Author Topic: Who else saw Lebron's debut?  (Read 8101 times)

Re: Who else saw Lebron's debut?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 11:22:11 AM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
Jesus, what is the pleasure in this?
Do people here even like basketball, or is it just some localized, mob mentality chest-puffing?
How, if you like the game of basketball, do you not like watching LeBron play? Dude had a bad game and it all of a sudden makes you feel like a million bucks. Guess what? I root for The Celtics. I also think watching LeBron play is amazingly fun. The petty hatred is sad and seems antithetical to why anyone would enjoy watching basketball.
Have fun gloating. What it is based in, I can't relate to. I fail to see how you get so much pleasure out of that.
To me, you like basketball or don't. The regional, taking all my self worth out of hating a guy who wears a different jersey stuff just seems like schoolyard b.s. I find it hard to fathom how someone who enjoys the game of basketball would hate LeBron James. Not surprised that it exists but glad it ain't my mindset.

Help me here but where does not liking a particular player equate to not liking the whole sport? Everyone has a right to root for, not like, despise...whatever, whomever they choose? If you root for Lebron to fail means you don't like or appreciate the entire sport of basketball? 

LMBO...Unbelievable the pair on some people.

I think what he meant is Lebron is the best basketball player alive.  How can you love the game of basketball and not appreciate a talent like that?

Because his game isn't a thing of beauty like the Magic's, the Jordan's, and the Bird's of the NBA, it is a thing of brute force and it isn't attractive to the basketball eye. Lebron just bullies his way to the basket and puffs his chest out like a weightlifter when he bowls over people. Obviously NBA players complain, and the aforementioned greats did too, but not like Lebron. Running after officials and whining and crying his way to calls is not a thing of basketball beauty. And the flops, don't get me started. The way he will stand outside the three point line, when he can clearly make a move to the basket or move the ball to an open teammates, and instead holds it for 7 seconds and jacks up a clanking three, that's not a thing of basketball beauty.

The only time I have ever enjoyed watching Lebron play is when he is losing in a severe fashion. Other than that, there is nothing about his game that is enjoyable to watch.

You hit the nail on the head as far as my opinion of him is concerned. My thoughts exactly! Great job. TP
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I haven't seen anyone else mention this, and I didn't hear it during the game since all the talk seem to be about him playing poorly because of the atmosphere, but maybe loosing all that weight and his diet has made him weaker and not as aggressive. 

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I haven't seen anyone else mention this, and I didn't hear it during the game since all the talk seem to be about him playing poorly because of the atmosphere, but maybe loosing all that weight and his diet has made him weaker and not as aggressive.

I think he was playing poorly because he didn't want to screw the game up, particularly by freezing his teammates out. It reminded me a lot of the first few months of the Heatles, actually.

That first quarter was all about James trying to create chemistry out of thin air and Carmelo forcing himself to move the ball. Was v. interesting to watch, actually.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Jesus, what is the pleasure in this?
Do people here even like basketball, or is it just some localized, mob mentality chest-puffing?
How, if you like the game of basketball, do you not like watching LeBron play? Dude had a bad game and it all of a sudden makes you feel like a million bucks. Guess what? I root for The Celtics. I also think watching LeBron play is amazingly fun. The petty hatred is sad and seems antithetical to why anyone would enjoy watching basketball.
Have fun gloating. What it is based in, I can't relate to. I fail to see how you get so much pleasure out of that.
To me, you like basketball or don't. The regional, taking all my self worth out of hating a guy who wears a different jersey stuff just seems like schoolyard b.s. I find it hard to fathom how someone who enjoys the game of basketball would hate LeBron James. Not surprised that it exists but glad it ain't my mindset.

Help me here but where does not liking a particular player equate to not liking the whole sport? Everyone has a right to root for, not like, despise...whatever, whomever they choose? If you root for Lebron to fail means you don't like or appreciate the entire sport of basketball? 

LMBO...Unbelievable the pair on some people.

I think what he meant is Lebron is the best basketball player alive.  How can you love the game of basketball and not appreciate a talent like that?

Because his game isn't a thing of beauty like the Magic's, the Jordan's, and the Bird's of the NBA, it is a thing of brute force and it isn't attractive to the basketball eye. Lebron just bullies his way to the basket and puffs his chest out like a weightlifter when he bowls over people. Obviously NBA players complain, and the aforementioned greats did too, but not like Lebron. Running after officials and whining and crying his way to calls is not a thing of basketball beauty. And the flops, don't get me started. The way he will stand outside the three point line, when he can clearly make a move to the basket or move the ball to an open teammates, and instead holds it for 7 seconds and jacks up a clanking three, that's not a thing of basketball beauty.

