Author Topic: A+ Passing from C's/Those Nets picks are starting to look good as the season top  (Read 3425 times)

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
8 players in double figures. Another a field goal away. I am thrilled to see this style of team basketball especially to see how and if it will hold up against proven competition. I made a thread while back " What's stopping us from having a year like the Suns" Bad team or not C's played solid and they deserve credit for that. Yes I KNOW... ONE GAME.. Save me the pessimism

On the other hand, Lopez or not,  Nets are officialy Washed. Unless they sign someone this off season... those picks just previewed to be extremely clutch for us and horrible for Nets rebuilding future
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:39:02 PM by CelticsFanFromNYC »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
8 players in double figures. Another a field goal away. I am thrilled to see this style of team basketball especially to see how and if it will hold up against proven competition. I made a thread while back " What's stopping us from having a year like the Suns" Bad team or not C's played solid and they deserve credit for that. Yes I KNOW... ONE GAME.. Save me the pessimism

On the other hand, Lopez or not,  Nets are officialy Washed. Unless they sign someone this off season... those picks just previewed to be extremely clutch for us and horrible for Nets rebuilding future

Of course, no Pierce either and it's the start of the season, but this is pretty much the team that got to the playoffs last year (with Lopez being out), so as much as we want to rationalize playing against a bad team, I don't think we need to take it to the extreme.

They still have Garnett, Williams, and Johnson which are a legit trio. Garnett looked good yesterday, Williams got hot in the 2nd half, and Johnson is one guy that is very difficult for us to defend due to his length at SG.

In the end I thought this was more of how we played than who we played against.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Of course, no Pierce either and it's the start of the season, but this is pretty much the team that got to the playoffs last year (with Lopez being out), so as much as we want to rationalize playing against a bad team, I don't think we need to take it to the extreme.

They still have Garnett, Williams, and Johnson which are a legit trio. Garnett looked good yesterday, Williams got hot in the 2nd half, and Johnson is one guy that is very difficult for us to defend due to his length at SG.

No Pierce/Livingston is massive for them. Missing two of the core players that made their small ball lineup work.

Joe Johnson doesn't work nearly as well as Pierce as a small ball PF defensively or on the glass. It also doesn't allow them to switch defense so easily and seemlessly.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

No Pierce/Livingston is massive for them. Missing two of the core players that made their small ball lineup work.

Joe Johnson doesn't work nearly as well as Pierce as a small ball PF defensively or on the glass. It also doesn't allow them to switch defense so easily and seemlessly.

Yes there's always going to be something, but they still have talented all-star level types playing out there.

Also, Jarret Jack is a very good off the bench PG, extremely underrated.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yes there's always going to be something, but they still have talented all-star level types playing out there.

Who exactly is all-star level on the current team? Former all-star appearances don't help them on the court now.

Joe Johnson was an all-star last year but he was largely viewed as the weakest and he's now thrust into a role that's harder for him.

Jack is a scoring PG, Livingston provided them with size, defense, and passing. They don't fill the same niche. Jack is duplicative with what the decline Deron brings now-a-days.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Who exactly is all-star level on the current team? Former all-star appearances don't help them on the court now.

Joe Johnson was an all-star last year but he was largely viewed as the weakest and he's now thrust into a role that's harder for him.

Jack is a scoring PG, Livingston provided them with size, defense, and passing. They don't fill the same niche. Jack is duplicative with what the decline Deron brings now-a-days.

OK, Brooklyn is awful we got lucky.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Brooklyn IS awful.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Brooklyn IS awful.
Yeah, without Lopez I don't see this squad working like last years did.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Brooklyn IS awful.
Yeah, without Lopez I don't see this squad working like last years did.

The point wasn't to compare this team's to last year, or argue that they're equal or better. Just an affirmation that without Lopez, they have nearly the squad that took them to the playoffs last year, to the 2nd round.

The point was that they still have talent on that team. And the dismissiveness of Johnson and Williams is unneeded.

Johnson had a monster playoffs performance and Williams is healthier than he's looked in the last handful of years, and that can't be ignored, who also had a strong preseason.

Garnett looked very good yesterday as well, hitting jumpers without problems, getting to the paint and doing some very good moves, getting into position, etc.

And as mentioned Jarret Jack is very good off the bench, no need to ignore his skill set as different as it may be from Livingstons.

The main problem yesterday for Brooklyn was other than playing against the Celtics who had their number all preseason, was coaching & rotation. For example, underplaying Kirilenko and Teletovic when they were hurting for PF play yesterday.

But we don't have to go to the extremes to downplay the Celtics' performance, which was the main gist of it all.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The point wasn't to compare this team's to last year, or argue that they're equal or better. Just an affirmation that without Lopez, they have nearly the squad that took them to the playoffs last year, to the 2nd round.
So which one is it? You're not comparing to last year, but your point is to say that they're almost the same as last year. Doesn't make much sense.

And either way, they are a completely different team than they were last season. Last season's team got nearly 5,500 minutes combined from Pierce, Livingston, and Blatche, who are all no longer with the club. The Nets are looking at Jack and Bogdanovic to pick up the slack there, which looks like a clear downgrade to me.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
So which one is it? You're not comparing to last year, but your point is to say that they're almost the same as last year. Doesn't make much sense.

And either way, they are a completely different team than they were last season. Last season's team got nearly 5,500 minutes combined from Pierce, Livingston, and Blatche, who are all no longer with the club. The Nets are looking at Jack and Bogdanovic to pick up the slack there, which looks like a clear downgrade to me.

One thing is to compare their play, it's another to discuss their roster make-up.

That said, completely forgot about Blatche, that's what they were missing more than anything yesterday. Pierce I had already referenced.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I wouldn't read too much into one game, but the Nets looked old, slow, and disinterested.  Deron Williams is no where close to the player he used to be.  So, I'm encouraged about those future pics.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:01:04 PM by knuckleballer »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I love KG but when he is looking like one of the better players on the team (at this point in his career) things are not going to go well.  Granted our defense is going to give a lot of teams problems this year but brooklyn looks dysfunctional.  I'd try to trade d williams (still hate him from sloan firing) but I think Jarret Jack would be a better fit.  AK looks done, JJ is good but not that good.  They need a healthy Lopez for most of the year AND the playoffs.  And we all know that isn't going to happen  :-\

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
BudweiserCeltic you're focusing on the Nets offensive talent, and they have quite a bit of it. But they're entirely perimeter based without Lopez, even worse than last year because they lack Blatche. That matches well with the C's defensive strengths and the Nets had zero ways to attack the C's weakness. Meanwhile defensively the Nets were awful. They lost 2 of their strongest defenders this offseason and played small providing KG zero help rebounding and defending the paint.

Noting how matchups played into a result isn't diminishing the C's or going to extremes. It is analyzing the game, that's all.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

One thing is to compare their play, it's another to discuss their roster make-up.

That said, completely forgot about Blatche, that's what they were missing more than anything yesterday. Pierce I had already referenced.
We have exactly 1 game of information on this Nets squad, if we're not going to draw from last year's iteration and how the roster has changed what information are we supposed to use?

I mean the Nets were even playing small like they did last year with a wing at PF, how can you not compare?