Author Topic: Who else saw Lebron's debut?  (Read 8121 times)

Re: Who else saw Lebron's debut?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 01:47:01 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think the biggest issue is that we are all forced to "witness" this outrageous circus that follows Lebron. It's not just the media.. I mean, his PR team creates this absurd image for him, and then the hype outweighs his talent/career (which is a shame because he definitely is GREAT, but they don't want you to have to find out for yourself).

I don't know if you saw the game, but the commercials were ridiculous. That gym workout "adult film looking thing" was awkward as heck. So self indulgent.

He was called "king" for about 8 or 9 years before he won anything. I think a lot of people are just sick of the hype

Edit: whoops, didn't know that word isn't allowed. Sorry about that.

Yeah, thankfully I missed most of that, but what I did see was so typically narcissistic of him.    The ad I kept getting was the one where he drops off his KIA to the valet, but the point still stands.  It's ridiculous, and you could probably make the argument that he is more ruthless in business than he is on the court.  To me, the guy is the biggest fraud in NBA history.  Do you realize that if Pop had kept Duncan on the floor in the final moments of game 6 in 2013, not only would Lebron be 1 and 3 in the Finals, but that he would have also lost the title on his home court 3 times? :o

The one moment where I thought, "woah," was after game 5 against the Pistons in 2007, which Detroit might have won if McDyess wasn't thrown out on a terrible call, but whatever.  He looked like the second coming of Jordan in that contest, (scoring their last, what, 25 points?) but then after that, it's like he fizzled out.  I don't know if he underestimated his opponents, but he always enjoyed punking guys by dunking in their face and posterizing them, and then staring them down like he was the big man after the play.  That's the attitude that I can't stand, and I thoroughly enjoy watching him lose lol.

Of course, I also enjoy seeing him complain to the officials, because Lebron James doesn't foul out ::).  The guy is one of the top 3 protected players of all time with Jordan and Kareem, and yet he has the audacity to complain whenever he's cited for the most blatant of fouls.  In 2009, he played 5 consecutive games without committing a single foul, and in 2012, went six games without being called for one.  That's ridiculous, I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:58:11 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 03:38:41 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I think the biggest issue is that we are all forced to "witness" this outrageous circus that follows Lebron. It's not just the media.. I mean, his PR team creates this absurd image for him, and then the hype outweighs his talent/career (which is a shame because he definitely is GREAT, but they don't want you to have to find out for yourself).

I don't know if you saw the game, but the commercials were ridiculous. That gym workout "adult film looking thing" was awkward as heck. So self indulgent.

He was called "king" for about 8 or 9 years before he won anything. I think a lot of people are just sick of the hype

Edit: whoops, didn't know that word isn't allowed. Sorry about that.

Yeah, thankfully I missed most of that, but what I did see was so typically narcissistic of him.    The ad I kept getting was the one where he drops off his KIA to the valet, but the point still stands.  It's ridiculous, and you could probably make the argument that he is more ruthless in business than he is on the court. To me, the guy is the biggest fraud in NBA history.  Do you realize that if Pop had kept Duncan on the floor in the final moments of game 6 in 2013, not only would Lebron be 1 and 3 in the Finals, but that he would have also lost the title on his home court 3 times? :o

The one moment where I thought, "woah," was after game 5 against the Pistons in 2007, which Detroit might have won if McDyess wasn't thrown out on a terrible call, but whatever.  He looked like the second coming of Jordan in that contest, (scoring their last, what, 25 points?) but then after that, it's like he fizzled out.  I don't know if he underestimated his opponents, but he always enjoyed punking guys by dunking in their face and posterizing them, and then staring them down like he was the big man after the play.  That's the attitude that I can't stand, and I thoroughly enjoy watching him lose lol.

Of course, I also enjoy seeing him complain to the officials, because Lebron James doesn't foul out ::).  The guy is one of the top 3 protected players of all time with Jordan and Kareem, and yet he has the audacity to complain whenever he's cited for the most blatant of fouls.  In 2009, he played 5 consecutive games without committing a single foul, and in 2012, went six games without being called for one.  That's ridiculous, I'm sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKzCokT6Q24

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Paul-Pierce-says-he-s-the-best-player-in-the-wor?urn=nba,96670

And lastly, I'd say it's consensus that Pop's failure to substitute Timmy back into game 6 is pretty much his only blatant coaching error of the entire 2013 Finals. He is clearly a better coach than Spoelstra, no matter how highly one can rationally think of Spoelstra. So while it's easy to point out one instance of LeBron getting bailed out by an opposing coach's mistake, it's ignorant not to recognize the disadvantage he was at coaching-wise on almost every other possession of that Finals series.

I know, I know. You said to let you have this one.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:43:44 AM by TheFlex »

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 08:06:35 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

I find it hard to fathom how someone who enjoys the game of basketball would hate LeBron James. Not surprised that it exists but glad it ain't my mindset.
I "sports hate"  LeBron James. I also couldn't stand Isiah Thomas, Allen Iverson, Dominique Wilkins, Shaquille O'neal, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade  and to a lesser degree Patrick Ewing and Kevin Garnett . I honestly didn't like Michael Jordan all that much either. But I love me some basketball anyway.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Did the Cavs lose?

Lol, good.

Regardless, it's just the first game.