The only time I have ever enjoyed watching Lebron play is when he is losing in a severe fashion. Other than that, there is nothing about his game that is enjoyable to watch.

You hit the nail on the head as far as my opinion of him is concerned. My thoughts exactly! Great job. TP

Except for the part where he's the best passing forward since Magic, one of the most breathtaking athletes the league has ever seen, and now boasts a post game and an improved jump shot. LeBron tearing off ten straight points with a couple of assists sprinkled in is one of the funnest things to watch in basketball. You don't average 25+ for as long as he has just "[bullying]" your way to the basket.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Except for the part where he's the best passing forward since Magic, one of the most breathtaking athletes the league has ever seen, and now boasts a post game and an improved jump shot. LeBron tearing off ten straight points with a couple of assists sprinkled in is one of the funnest things to watch in basketball. You don't average 25+ for as long as he has just "[bullying]" your way to the basket.

You gotta read the whole post - he doesn't just knock people over, he also stands around doing nothing and then bricks a 3, plus complains to the refs.  He's a triple threat!  Other than that I think he just makes commercials.

Honestly LeBron annoyed me personally when he was in Cleveland and looks like he's on track to do it again the second time around.  And I don't enjoy his game as much as say, Durant or Chris Paul or even Carmelo when he's on.  But I can't disrespect how great of a player he is, and he seems to be a genuinely decent person off the court to boot, unlike, say, Jordan. 

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

You gotta read the whole post - he doesn't just knock people over, he also stands around doing nothing and then bricks a 3, plus complains to the refs.  He's a triple threat!  Other than that I think he just makes commercials.

Honestly LeBron annoyed me personally when he was in Cleveland and looks like he's on track to do it again the second time around.  And I don't enjoy his game as much as say, Durant or Chris Paul or even Carmelo when he's on.  But I can't disrespect how great of a player he is, and he seems to be a genuinely decent person off the court to boot, unlike, say, Jordan.

You certainly have the right to your own opinion but I've gotta respectfully disagree here. I was at game 6 of the ECF when he absolutely slaughtered our entire team and I was able to appreciate his performance despite the fact that it put our title hopes on life support. Top 5 players (or top ten, if you rank him lower) generally don't need to worry about how they go about their greatness on the court because the fact that they're so highly regarded means that there's something else to their game outside of driving to the hole and getting fouled. Also, I'm nitpicking, but the "brick" comments are getting old. His FG% is absurd for a player who touches the ball as much as he does and his efficiency from KG's sweet spot and an improved three-point jumper have a lot to do with that.

Speaking of (in)decency off the court, what about Bird? Probably the biggest jerk out of anybody in the all-time top ten.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Honestly, I dislike Lebron much less than I do other stars (Griffin, Paul, Howard, Wade).  He's obviously the best player in the world right now, and most of his hate comes from the enormous public attention on him all of the time. Hell, I might even like him if he wasn't a Celtics rival for so long.  However, all of the PR and media stuff basically making him a god and putting him on a pedestal makes it easy to dislike him. Though basketball is the third most popular sport in America, Lebron is by far the most popular and glorified throughout American sports, imo.  Just the glorification makes it easy to root against him in my mind.

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
LeBron is one of the most unselfish superstars on the court that ever played the game.  Like Magic and Larry.  I never understood all the hate directed his way.

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 09:31:44 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think the biggest issue is that we are all forced to "witness" this outrageous circus that follows Lebron. It's not just the media.. I mean, his PR team creates this absurd image for him, and then the hype outweighs his talent/career (which is a shame because he definitely is GREAT, but they don't want you to have to find out for yourself).

I don't know if you saw the game, but the commercials were ridiculous. That gym workout "adult film looking thing" was awkward as heck. So self indulgent.

He was called "king" for about 8 or 9 years before he won anything. I think a lot of people are just sick of the hype

Edit: whoops, didn't know that word isn't allowed. Sorry about that.

