Author Topic: Danny, Why Didn't You Draft DeAndre Jordan in 2008?  (Read 4650 times)

Re: Danny, Why Didn't You Draft DeAndre Jordan in 2008?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 10:04:56 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I doubt Jordan would develop as the player he is now with Doc Rivers on board.

Funny enough, look who's coaching now.

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 10:13:23 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
We can say the same to about 10+ teams.

I bet other team bloga are also saying "why (insert GM name) didnt draft Jared Sullinger" on thwir forums.

You win some, you lose some.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah, that's like the basketball equivalent of a "NHS would've let Stephen Hawking die" argument. 

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 10:21:20 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I am willing to give Danny a pass on Jordan because he easily could have just been a clueless athlete who never got it together. Add in his reputed attitude or lackadaisical effort and it was a risky pick, though you could argue anybody with his athletic ability should be drafted based on potential at that point in the draft.

Looking at Pekovic and Asik, I guess Pekovic was not available because he made it clear he wasn't coming over for a late first-round salary which guaranteed he'd be taken first in the second round. So that leaves Asik who was another buyout guy, taking two years to join the league with the Bulls. I wish Danny had thought long-term instead of going for someone he thought could help now, even with the team in the midst of a title run.

I remember they needed a backup wing really bad that year and Ainge seemed to think Giddens could contribute immediately. However, drafting anybody and expecting them to contribute significantly that season is folly IMO, and all that "readiness" college seniors are purported to provide doesn't matter if they're a bust.

Anyway I'm not going to go crazy criticizing a late 1st round miss but I agree that it was a missed opportunity considering how deep the draft ended up being in the late first/early 2nd round.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 10:27:34 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Yeah, that's like the basketball equivalent of a "NHS would've let Stephen Hawking die" argument.

I'm not saying I don't agree with him not developing under Doc. I'm just saying its ironic that since he has blossomed, Doc is now his coach.

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

I'm not saying I don't agree with him not developing under Doc. I'm just saying its ironic that since he has blossomed, Doc is now his coach.

I think Doc being there is exactly why he had a career season last year.  Hard to say if it'd have worked the same earlier in his development though.

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Plus it was Doc giving him minutes and trust that allowed him to finally become a full time starter. Del Negro kept him on a such a tight leash...

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 10:30:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Doc being there is exactly why he had a career season last year.  Hard to say if it'd have worked the same earlier in his development though.
Doc knew the key to getting the Clippers to their potential was getting Jordan going, Blake/CP3 were already great and Blake was getting better on his own.

With the contending C's team I don't think he'd give him nearly the rope as he'd have just been another BBD/Powe type for the main core. I bet if Perkins was traded still he'd have force fed him minutes trying to get him ready to help KG out. Who knows how that'd have worked.

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 10:49:03 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I remember that draft very well. Danny drafted for need to try to find a wing player to replace Posey but I was screaming for Jordan,  Asik or Pekovic. I thought this team needed a backup for Perk more than it needed a Posey replacement, who I thought could have been found in free agency.

Giddens had some personal red flags on him and although he had an NBA body he was a four year college player and had little to no upside whatsoever, His BBIQ was also very very low. Never understood what Ainge saw in him. On talent and upside alone I thought at that time that Jordan, Chalmers, Pekovic, Asik, and Chris Douglas Roberts all had higher upside and more potential to succeed at the next level than did Giddens.

To this day, I think that Giddens pick is the worst draft pick of the Ainge era and felt so from the moment he made that pick. That was a fairly deep draft and there was talent still on that board that he bypassed for Giddens.

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wasn't there an agent promise or something with Giddens or am I thinking of someone else?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Wasn't there an agent promise or something with Giddens or am I thinking of someone else?

Supposedly, but that begs the question of why the heck Ainge would make that promise. 

Pekovic was I believe not going to come over if he was drafted in the 1st due to the restrictive rookie scale, but Jordan or Asik would've been tremendous here.  Even CDR would've been an upgrade on what Giddens brought, though not enough to help much.

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Plus it was Doc giving him minutes and trust that allowed him to finally become a full time starter. Del Negro kept him on a such a tight leash...

The Blank Piece of Paper Demands Exacting Obedience!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Doc knew the key to getting the Clippers to their potential was getting Jordan going, Blake/CP3 were already great and Blake was getting better on his own.

With the contending C's team I don't think he'd give him nearly the rope as he'd have just been another BBD/Powe type for the main core. I bet if Perkins was traded still he'd have force fed him minutes trying to get him ready to help KG out. Who knows how that'd have worked.

Yeah definitely agree with this. Remember the rumor going around that if KG was traded to LAC it would only happen if Jordan came back with him or something of the nature? Doc was looking to tap into Jordan's potential even before he became his coach.

Not sure if the same would have been said if he was a rookie under Doc however.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 11:14:35 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think an other factor is we had Perk at that time, so taking a on a big man project on a contending team wouldn't be the best thing. They tend to suck up a lot more time than wing players.

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I am willing to give Danny a pass on Jordan because he easily could have just been a clueless athlete who never got it together. Add in his reputed attitude or lackadaisical effort and it was a risky pick, though you could argue anybody with his athletic ability should be drafted based on potential at that point in the draft.

Looking at Pekovic and Asik, I guess Pekovic was not available because he made it clear he wasn't coming over for a late first-round salary which guaranteed he'd be taken first in the second round. So that leaves Asik who was another buyout guy, taking two years to join the league with the Bulls. I wish Danny had thought long-term instead of going for someone he thought could help now, even with the team in the midst of a title run.

I remember they needed a backup wing really bad that year and Ainge seemed to think Giddens could contribute immediately. However, drafting anybody and expecting them to contribute significantly that season is folly IMO, and all that "readiness" college seniors are purported to provide doesn't matter if they're a bust.

Anyway I'm not going to go crazy criticizing a late 1st round miss but I agree that it was a missed opportunity considering how deep the draft ended up being in the late first/early 2nd round.

Yeah, Danny would never take that kind of risk, right, Fab Melo?