks-agrees-4-year-42-million-extension-utah-jazz

Without knowing too much about Burks (despite him being the thirteenth man on my fantasy team) I'd have to say Bradley's extension now looks like a bargain or at least market value if you believe Burks is a little better.

I was one of the skeptical ones regarding Bradley's contract, but no longer!

Re: Burks' 42 million extension as compared to Bradley's
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
a lot of money for a player I consider inferior to AB.  frightening to think how fast AB's deal is looking better and better in light of the financial insanity around the league since then

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
frightening to think how fast AB's deal is looking better and better in light of the financial insanity around the league since then

Correct, although I think Utah would have a harder time with free agents than Boston, and have to overpay the players they want to keep because of it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Looking at Utah's current contracts, it kind of makes sense. Hayward got the max and is going to make about 15.5/year. Favors signed a below market deal at around 12/per. Assuming they like Burks and, as DOS said can't attract any other FAs, Burks coming in at 10 fits in well.

The fact is they can afford it since they're so far under the cap. The question is whether this young core (they also have Trey Burke for cheap for three more years) can ultimately bring them into contention. A lot is riding on Exum's development, obviously.

I wonder what Enes Kanter was offered. Like Burks he was up for extension and he decided to become a restricted next year.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 04:04:05 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I definitely rate Bradley as a better player than Burks. While Burks is a better shooter/scorer, AB is twice the defender Burks is. So yeah, the Bradley deal wasn't too shabby.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
a lot of money for a player I consider inferior to AB.  frightening to think how fast AB's deal is looking better and better in light of the financial insanity around the league since then

Same as Rondo's deal and Green's deal, really.  Danny is pretty good at getting ahead of the market.  Bass's deal still doesn't look great, though.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 04:15:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Imagine what Dwight Powell is going to command when he's a free agent!

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 05:18:17 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
And Kemba Walker just signed for 4yrs/$48mil.

Bradley's a fair deal and Rondo will get the max if that is what the market is paying for Burks and Walker.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I like Burks, but that does seem quite a bit high.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 05:30:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I definitely rate Bradley as a better player than Burks. While Burks is a better shooter/scorer, AB is twice the defender Burks is. So yeah, the Bradley deal wasn't too shabby.
Bradley is an undersized guard who cannot play the point. Burks is a prototypical SG. Utah are paying for potential, but so did we with Bradley.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Bradley is better then burks in my opinion and he's 10 mill. cheaper.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 06:06:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Thought the exact same thing seeing this.

frightening to think how fast AB's deal is looking better and better in light of the financial insanity around the league since then

Correct, although I think Utah would have a harder time with free agents than Boston, and have to overpay the players they want to keep because of it.

Agreed but we aren't a super destination either to many.  Unless we have something going for us like the big three or Doc.  I think Stevens and Rondo can provide that though.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 06:20:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Looks like one of those contracts where a team overpays now for a young prospect they believe in because they fear if they wait it out and let the situation develop further, they'll end up paying much more money down the line. Like they did this summer with Gordon Hayward having to give him a max contract deal.

This Burks' contract (overpay) is to avoid that type of situation developing next summer.

I don't think we'll know whether this was a smart move or the wrong move until later in the season after we get a chance to see how Burks has developed. It could be a great deal for Utah, it could be terrible or just about anything in between. Very hard to tell. A lot of risk but there could be a lot of reward here too. Have to wait and see.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Bradley is an undersized guard who cannot play the point. Burks is a prototypical SG. Utah are paying for potential, but so did we with Bradley.

Bradley is still better than Burks though.

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
And Kemba Walker just signed for 4yrs/$48mil.

Bradley's a fair deal and Rondo will get the max if that is what the market is paying for Burks and Walker.
What will max be for Rondo next year?