Author Topic: Celtics (1-0) at Rockets (2-0) Game #2 11/1/14  (Read 87018 times)

Re: Celtics (1-0) at Rockets (2-0) Game #2 10/31/14
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2014, 04:20:12 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Let's just hope Rondo start to buy into the system and stop walking up the court and pounding the ball

So what you're telling us is that Rondo's showing on Wednesday has been wiped from your brain completely.

Rondo did pound the ball some on Wednesday. Not very bad but he did a few times. Thing is it can cause players to stop moving and force them wait for Rondo and react to him. He then has to create instead of just moving the ball till space is created.
Thing is, it's not only Rondo's fault if he appears to be pounding the ball (which I frankly didn't see much of).  He also has lesser talent teammates now compared to a few years ago. I do not expect him to take a risk on dumping it in to these guys if he doesn't have confidence they can do something with it.  Any shot-creators like Paul Pierce around? No. Any brilliant high percentages shooters like Ray Allen coming off screens? No. Any big targets who can catch it in the high post and bury an 18-footer like KG?  No.
So you have to be a hall a famer to get the ball quickly? Again most of those excuses only happen because Rondo is dominating the ball. Most of preseason this team kept moving and passing. Rondo is here and it can become, "I'll pass when I feel you are open so keep running around in circles". Rondo needs to be quicker in getting guys involved don't wait. Even when in a half court set move quickly as if it was still a fast break. Pace, passing, space and motion are key for this team. Not one guy trying to control everything.
What about the other 4 guys being quicker getting a set started? Guys getting to the right spots or getting open? Rondo getting a good screen earlier?
You make it sound as if Rondo controls the entire team on offense.
Again they did fine moving the ball in preseason. Rondo isn't a bad player. He just needs to let go of the old style of play.
well said, you can't just hold the ball and stand on top of the key and yelling other people to run

You do understand some plays start with the PG initiating the play at the top of the key?

Absolutely but it shouldn't require a PG dribbling 7-10sec off the clock at the top of the key (unless C's are clock killing with a big lead). This is suppose to be a fast pace ball movement team.

I honestly can't believe you folks are complaining about Rondo and the offense after the performance they had against the Nets. Some people are never satisfied with anything.  >:(

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Let's just hope Rondo start to buy into the system and stop walking up the court and pounding the ball

So what you're telling us is that Rondo's showing on Wednesday has been wiped from your brain completely.

Rondo did pound the ball some on Wednesday. Not very bad but he did a few times. Thing is it can cause players to stop moving and force them wait for Rondo and react to him. He then has to create instead of just moving the ball till space is created.
Thing is, it's not only Rondo's fault if he appears to be pounding the ball (which I frankly didn't see much of).  He also has lesser talent teammates now compared to a few years ago. I do not expect him to take a risk on dumping it in to these guys if he doesn't have confidence they can do something with it.  Any shot-creators like Paul Pierce around? No. Any brilliant high percentages shooters like Ray Allen coming off screens? No. Any big targets who can catch it in the high post and bury an 18-footer like KG?  No.
So you have to be a hall a famer to get the ball quickly? Again most of those excuses only happen because Rondo is dominating the ball. Most of preseason this team kept moving and passing. Rondo is here and it can become, "I'll pass when I feel you are open so keep running around in circles". Rondo needs to be quicker in getting guys involved don't wait. Even when in a half court set move quickly as if it was still a fast break. Pace, passing, space and motion are key for this team. Not one guy trying to control everything.
What about the other 4 guys being quicker getting a set started? Guys getting to the right spots or getting open? Rondo getting a good screen earlier?
You make it sound as if Rondo controls the entire team on offense.
Again they did fine moving the ball in preseason. Rondo isn't a bad player. He just needs to let go of the old style of play.
well said, you can't just hold the ball and stand on top of the key and yelling other people to run

You do understand some plays start with the PG initiating the play at the top of the key?

Absolutely but it shouldn't require a PG dribbling 7-10sec off the clock at the top of the key (unless C's are clock killing with a big lead). This is suppose to be a fast pace ball movement team.