I have no doubt the Cavs will be in the ECF. Question is how much further they advance after that.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Jesus, what is the pleasure in this?
Do people here even like basketball, or is it just some localized, mob mentality chest-puffing?
How, if you like the game of basketball, do you not like watching LeBron play? Dude had a bad game and it all of a sudden makes you feel like a million bucks. Guess what? I root for The Celtics. I also think watching LeBron play is amazingly fun. The petty hatred is sad and seems antithetical to why anyone would enjoy watching basketball.
Have fun gloating. What it is based in, I can't relate to. I fail to see how you get so much pleasure out of that.
To me, you like basketball or don't. The regional, taking all my self worth out of hating a guy who wears a different jersey stuff just seems like schoolyard b.s. I find it hard to fathom how someone who enjoys the game of basketball would hate LeBron James. Not surprised that it exists but glad it ain't my mindset.

Help me here but where does not liking a particular player equate to not liking the whole sport? Everyone has a right to root for, not like, despise...whatever, whomever they choose? If you root for Lebron to fail means you don't like or appreciate the entire sport of basketball? 

LMBO...Unbelievable the pair on some people.

I think what he meant is Lebron is the best basketball player alive.  How can you love the game of basketball and not appreciate a talent like that?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 09:02:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Do people here even like basketball, or is it just some localized, mob mentality chest-puffing?
How, if you like the game of basketball, do you not like watching LeBron play? Dude had a bad game and it all of a sudden makes you feel like a million bucks. Guess what? I root for The Celtics. I also think watching LeBron play is amazingly fun. The petty hatred is sad and seems antithetical to why anyone would enjoy watching basketball.
Have fun gloating. What it is based in, I can't relate to. I fail to see how you get so much pleasure out of that.
To me, you like basketball or don't. The regional, taking all my self worth out of hating a guy who wears a different jersey stuff just seems like schoolyard b.s. I find it hard to fathom how someone who enjoys the game of basketball would hate LeBron James. Not surprised that it exists but glad it ain't my mindset.

Help me here but where does not liking a particular player equate to not liking the whole sport? Everyone has a right to root for, not like, despise...whatever, whomever they choose? If you root for Lebron to fail means you don't like or appreciate the entire sport of basketball? 

I think what he meant is Lebron is the best basketball player alive.  How can you love the game of basketball and not appreciate a talent like that?

Because his game isn't a thing of beauty like the Magic's, the Jordan's, and the Bird's of the NBA, it is a thing of brute force and it isn't attractive to the basketball eye. Lebron just bullies his way to the basket and puffs his chest out like a weightlifter when he bowls over people. Obviously NBA players complain, and the aforementioned greats did too, but not like Lebron. Running after officials and whining and crying his way to calls is not a thing of basketball beauty. And the flops, don't get me started. The way he will stand outside the three point line, when he can clearly make a move to the basket or move the ball to an open teammates, and instead holds it for 7 seconds and jacks up a clanking three, that's not a thing of basketball beauty.

The only time I have ever enjoyed watching Lebron play is when he is losing in a severe fashion. Other than that, there is nothing about his game that is enjoyable to watch.

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 09:09:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Was very glad the Knicks won.

Celtics shoot 55% in a route... LeBron looks mortal.  Welcome to the first week of the NBA season... bizarro-land.  Blink and the Cavs will be dominating the NBA while the Celtics toil away at the bottom of the standings.

All I can think of is last year when the Sixers "Totally Weren't Tanking!"

Except, you know, they were.

Because his game isn't a thing of beauty like the Magic's, the Jordan's, and the Bird's of the NBA, it is a thing of brute force and it isn't attractive to the basketball eye. Lebron just bullies his way to the basket and puffs his chest out like a weightlifter when he bowls over people. Obviously NBA players complain, and the aforementioned greats did too, but not like Lebron. Running after officials and whining and crying his way to calls is not a thing of basketball beauty. And the flops, don't get me started. The way he will stand outside the three point line, when he can clearly make a move to the basket or move the ball to an open teammates, and instead holds it for 7 seconds and jacks up a clanking three, that's not a thing of basketball beauty.

The only time I have ever enjoyed watching Lebron play is when he is losing in a severe fashion. Other than that, there is nothing about his game that is enjoyable to watch.

I don't know, his passing is pretty good for a big dude.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It'll take CLE a stretch (could be 10, could be 20 games) to figure it out and start to gel.  Putting all those new parts together takes time (except if you're the '07-08 Celtics).  That being said, it was a bit satisfying to see karma take Lebron down a notch last night after all the "coming home" commercials and his nonsense about his return to CLE being one of the biggest sports "spectacles".

They'll get it together.  Still don't think they're winning the East this season, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 10:21:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I also think they would've been blown out had they been forced to play a team that actually plays defense.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It'll take CLE a stretch (could be 10, could be 20 games) to figure it out and start to gel.  Putting all those new parts together takes time (except if you're the '07-08 Celtics).  That being said, it was a bit satisfying to see karma take Lebron down a notch last night after all the "coming home" commercials and his nonsense about his return to CLE being one of the biggest sports "spectacles".

They'll get it together.  Still don't think they're winning the East this season, though.

When LeBron started flexing and posing after he made that And-1 early, I made up my mind about whether I'm wishing Cleveland well.  I think maybe him laying off that crap in Miami was less about maturing and more about not being near his hometown.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He was too amped up and it messed with his game. Cavs should have been able to defend the Knicks a lot better than they did.

It was weird to watch NYs overall limited individual defenders do such a good job against Irving/LeBron.

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

To each their own I guess.
Have fun guys.

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

lol

"not one, not two, not three..."

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

They were disgusting.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 11:15:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
The thing is that I've really been digging that Hozier song since the summer. Now I wouldn't be able to listen to it the same way ever again.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team