Author Topic: A+ Passing from C's/Those Nets picks are starting to look good as the season top  (Read 3442 times)

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The point wasn't to compare this team's to last year, or argue that they're equal or better. Just an affirmation that without Lopez, they have nearly the squad that took them to the playoffs last year, to the 2nd round.
So which one is it? You're not comparing to last year, but your point is to say that they're almost the same as last year. Doesn't make much sense.

And either way, they are a completely different team than they were last season. Last season's team got nearly 5,500 minutes combined from Pierce, Livingston, and Blatche, who are all no longer with the club. The Nets are looking at Jack and Bogdanovic to pick up the slack there, which looks like a clear downgrade to me.

One thing is to compare their play, it's another to discuss their roster make-up.

That said, completely forgot about Blatche, that's what they were missing more than anything yesterday. Pierce I had already referenced.
We have exactly 1 game of information on this Nets squad, if we're not going to draw from last year's iteration and how the roster has changed what information are we supposed to use?

I mean the Nets were even playing small like they did last year with a wing at PF, how can you not compare?

They went small with the wrong personnel from their roster which is more of a coaching issue than a roster composition issue.

And I think it's worth noting that it was the Celtics' play which forced them into that strategy. I think that's important to point out.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They went small with the wrong personnel from their roster which is more of a coaching issue than a roster composition issue.
And?

C's can only play the guys on the court with them. Just because you think there was a better rotation doesn't mean anything when you look at how impressive the C's victory was or wasn't.

Besides who else where they supposed to go small with, Pierce/Livingston aren't walking through that door and everyone else got some run.

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
And?

C's can only play the guys on the court with them. Just because you think there was a better rotation doesn't mean anything when you look at how impressive the C's victory was or wasn't.

Besides who else where they supposed to go small with, Pierce/Livingston aren't walking through that door and everyone else got some run.

Teletovic with Garnett or Plumlee for starters.

Bogdanovic and Johnson had no business playing the 3-4 together. Kirilenko above any of these two in the PF regardless of how he's playing.

And as mentioned in my post above which I edited, it was the Celtics play that forced them to go with these different units, I think that's important to note. It's one thing for them to use a strategy out of their own accord and them scrambling to find something that works against us.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The Nets were terrible, particularly on defense- we also shot 55% and only took 22 three point shots (at 35%) which surprised me in a good way.

But yes the passing was excellent and they did a good job running plays- Stevens is making this team smarter by the day and adding so much by getting our players to observe and choose from multiple options out of every set play- which I really like.

I will say again that the Nets were pretty terrible, and we aren't always going to shoot that well, but it was a VERY good first game for us and if we are going to win some of these first 9 games then this was pretty much the best way to start out.

Excited to see us vs the Rox.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.