I honestly can't believe you folks are complaining about Rondo and the offense after the performance they had against the Nets. Some people are never satisfied with anything.  >:(
Not complaining saying Rondo and Company can be better. The goal is to keep getting better.

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

So, in that game Rondo had a 103 Pace rating, 48% Ast, 46.6 Ast Ratio, NetRtg of 20.4 and en eFG% of 72.2. 82 touches and 65 passes. Hell, he ran 2.01 miles at 4.11 mph. These are all easily looked up stats and they almost all go against your critiques and what you believe you saw.

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

So, in that game Rondo had a 103 Pace rating, 48% Ast, 46.6 Ast Ratio, NetRtg of 20.4 and en eFG% of 72.2. 82 touches and 65 passes. Hell, he ran 2.01 miles at 4.11 mph. These are all easily looked up stats and they almost all go against your critiques and what you believe you saw.

lol all of those stats are meaningless to my critique. And all I said was he did pound the ball some which a few other posters agree they saw. The other stuff is the big knock on Rondo in recent years and complaint on if he fits this offense. I think he can fit as he didn't do it all game.

Re: Celtics (1-0) at Rockets (2-0) Game #2 11/1/14
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2014, 05:08:28 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Steve Bulpett ?@SteveBHoop  19m19 minutes ago
The Rocket lineup Rondo talked about will be altered. Expecting Isaiah Canaan to open in place of injured Patrick Beverley at point.

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

lol all of those stats are meaningless to my critique. And all I said was he did pound the ball some which a few other posters agree they saw. The other stuff is the big knock on Rondo in recent years and complaint on if he fits this offense. I think he can fit as he didn't do it all game.

And I think you see what you want to see. Based on one game The Celtics have the second highest pace of any team in the NBA. Rondo's pace rating was 2 higher than Marcus Smart's.
I just think you are seeing things that weren't really there because they fit some idea you have. If you want to throw out the quantifiable, that which doesn't back up what you think, knock yourself out. Every play is not a platonic ideal of offense.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:21:57 PM by ChainSmokingLikeDino »

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Steve Bulpett ?@SteveBHoop  19m19 minutes ago
The Rocket lineup Rondo talked about will be altered. Expecting Isaiah Canaan to open in place of injured Patrick Beverley at point.

That could be big for our guards. Beverley is a much better defender than Canaan.

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2014, 06:10:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Houston Rockets @HoustonRockets
.@patbev21 (hamstring) will not play tonight against Boston.

Now they have an excuse...

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Off topic but looking at how the Lakers play, I think the Celtics might have a chance in beating them come the December 5th game.

But anything can happen between now and in one month lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Off topic but looking at how the Lakers play, I think the Celtics might have a chance in beating them come the December 5th game.

Yes this Celtics team has a chance to beat a Lakers team that is worse than they are.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Yes this Celtics team has a chance to beat a Lakers team that is worse than they are.

Celtics are the best team in the East. Miami is #2 seed dayum.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2014, 07:47:20 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I am going to turn on the game in about 20 minutes to see my 1st live game on the computer in 20 minutes. There is a lot going on and I am interested in seeing how the Celtics handle their first road test of the year. It is a very big test being in Houston. I think it will be more competitive than last year in Houston. That is not saying much as it was a 40 point rout. Hope to catch up in the chat room.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2014, 07:48:24 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
We will need ZELLER to cover howard some.....and smart on harden.....besides, it will give both more of the experience we need them to have.....this is the time of year to be training the new guys...and this will be a good chance for it.....KO will have a hard time covering howard.....but he too will learn a lot.....if KO can move , hit his outside shot....and then score inside too....he can wear howard out.....howard is an ego driven lazy player.....

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
another idea..KO AND ZELLER..the inside outside big man run...what would howard do.....he would stay inside only.....then rotate green and sully in.....

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We will need ZELLER to cover howard some.....and smart on harden.....besides, it will give both more of the experience we need them to have.....this is the time of year to be training the new guys...and this will be a good chance for it.....KO will have a hard time covering howard.....but he too will learn a lot.....if KO can move , hit his outside shot....and then score inside too....he can wear howard out.....howard is an ego driven lazy player.....

Yup ...it's time for Zeller to grow a set ,  and mix it up with Howard .   Just do what he can give us something