Author Topic: Clippers 1st round pick watch thread  (Read 15621 times)

Re: Clippers 1st round pick watch thread
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
So what you're saying is that we should be measuring them against some hypothetical situation where their starting center, who has missed half (as in 50%) of his potential NBA games over the last three years, is magically healthy, rather than the fact that, you know, they've been a worse team (insofar as record against the rest of the league is concerned) that's gone .500 against LA (http://bkref.com/tiny/CQyOw) over that same time period and, of course, we're not supposed to factor in injuries on the Clippers half of the equation?

Gee, you're right, I guess we should be paying attention to what actually happens on the basketball court.

You clearly aren't paying attention to the court because Bogut, you know, hasn't gotten hurt this year.  If and when he does get hurt, I'd say that probably would knock the Warriors down below the Clips.  But that HASN'T HAPPENED yet.

Mike

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

So what you're saying is that we should be measuring them against some hypothetical situation where their starting center, who has missed half (as in 50%) of his potential NBA games over the last three years, is magically healthy, rather than the fact that, you know, they've been a worse team (insofar as record against the rest of the league is concerned) that's gone .500 against LA (http://bkref.com/tiny/CQyOw) over that same time period and, of course, we're not supposed to factor in injuries on the Clippers half of the equation?

Gee, you're right, I guess we should be paying attention to what actually happens on the basketball court.

You clearly aren't paying attention to the court because Bogut, you know, hasn't gotten hurt this year.  If and when he does get hurt, I'd say that probably would knock the Warriors down below the Clips.  But that HASN'T HAPPENED yet.

Mike

The Clippers are still a better team than the Warriors, and the fact that you're reduced to defending Bogut's health by pointing out that he's been able to see the floor for one whole game this season is adorable. As is the caps lock. At any rate, go ahead and drink some warm milk, it'll make you feel better.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 03:35:23 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
The Clippers aren't that deep, despite the Hawes signing. Their second unit is:

Farmar
Crawford
Bullock
Davis
Hawes

Not a bad bench but certainly not one of the stronger ones in the western conference. Actually our bench is probably better than theirs at this point. The clips are weak at PG, SF and PF. They will end up making a trade midseason for a SF (Cory Brewer?) I expect, but, as you can see, their thinnest positions are the ones their stars occupy.

I'd say that's a really good bench, about equal to ours (both of which are some of the best in the league)

Farmar<Smart
Crawford>Thornton
Bullock<Turner
Davis=Bass
Hawes>Zeller

Our bench is a little stronger 1-5 (the biggest positional differential out of those matchups being Turner over Bullock), but it's made up for by the fact that the Clippers have the reigning sixth man of the year in Crawford.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 07:58:40 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I was actually checking the Clippers situation before the Rondo trade actually happened.  Maybe the Mavs can help push the Clippers pick more to our liking.  lol   The Clippers are currently a 5th seed in the west with the Spurs and Mavs right on their heels and the Thunder are coming on strong. 

I was looking at the Clippers schedule and I would say after January 22nd it gets really brutal.  They have 39 games at that point.  24 of those games will be on the road.       

Here is some of their tougher road games: Suns (twice), Pelicans, Spurs, Cavs, Raptors, Thunder (twice), Mavs (twice) , Rockets, Grizzles, Bulls, Warriors, Kings, Celtics (being hopeful. lol), Blazers, and Nuggets.  That's 18 really tough road games out of 39 games remaining. 

Then they play some of these same teams for 11 tough home games, and a 12th against the Wizards. 

I could see them stalling at about .500 ball from January 25th on with this schedule. 

I should start a Mavs 1st round pick watch thread now.  lol

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I was actually checking the Clippers situation before the Rondo trade actually happened.  Maybe the Mavs can help push the Clippers pick more to our liking.  lol   The Clippers are currently a 5th seed in the west with the Spurs and Mavs right on their heels and the Thunder are coming on strong. 

I was looking at the Clippers schedule and I would say after January 22nd it gets really brutal.  They have 39 games at that point.  24 of those games will be on the road.       

Here is some of their tougher road games: Suns (twice), Pelicans, Spurs, Cavs, Raptors, Thunder (twice), Mavs (twice) , Rockets, Grizzles, Bulls, Warriors, Kings, Celtics (being hopeful. lol), Blazers, and Nuggets.  That's 18 really tough road games out of 39 games remaining. 

Then they play some of these same teams for 11 tough home games, and a 12th against the Wizards. 

I could see them stalling at about .500 ball from January 25th on with this schedule. 

The protections on the Mavs pick makes it likely we'll get it next season. Though hopefully Rondo can help us knock the Clips down a peg or two.

Clippers currently 18-7, 5th in West and 6.0 games ahead of the 9 seed as of December 19th.

