Author Topic: What starting position do you most want to upgrade? At what sacrifice?  (Read 7350 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I like everyone in our starting lineup right now...

PG - Rondo
SG - Bradley
SF - Green
PF - Sully
PF - Oly

I'm also fond of Smart and Turner... and to a lesser extent Thornton and Bass.

I like them all... I still don't think it's a particularly good team, though.  I just don't think they have the talent or long-term potential to contend as-is.  Heading forward, what position do you want us to upgrade the most?  I guess the obvious answer would be center.  Do you think Sully/Oly can play together long-term?  I keep rooting for both of them, but I can't really see Oly as a long-term solution at that position.  Seems like he's a PF.  That doesn't necessarily mean I'd want to trade Oly, though.  Every time he puts up a game like last night (where he drops 19 points on efficient shooting), you can't help but get excited by his potential.   Would you combine a combo of Oly + additional assets for a legitimate center... or would you rather trade a combo of Sully + additional assets for a legit center?  Or you think you can win a championship some day with those two as your bigs?  You don't necessarily need to trade one of them to upgrade the center position, either... you could just combine some other assets and end up sticking one of those guys on the bench indefinitely.

Also, are you comfortable with Bradley as our long-term starting SG and keeping Smart off the bench indefinitely?  Does that really make sense for the next 5-8 years (presuming we keep Rondo)?... or would you want to use one of those guys in an effort to upgrade a more necessary position.     

Just curious what people are thinking.  What position do you most want to upgrade. Who are you willing to sacrifice in order to do it?

Re: What starting position do you most want to upgrade? At what sacrifice?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'd upgrade any starting lineup position if it means we'd get a true franchise player at it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I want to see us get a center in next year's draft by winning the lottery with a late lottery pick.  Unrealistic I know. 
I love Olynyk's potential as an offensive minded big off the bench.  You can manage his defensive shortcomings that way by managing the matchups.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I'd upgrade any starting lineup position if it means we'd get a true franchise player at it.

same way I feel. if I had to choose specifically? i'd say SG and SF. I just see mediocrity when I see Bradley and Green.

Bradley imo is fool's gold. At first, that contract he signed I was outraged. then over the summer I didn't mind it that much, then after last night? the turnover on a 2 on 1...I saw it coming, his D is no where what it was a few yrs. ago(AB would not have looked that bad defending Williams 4yrs. ago), his "improved jumpshot" is frustrating - if he's hitting it's great, when he's not? score a 2 for the other team. because he takes that pull up early in the shot-clock for no reason. so now i'm back to thinking he's way overpaid.

Jeff Green is Jeff Green. sometimes I think he sleep walks.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Anthony Davis

;D

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Well, the obvious answer is a good center of course.

Point guard is a lock, there's no need to change anything there.

I am also content with our general rotation at the 2, but if I could choose one guy in the league currently, I'd go for Bradley Beal.

At the SF position, you could argue it would be pretty hard to upgrade. I think that Green, with all his flaws with inconsistency, is a top 7 at his position. But if I could choose one guy outside of KD and Lebron, it would be George.

At the PF/C position, there are 4 guys I would get without a blink of an eye. Gasol, Boogie, Davis and a healthy Horford.

At what expense? Anyone but Rondo, Sully and Smart. Although I could learn to live without the latter two for an Anthony Davis or Boogie Cousins.

So, after all this, my dream lineup for contention would be Rondo, Beal, George, Sully, Gasol. But I would be pretty content with Gay at the 3, or Green, if he somehow decides to become consistent and aggressive every night.
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'd sacrifice two good players for a better center.
a power forward not named sully and a sg for marc gasol

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:22:03 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

same way I feel. if I had to choose specifically? i'd say SG and SF. I just see mediocrity when I see Bradley and Green.

Bradley imo is fool's gold. At first, that contract he signed I was outraged. then over the summer I didn't mind it that much, then after last night? the turnover on a 2 on 1...I saw it coming, his D is no where what it was a few yrs. ago(AB would not have looked that bad defending Williams 4yrs. ago), his "improved jumpshot" is frustrating - if he's hitting it's great, when he's not? score a 2 for the other team. because he takes that pull up early in the shot-clock for no reason. so now i'm back to thinking he's way overpaid.

Jeff Green is a good player what makes you think he sleepwalks tell me because I keep seeing that criticism everyhwhere, and Bradley improved on his jumpshot and his defense is still very good. He may be a little overpaid but with the CBA increase and his improvement it may end up into a bargin.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Jeff Green is a good player what makes you think he sleepwalks tell me because I keep seeing that criticism everyhwhere, and Bradley improved on his jumpshot and his defense is still very good. He may be a little overpaid but with the CBA increase and his improvement it may end up into a bargin.

i'm sorry but i'm just not seeing the same D from AB that I saw yrs. ago. Bradley looked lost defending D. Williams the other night(I know Derron Williams might be a step faster but still). I saw it last yr. with AB and then seeing this past game all but solidified my opinion on him. and my point about him is his improved offense that everyone is clamoring about is fool's gold and i'd rather see much less of the "improved offense" and much more of the old D.

jeff green is a good player, he deserves to be out there starting. but when he scores 15? doesn't he leave you with a feeling like why didn't he have 30? I just think there's opportunities out there for green with all his talent to do more and be more.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 07:22:26 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Unless a legit difference maker becomes available and is a significant upgrade over our current player I'm content to wait it out until next Summer and see what we can find via free-agency with no need to sacrifice anything other than letting our expiring player walk.

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We've arguably got two top 10 players at their position in Smart and Rondo (if Smart gets even better and becomes a starting All Star/Damian Lillard/John Wall level talent at the SG I can see the biggest need at SF or C.

I would like a rim protector next to Sullinger ala the Pacers duo of David West and Hibbert.
I think if the Pacers can take the Heat to 7 games in those last few years, I think a team of

Rondo
Smart
*free agent*- not sure who
Sullinger
Hibbert

is a nice shot- it obviously hinges on Smart becoming the best or a top 3 shooting guard in the NBA and pretty much a franchise guy.
I just think with Stevens sets and Rondo's passing you'd get Hibbert involved so much inside and leave our shooters wide open.
Sully dragging his man out to the 3 point line and leaving Hibbert inside all alone surrounded by shooters and slashers would be an insane scenario. The passing between Hibbert and Sully and playing inside out would be awesome to watch.

One question would be, if we could sign DeAndre Jordan to a max deal if it meant we give up Kelly Olynyk, would you do it?
line up of:

Rondo
Smart
****who?
Sully
Jordan

That's a very tough defensive line up there- if we could get a small forward that drains threes and defends that's slightly better than Green then that's a very tough line up if Smart and Sully keep progressing.

Something like Pierce and KG off the bench would be sweet too ;)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This was my exact thoughts when opening the thread. However, I leave Rondo out of that so if we can upgrade 2-5 you make it happen.

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 09:19:41 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We've arguably got two top 10 players at their position in Smart and Rondo (if Smart gets even better and becomes a starting All Star/Damian Lillard/John Wall level talent at the SG I can see the biggest need at SF or C.

I'm not so sure anyone could be ready to make this argument. You could make the argument that Smart currently isn't even the best SG on our own team.

In 6 to 8 months, we'll see.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 09:23:31 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Most in need of an upgrade: The Center position.

I would definitely sacrifice some livestock to get one. Maybe even on an equinox.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 09:53:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
A legit, alpha dog 3.   A serviceable center would be nice too but I'd certainly sacrifice just about anyone outside of Rondo to bring in a small forward in the mold of a Melo/Pierce/etc...

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team