Author Topic: KG is impressed...  (Read 5995 times)

Re: KG is impressed...
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 01:45:47 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
guess we can forget the marcus smart-marcus banks comparison now.lol

LOL

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 02:31:39 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Nothing about KO?
Its too bad kg didnt stay another season. Would of helped KO fastrack

Forget KO - what about his and Pierce's potential impact on someone like the Greek Freak?  Ugh.

Forget KO ? Pretty tough to do so since he's outplayed the Greek Freak since both entered the league.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 05:31:23 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
I love KG but there is no fit on this team for him anymore.  you can be as sentimental as you want to be but the truth is.....his style of game would not mesh with what Brad Stevens is trying to instill in the new Celtics.

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 05:43:43 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I love KG but there is no fit on this team for him anymore.  you can be as sentimental as you want to be but the truth is.....his style of game would not mesh with what Brad Stevens is trying to instill in the new Celtics.

Really? You don't think he could be a veteran off the bench? I think he'd be willing to come back for a reasonable price and a reduced role. I find it hard to believe he couldn't fit in somehow due to his locker room presence and mentorship. What specifically about his game would not fit in with Stevens' system? He can't shoot 3s?

If he still wants to be a starter (or play for a team with a realistic title shot) then yeah, it's probably not going to happen.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 06:41:34 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Intense defense? Hustle?
Or finding the open man?  KG fits on any team, on any court in any area.

Its too bad he is in New Jersey, er Brooklyn.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 08:15:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
That was nice of him.

Miss you big man!

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 08:20:57 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I still wish KO had knocked him out.

::)

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 09:16:53 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
IMO - Sully needed at least one more year of KG to teach him how to be a professional....Mostly in terms of work habits, getting in shape etc....

No doubt in my mind if KG was here the last two years Sully would be in tip top shape....

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 09:32:29 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
IMO - Sully needed at least one more year of KG to teach him how to be a professional....Mostly in terms of work habits, getting in shape etc....

No doubt in my mind if KG was here the last two years Sully would be in tip top shape....

Yup. I mean I think KG helped Perk become a much better player after he was traded here from Minny. Pre-KG, Perk was kind of a stiff.

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:11 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203

Intense defense? Hustle?
Or finding the open man?  KG fits on any team, on any court in any area.

Its too bad he is in New Jersey, er Brooklyn.

Agreed totally. His work ethic alone is worth having around. Plus he can begin to pass along the Jedi mind tricks he plays with opponents. He's an enforcer and we need an enforcer in the paint but unfortunately someone has to be born with that trait. Perk is extremely limited offensively but he plays the role of an enforcer quite well. KG just brought it out of him.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I still wish KO had knocked him out.

Kelly is pretty soft at times and KO is a instigator and run, I do not think either is a fighter.

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 11:49:38 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I love KG. He's my all-time favorite NBA player.

I started with that because I want to say some unpopular things. He won a championship here but I'm not sure he's an all-time Celtic. He spent most of his career and basically all of his prime in Minnesota. He also isn't expected to finish his career in green. He didn't really take a discount to play here. He didn't endure losing seasons.

His situation here isn't that different to Shaq's in Miami except KG was here 3 years longer (6 years vs 3 years).

Pierce is the guy I can see in the Celtics organization going forward. He's owed that if he wants it. If Rondo signs on to finish his prime in green maybe he gets that treatment too.

I'd love to see KG as an organizational figure but I don't think he's owed that in the same way Pierce might be. Honestly I'm not sure KG has the kind of personality that would make a good coach. Not all coaches have the same personality but I'd argue that virtually all good coaches have a high level of patience. From my recollection that isn't KG's strength.

So that is my take. I'd love to see KG here, as a backup center or as a coach. I'm just not sure it's in the cards.

c's clear enough cap space to sign rondo and Marc Gasol next year. We become contenders , and KG sign a 1 yr vet min deal

I really can't see KG taking the minimum. In the case where he did we'd have to:

Decline options on: Fav/Powell/Pressey/Zeller
Find a way to trade Wallace before this season ends

Rondo's $12.9M cap hold leaves our cap space at around $6M. If waive the rights to all of our expirings and decline Pressey, Powell, Faverani and Zeller we get to $13.4M in space. Trading Wallace opens that number up to $23.5 which is just over a max deal. We'd sign Gasol with that space, use Rondo's bird rights to resign him to the max and that would put us 3.1M in the tax which gives us the mini-MLE to use. KG might take the mini-MLE but I'm not sure a lineup of Rondo/AB/Green/Sully/Gasol with Turner/KG/KO/Smart/Young off the bench is a contender. We're probably still one (scoring) star shy of contention. Unless Jeff Green becomes a go-to scorer this season (unlikely) that team probably wouldn't get out of the East.

This plan also has the added benefit of killing our financial flexibility for 3-4 years.

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 07:12:55 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Why?  He'd actually be a fantastic fit.

1) Excellent defensive player
2) Incredible work ethic
3) Team-first attitude
4) Elite passer in the front-court
5) Excellent mid range jumpshot
6) Potential three point range (if Bass can hit a three, then KG certainly can)

If you ignore his age, his style of play is actually just about perfect for Brad's system. 

Plus regardless of his age he's quicker, faster and more mobile than a lot of centers out there...and he isn't afraid to run the floor.   

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
c's clear enough cap space to sign rondo and Marc Gasol next year. We become contenders , and KG sign a 1 yr vet min deal

I really can't see KG taking the minimum. In the case where he did we'd have to:

Decline options on: Fav/Powell/Pressey/Zeller
Find a way to trade Wallace before this season ends

Rondo's $12.9M cap hold leaves our cap space at around $6M. If waive the rights to all of our expirings and decline Pressey, Powell, Faverani and Zeller we get to $13.4M in space. Trading Wallace opens that number up to $23.5 which is just over a max deal. We'd sign Gasol with that space, use Rondo's bird rights to resign him to the max and that would put us 3.1M in the tax which gives us the mini-MLE to use. KG might take the mini-MLE but I'm not sure a lineup of Rondo/AB/Green/Sully/Gasol with Turner/KG/KO/Smart/Young off the bench is a contender. We're probably still one (scoring) star shy of contention. Unless Jeff Green becomes a go-to scorer this season (unlikely) that team probably wouldn't get out of the East.

This plan also has the added benefit of killing our financial flexibility for 3-4 years.

Rondo is a smart man. If he wants to stay, he'll tell Danny to renounce his rights, sign a max player, and then resign Rondo with Bird Rights.

I think this team would be a contender for sure. Everyone keeps saying we're a center away, and Gasol is a stud defensive center who can score; he's also an athleticism-independent player that is still relatively young (29). Gasol also fits the "Stevens Model" in that he can pass and defend. He is very comfortable operating in that "KG" midrange area.

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/assets/3920397/Gasol_2012-2013_Shot_Chart.jpeg

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4439041/Gasol_2013-2014_Shot_Chart.jpeg

Look at his shot charts the past 2 years. He shot from all around (changed sweet spots with the new coach), and did relatively well in the midrange (the one with more greens was two seasons ago- last year he missed some time with an injury.)

Also keep in mind that the Grizzlies were out of the playoffs, but then Gasol came back and they were 50-32 to end the year. All of the people that use the "Rondo stinks because we do better without him" numbers should love Gasol.

Now, I don't have any super-advanced stats to back me up, but I actually think Gasol is like Rondo: he is a difference maker, just in less-conventional "non-superstar" ways.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:35:56 PM by GetLucky »