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The problem is that the 9 seed out West will likely be a .500 team, since the top 8 teams aren't likely to lose much to the 9th - 12th best teams and they will steamroll everyone in the East.  There is almost no chance that the Mavs or Cavs therefore fall into the lottery, even if they have a major injury to one of their big guys.  Best case scenario is that one of the picks falls to around the 18th - 21st, but most likely it's 23rd - 25th for the two of them.  It will most likely look like this:

1.) Golden State
2.) Memphis
3.) Portland
4.) Houston
5.) Dallas
6.) Clippers
7.) Spurs
8.) OKC

I was optimistic there was a chance that the Suns could potentially be a legit team to knock them out, but I'm not seeing it now.  I think our actual best case scenario is packaging the two Xavs* picks for like the 15th or 16th pick.  We might have to throw in cash and the 76ers 2nd rounders to get up that high, but there will be a good player there.

/*That is my new term for the Mavs and Cavs picks

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 10:59:41 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen

Just thought I'd bump this thread.  The Clippers really need to take advantage of this stretch of games as their schedule will start to get brutal soon with the Spurs and Suns on their heels, and you know the Thunder will make a run.  the Clippers currently have the the 6th seed 2 1/2 games ahead of the Spurs, 3 games ahead of the Suns, and 6 games ahead of the Thunder and Pelicans both tied for the 9th seed.

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Lebron to be a game time decision tomorrow against the Suns, so hopefully he doesn't play or isn't at full strength until Friday's game at LAC.

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 09:23:09 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Let's thank the Cavs for beating the Clippers.

I hope the Kings will beat them again.

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 09:47:39 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Let's thank the Cavs for beating the Clippers.

I hope the Kings will beat them again.

Pretty please.

I still don't think OKC will make the playoffs, they just don't look good to me, they still have a chance of course. I will wish with everything I have that any teams behind the Clips will come up and push them out. I like OKC and I have nothing against the Spurs, so I would like to see both get it together to be 2 that squeeze in (without pushing Suns or another team out instead).

Goooo any Western team not named LA Clippers!!!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2015, 04:16:52 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
We play them tomorrow.  I guess if you want to really root for swim this is it. Lol

Starting in a few days the Clippers schedule starts to get really brutal.  Suns are only 3.5 games back and you know the Thunder are coming.

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2015, 11:16:22 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen

The schedule for the Clippers the rest of the season is going to be brutal as pointed out above.

2 out of the next 11 games until the all star break are on the road.  I could see them going 4 and 7 during this stretch. 

Sun, Jan 25   
@ Phoenix

Mon, Jan 26   
vs Denver

Wed, Jan 28   
@ Utah

Fri, Jan 30   
@ New Orleans

Sat, Jan 31   
@San Antonio

Mon, Feb 2   
@ Brooklyn

Thu, Feb 5   
@Cleveland

Fri, Feb 6   
@ Toronto

Sun, Feb 8   
@ Oklahoma City

Mon, Feb 9   
@ Dallas

Wed, Feb 11   
vs Houston

Then check out the 13 games after the break finishing at home against Houston again.  Maybe I see them going 7 and 6 here. 

Thu, Feb 19   
vs San Antonio

Sat, Feb 21   
vs Sacramento

Mon, Feb 23   
vs Memphis

Wed, Feb 25   
@ Houston

Fri, Feb 27   
@ Memphis

Sun, Mar 1   
@ Chicago

Mon, Mar 2   
@ Minnesota

Wed, Mar 4   
vs Portland

Sun, Mar 8   
@ Golden State

Mon, Mar 9   
vs Minnesota

Wed, Mar 11   
@ Oklahoma City

Fri, Mar 13   
@ Dallas

Sun, Mar 15   
vs Houston

So for the next 24 games the Clippers could be playing under .500 ball.   With the Thunder coming on strong, the Suns hanging on, the Aldridge injury things could get really interesting for who doesn't make the playoffs. 

Clippers are currently 1.5 games behind the Blazers and the Grizzlies, a game behind the Mavs, tied with Rockets, 2.5 games ahead of the Spurs, 3.5 games ahead of the Suns, and 6.5 games ahead of the Thunder currently in the 9th spot with the Pelicans hanging around a game behind them. 

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2015, 11:30:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Overly wishful thinking.

They are currently tied for the 6th best record in the league and you expect them to drop off the map?

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
Overly wishful thinking.

They are currently tied for the 6th best record in the league and you expect them to drop off the map?

You're putting words in my mouth with an overly simple statement.

In summary all I basically said due to their schedule the rest of the season, and more specifically their next 24 games things could get interesting especially given how well teams right below them are playing.

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Overly wishful thinking.

You're putting words in my mouth with an overly simple statement.

In summary all I basically said due to their schedule the rest of the season, and more specifically their next 24 games things could get interesting especially given how well teams right below them are playing.

But ignoring how well they are playing.

In the last 10, they are 7-3.

The teams below them:
6-4
7-3
8-2
7-3
5-5

One team is 1 game better then them in the last 10 games.