Author Topic: Clippers 1st round pick watch thread  (Read 15622 times)

Clippers 1st round pick watch thread
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I know there was a similar thread last year for the worse of the Nets/Hawks pick we got.  I haven't seen one created for the Clippers pick so I figured I would create one.

First Clippers game is tonight is home against the Thunder.  They should win the game with Durant out.

The Clippers were only 2 and 6 in the preseason.  Preseason records don't really mean much but 4 of their losses were in double digits to the Warriors, Jazz, Nuggets, and Warriors again.  The 2 wins were by less than 5 points.  Not sure if anyone has any insight why it seemed they didn't play well in the preason?   

I don't know if this team has anything to be really concerned about, but they do seem a little thin at SF.  They don't have Dudley, and Barnes and Turkoglu are a year older.   Seem very vulnerable there.  They didn't bring Collison back who seemed to play well for them last year, and brought in Farmar to back up Paul.   We'll see how that pans out.  Big Baby and Hawes and maybe Edoh are the primary back up bigs.  I think they could be solid. 

Crawford averaged 18.6 PPG last year, but he is now 34.   Reddick seems to be back healthy at least. 

Overall their success largely depends on the health of Jordan, Griffin, and Paul.   With the West so loaded with Rockets, Suns, Trailblazers, Spurs, Warriors, Mavs, Thunder, and even teams such as Pelicans, Nuggets, and Grizzlies could be fighting for playoff spots.  Any kind of injury to one of these 3 guys could push them to the middle of the pack for the playoff push IMO. 

Re: Clippers 1st round pick watch thread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
They're still the best team in the division, for my money, which means that they'll be squarely in the playoffs.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Clippers are legit title contenders, so I'm not too concerned with the pick. In fact, I would say the Sixers 2nd rd pick has greater value since it's not guaranteed.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:36:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
That pick will be anywhere from 24 to 30. It'll still be a great asset to have but I wouldn't get hopes up of any type of lottery chances.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Must be just me but I think there's a fair chance that team stumbles this year with or without key injuries.  Would not surprise me if they don't win their division and come in at a 5 or 6 seed (or lower but that's just my anti-Doc bias coming out at that point).

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Clippers are going to win a lot of games this year; little chance that pick is any lower than the mid-20s.

Those Nets picks, on the other hand...  it's obviously only one game, but did anything about Brooklyn look like a playoff squad last night?  And how are they supposed to get better in the next few seasons with their cap situation and lack of draft picks?

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 12:25:09 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
mid 20's unless both Paul and Griffin are hurt a lot...
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They're still the best team in the division, for my money, which means that they'll be squarely in the playoffs.

Golden State > LA Clippers

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think they have more talent, I'm not sure they'll utilize it enough just yet. Kerr has the opportunity though.

That's without the upgrade the Love would have brought their team. Maddening decision still in my mind.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The West was very competitive last year, and there's little reason to believe it won't be again this year.  The margin for error in that conference is very small.  Take a few games off in the season and you might find yourself the 3rd seed that the 7th seed.  While the most likely scenario is that we wind up with the 26th to 30th pick, it doesn't take much for it to wind up a few slots earlier, and even a minor collapse (winning 50 instead of 57 games) could push it into the lottery and the 14th overall pick.

Last year a really good team didn't make the playoffs.  If New Orleans stays healthy this year, it could be two really good teams that don't make it.  I'm not sure there's a single lock for the postseason in the West.  If you like rooting for Celtics draft picks, it definitely could be something to watch.  Not something to expect, but something to hope for all the same.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Those Nets picks, on the other hand...  it's obviously only one game, but did anything about Brooklyn look like a playoff squad last night?  And how are they supposed to get better in the next few seasons with their cap situation and lack of draft picks?

Yeah, those Brooklyn picks are very exciting - we've potentially got their 1sts for the next 3 years (swap rights in 2017).  I don't think they're likely to ever be a bottom-5 team, but barring a major change the lottery seems to be in their future.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 02:55:59 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Clippers have the best two players and are still the better team. 

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 03:08:28 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'm hoping for the best, expecting the worst regarding the Clipps pick. That said, if it's any consolation there doesn't seem to be a heck of a lot of separation between picks 12-25 talent wise in this upcoming draft. Unfortunately, I think that speaks more to the huge dropoff after the first 5-7 picks than it does to the overall depth. This draft just looks like a bunch of role players to me. Wily Cauely-Stein and Sam Dekker are projected to go picks #10 and 11 on Draft Express, which I find to be rather depressing. Of course, it's Oct 30th as I write this....

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 03:10:59 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm happy to get a mid round pick for Doc who wanted to leave anyways.  Kudos to Mr Ainge on that one

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Clippers are legit title contenders, so I'm not too concerned with the pick. In fact, I would say the Sixers 2nd rd pick has greater value since it's not guaranteed.

Very salient point.