Author Topic: Danny, Why Didn't You Draft DeAndre Jordan in 2008?  (Read 4651 times)

Danny, Why Didn't You Draft DeAndre Jordan in 2008?
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:55:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don't usually like to apply 20/20 hindsight to criticize GMs on draft picks, and generally think Danny does a good job in the draft. But I just could not understand then, and remain baffled, why Danny did not take a chance with DeAndre Jordan in the 2008 draft, taking JR Giddens instead.  Giddens was not only a stretch (most saw him as a middle 2nd round pick), but the team could definitely use a rim protector like Jordan. He has his flaws, but boy would he fit in perfectly with this team right now.  Top 4 team in the East in my view.

Does he become an UFA after this year?  Man, I'd love to get him.  Ballmers is going to be willing to write a lot of big checks, though.

Re: Danny, Why Didn't You Draft DeAndre Jordan in 2008?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:59:39 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
here's the list of FA next year:

Marc Gasol-UFA
Rudy Gay- UFA
Paul Milsap- UFA
Kemba Walker- RFA
Rajon Rondo- UFA
Jeff Green- ETO (Early Termination)
Al Jefferson- ETO
Carlos Boozer- UFA
Anderson Varejao- UFA
Tyson Chandler- UFA
Monta Ellis- ETO
Aaron Afflalo- ETO
Klay Thompson- RFA
Roy Hibbert- ETO
Deandre Jordan- UFA
Kevin Love- ETO
Ricky Rubio- RFA
Nic Vuceviv- RFA
Goran Dragic- ETO
Lemarcus Aldridge- UFA
Wes Matthews- UFA
Robin Lopez- UFA
Tony Parker- UFA

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:05:25 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I don't usually like to apply 20/20 hindsight to criticize GMs on draft picks, and generally think Danny does a good job in the draft. But I just could not understand then, and remain baffled, why Danny not a single nba GM used a first round pick and did not take a chance with DeAndre Jordan in the 2008 draft, taking JR Giddens instead.  Giddens was not only a stretch (most saw him as a middle 2nd round pick), but the team could definitely use a rim protector like Jordan. He has his flaws, but boy would he fit in perfectly with this team right now.  Top 4 team in the East in my view.

Does he become an UFA after this year?  Man, I'd love to get him.  Ballmers is going to be willing to write a lot of big checks, though.
Did some editing to provide a tad more perspective.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:08:31 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Last I recall Giddens had a draft promise from Ainge, and just the same Jordan was quite a project. He matured, others go bust. It happens. All other teams passed on him as well.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 12:16:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yes, but by the time we were drafting at the end of first round, the pickings were slim. He was still on the board.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:20:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Low iq. Not just danny but 20 plus other teams passed up on him also.

Dont think danny will try to sign him if is a FA. BS requires his front court players to be able to pass and shoot

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:29:36 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I don't usually like to apply 20/20 hindsight to criticize GMs on draft picks, and generally think Danny does a good job in the draft. But I just could not understand then, and remain baffled, why Danny did not take a chance with DeAndre Jordan in the 2008 draft, taking JR Giddens instead.  Giddens was not only a stretch (most saw him as a middle 2nd round pick), but the team could definitely use a rim protector like Jordan. He has his flaws, but boy would he fit in perfectly with this team right now.  Top 4 team in the East in my view.

Ditto.  Would JR Giddens have even been drafted if we hadn't taken him?  I sincerely doubt it.  Don't gms draft the majority of big guys based on potential, anyway?  Jordan was a clear upgrade to Perk THEN ;D.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:36:03 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I doubt Jordan would develop as the player he is now with Doc Rivers on board.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:48:22 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
People here would have been up in arms about the pick.  Jordan was absolutely horrible early in his career. 

It also took him 3 or 4 seasons (can't remember which) to score a basket outside of the paint.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 12:51:21 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Back then, we on the blog thought Deandre was too raw and a huge risk.

I remember hoping for us to draft Courtney Lee if he fell, Batum, George Hill, maybe Weaver, etc.

I was excited when we bought a pick for Bill Walker. And disappointed we passed on Douglas Roberts

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 01:42:33 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Danny blew it.
But he made up for it with the Pierce and Garnett trade.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 02:35:14 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Ditto.  Would JR Giddens have even been drafted if we hadn't taken him?  I sincerely doubt it.  Don't gms draft the majority of big guys based on potential, anyway?  Jordan was a clear upgrade to Perk THEN ;D.

Giddens dominated the Mtn West a la Danny Granger. He had the length & nba body right off the bat. He would've & should've been drafted had Ainge passed on him.

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 02:52:49 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

At the time, the stretch was Jordan, not Giddens. You only had one season to evaluate Jordan, & he only played 20 minutes per game. Lowest free throw percentage in college at 43 %. All of his other shots were dunks or two ft from the bucket.

It's easy to see how many GM's passed and why he fell to the 2nd round. It was a lucky guess. Crap shoot.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 09:32:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Plus Jordan was a known knucklehead when it came to work ethic and off the court issues. That's what really sunk his draft stock more than anything. I'm happy he's figured out how to translate his talent, though I doubt he develops as well here as he'd have rode the pine so much.

No place on a contending team for his awful defensive lapses and poor effort as a rookie/sophmore.

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
And I think it's worth pointing out that Jordan STILL remains a fairly limited player, even with his big uptick in rebounding last season.

Mike