Author Topic: After one game Perry Jones is already a better pick than Fab Melo  (Read 8589 times)

Re: After one game Perry Jones is already a better pick than Fab Melo
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Look guys I know it's one game

Actually, it was his 102nd game, but who's counting?

... and also about the 102nd post on Fab Melo being a bust, and everyone picked after him being great. But who's counting?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I thought it was a no brainer and high upside pick.... the guy was projected top 5 for 2 years. I think Danny did the what was considered safe by picking Melo who people thought would be atleast decent.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I like that there's a why didn't we pick DeAndre Jordan thread and a why did we pick Fab thread.  You know what, it's a bit of a crapshoot, and high risk sometimes does pay off, while other times it does.  Most of the NBA considered Sullinger too high of a risk, and that's worked out great for us.  PJ3 has been pretty uninspiring for most of his career.

The plus side of having a bazillion draft picks is that you can strike out occasionally.  I personally wanted Draymond Green with that pick, but I understood that the team had a need for size, and clearly still does.  That team had just given Ryan Hollins significant minutes in the ECF -- PJ3 would have been not very useful, nor would have Draymond Green.

Also, despite Fab's lack of success, he still wasn't as useless as Royce White, who was taken 6 picks earlier.  And while Kendall Marshall has slightly rebounded to role of backup point guard on lottery teams, he was a failure at pick 13, and was released before his second season like Fab.  There was a lot of missing in that draft, before and after Fab was picked.  It was described as very deep, and while there was value later on (such as Sully at 21 and Green in the second round), the duds are spread throughout the first round.

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 12:10:31 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
no point in taking Perry at that point since we already took Sullinger a pick before. They play the same position and both had injury concern. I could see why we didn't want to take two guys who plays the same position and both had injury risks. And I don't think anyone is complaining about picking Sullinger over Jones because he's done MUCH more at this point in their careers
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Ainge missed on the Melo pick, but he got an absolute steal with Sully at #21.  If you redrafted the 2012 draft, Sully would go as high as maybe fifth.  I'll take that result any day. 

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I like that there's a why didn't we pick DeAndre Jordan thread and a why did we pick Fab thread.

The thing those picks have in common is that they were players drafted for position instead of the best player available.  They were also win-now picks, where Ainge hoped the players could step in and immediately play 10-15 mpg as a rookie on a contender, even if they were unlikely to develop into role players. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
We all knew this in 2012

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The good news....
2015 - three first round picks, ours and the Clippers and maybe the 76ers
2016 - three first round picks, ours and the Nets and the Cavs
2017 - one first round pick, the better of ours or the Nets
2018 - two first round picks, ours and the Nets

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The good news....
2015 - three first round picks, ours and the Clippers and maybe the 76ers
2016 - three first round picks, ours and the Nets and the Cavs
2017 - one first round pick, the better of ours or the Nets
2018 - two first round picks, ours and the Nets

Not happenin'

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 02:26:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I like that there's a why didn't we pick DeAndre Jordan thread and a why did we pick Fab thread.

The thing those picks have in common is that they were players drafted for position instead of the best player available.  They were also win-now picks, where Ainge hoped the players could step in and immediately play 10-15 mpg as a rookie on a contender, even if they were unlikely to develop into role players.

Melo was drafted for position, but he was not a "Win-now" pick.  He was always seen as raw.  The hope was that by the end of the year he might be able to take a few minutes from our tired bigs and provide injury insurance in the playoffs, but that's not really win-now.  My point is that raw bigs are inherently risky, and Fab and DeAndre Jordan easily could have been reversed in terms of who had success.

Furthermore, position does matter when drafting.  Perry Jones III would still be behind 3 players we have on our team now and had on our roster/hoped to re-sign at the time of the draft in Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, and Jared Sullinger, not to mention Paul Pierce for a year.  His development has been slow to begin with in OKC, it might have been even worse here.  Best player available may make sense at the top of the draft, but when you're in the 20s, talent is pretty bunched, and you take the best player of the 2-3 positions where you have a need.  3/4 hybrid players were not what the Celtics needed in 2012, and they still aren't what the Celtics need in 2014.  A center was then and is now.  It's unfortunate Fab didn't pan out, and maybe a different center ought to have been picked, but PJ3 would have been the wrong pick.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Ainge missed on the Melo pick, but he got an absolute steal with Sully at #21.  If you redrafted the 2012 draft, Sully would go as high as maybe fifth.  I'll take that result any day.

Exactly.

Ainge had two picks.  He needed a big man.  He gambled both, hoping one of them would pay off.

He gambled #21 on Sully's back being fixable.

He gambled #22 on Fab having enough savvy in his head to be 'coached up' to match his NBA body.

Both players had high upside if the gamble paid off.

He lost the gamble with #22 and so far it looks like he won big on #21.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Never understood the Melo pick, terrible in college usually means terrible in the NBA

Here is the answer:

22: Fab Melo
23: John Jenkins (bunch of time in D-League, out for all of last season)
24: Jared Cunningham (21 career games in 2 years, although on Clips now)
25: Tony Wroten (he is an ok player for fantasy, although I'm unsure about real life)
26: Miles Plumlee (he is ok)
27: Arnett Moultrie (out of the league)
28: PJ3 (I wanted him when the pick was happening)
29: Marquis Teague (out of the league)
30: Festus Ezeli (he's ok)
31: Jeffery Taylor (he's ok)
32: Tomas Satoransky (out of the league)
33: Bernard James (out of the league)

That is a total crapshoot of a list of players.  I wanted PJ3 at the time, but I feel like I would have given up on him by now.  He didn't do anything the last two years

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Exactly.

Ainge had two picks.  He needed a big man.  He gambled both, hoping one of them would pay off.

He gambled #21 on Sully's back being fixable.

He gambled #22 on Fab having enough savvy in his head to be 'coached up' to match his NBA body.

Both players had high upside if the gamble paid off.

He lost the gamble with #22 and so far it looks like he won big on #21.

I think that this is a really good way to look at it.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Obviously, with hindsight, the Melo pick looks awful.   But, as like others have said, look who they got the pick before him.

Picking in the latter third of the first round, it's pretty much throwing darts.  I have no problems with the drafting philosophy of drafting "high risk/high reward" at that juncture in the draft.  If a guy sinks to the bottom of the first round, its because there are question marks and concerns one way or another.  Danny nailed one with Sully and struck out on the other one with Melo.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 03:27:28 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
jones is averaging 3.3 ppg for his career (102 games), let's not elect him to the hall of fame just yet. and five other teams passed on jones after the celtics did. also, jones didn't fill a need at the time, the c's were still "contending" and needed a C, not a flexible forward.
and yeah. melo sucks, but he DID have potential, he just has nothing between the ears, and has a low motor. at times in the d-league he seemed to wake up and did play some inspired basketball.