Yeah, thankfully I missed most of that, but what I did see was so typically narcissistic of him.    The ad I kept getting was the one where he drops off his KIA to the valet, but the point still stands.  It's ridiculous, and you could probably make the argument that he is more ruthless in business than he is on the court. To me, the guy is the biggest fraud in NBA history.  Do you realize that if Pop had kept Duncan on the floor in the final moments of game 6 in 2013, not only would Lebron be 1 and 3 in the Finals, but that he would have also lost the title on his home court 3 times? :o

The one moment where I thought, "woah," was after game 5 against the Pistons in 2007, which Detroit might have won if McDyess wasn't thrown out on a terrible call, but whatever.  He looked like the second coming of Jordan in that contest, (scoring their last, what, 25 points?) but then after that, it's like he fizzled out.  I don't know if he underestimated his opponents, but he always enjoyed punking guys by dunking in their face and posterizing them, and then staring them down like he was the big man after the play.  That's the attitude that I can't stand, and I thoroughly enjoy watching him lose lol.

Of course, I also enjoy seeing him complain to the officials, because Lebron James doesn't foul out ::).  The guy is one of the top 3 protected players of all time with Jordan and Kareem, and yet he has the audacity to complain whenever he's cited for the most blatant of fouls.  In 2009, he played 5 consecutive games without committing a single foul, and in 2012, went six games without being called for one.  That's ridiculous, I'm sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKzCokT6Q24

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Paul-Pierce-says-he-s-the-best-player-in-the-wor?urn=nba,96670

And lastly, I'd say it's consensus that Pop's failure to substitute Timmy back into game 6 is pretty much his only blatant coaching error of the entire 2013 Finals. He is clearly a better coach than Spoelstra, no matter how highly one can rationally think of Spoelstra. So while it's easy to point out one instance of LeBron getting bailed out by an opposing coach's mistake, it's ignorant not to recognize the disadvantage he was at coaching-wise on almost every other possession of that Finals series.

I know, I know. You said to let you have this one.

Having never seen that Gatorade ad before, I honestly found it to be pretty amusing, lol, especially because KG's head always looked like the one from Alien ;D, but the commercial is still nothing compared to Lebron's ads.  Pierce saying that he was the best player in the world was dumb, and I didn't like it, but you know what, after waiting a decade just to make the finals, and then beating Lebron, the Pistons, and Kobe, I think I'll let Paul get away with that one.  Winning the MVP of the Finals has to count for something, but it's also important to point out that Pierce never said anything like that ever again, so it was an isolated incident, whereas with Lebron it's been virtually non-stop since he entered the league.

As for the coaching, yeah, I know that Pop is a great coach, but I don't think that Spoelstra is a terrible one.  He's not great, but he's not the worst, imo.

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 09:40:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

You certainly have the right to your own opinion but I've gotta respectfully disagree here. I was at game 6 of the ECF when he absolutely slaughtered our entire team and I was able to appreciate his performance despite the fact that it put our title hopes on life support. Top 5 players (or top ten, if you rank him lower) generally don't need to worry about how they go about their greatness on the court because the fact that they're so highly regarded means that there's something else to their game outside of driving to the hole and getting fouled. Also, I'm nitpicking, but the "brick" comments are getting old. His FG% is absurd for a player who touches the ball as much as he does and his efficiency from KG's sweet spot and an improved three-point jumper have a lot to do with that.

Speaking of (in)decency off the court, what about Bird? Probably the biggest jerk out of anybody in the all-time top ten.

Are you talking about the bar fight and the situation with his first wife and daughter, or something else?  Bird is a great guy, it's just that he never socialized like Magic, Isiah, or Jordan.  Speaking of Magic, I'd say that he's easily one of the biggest jerks in NBA history with the way he routinely used and degraded women.  He even had a special room for his debauchery that had previously belonged to Jamaal Wilkes.  The guy was a pig, and I lost a lot of respect for him after watching his sportscentury episode.

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Tristan Thompson is easily the best player on the Cavs.

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I was not happy to see the Bricks won in Cleveland. I got no problem with Lebron now. The Cavs team will be very good. The first two weeks of the NBA season is not always a good indicator of how the season will turn out.

I can't stand sharing 1st place with the Bricks in the Atlantic.  ;D
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Tristan Thompson is easily the best player on the Cavs.

Haha, good one

He is playing exceptionally well tonight though
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2014, 11:02:53 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
That Nike commercial where Lebron is rallying people in the streets of Cleveland is just nauseating.

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 11:09:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
LeBron...is one of the most durable players .ever........to play the amount of minutes he does and remain injury free....

Just amazing.