Author Topic: Smart's chances at ROY  (Read 7661 times)

Re: Smart's chances at ROY
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I think it be between Wiggins, Parker, and Noel...Gordon, Smart, Payton, right behin them..I still think Exum will be a major bust
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Something to keep in mind regarding Smart's tenacious D: Should he have the reins at PG in the future and be playing 36 mpg as the primary ball handler, I doubt you'll see this intensity. It's not because he's a jerk or something, but there's only so much gas in the tank on most nights. The '14-'15 Smart at 20-25 mpg and playing off the ball often may be the best defensive version of him we ever get to see.

So consider your parade rained on, everyone.

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »

Offline bostonsportsfan

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
its not going to be very good its going to be between Wiggins Parker Noel or Payton Why them? Because they all started their first game and they all play for a horrible team.  There are 3 Ways that Marcus smart Starts and none of them are good Reason 1. Avery Bradley Gets Hurt 2. Rajon Rondo Gets Hurt 3. Rajon Rondo gets traded. I opt for #4 None of the above which means smart does not win ROY

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Something to keep in mind regarding Smart's tenacious D: Should he have the reins at PG in the future and be playing 36 mpg as the primary ball handler, I doubt you'll see this intensity. It's not because he's a jerk or something, but there's only so much gas in the tank on most nights. The '14-'15 Smart at 20-25 mpg and playing off the ball often may be the best defensive version of him we ever get to see.

How do you explain his tenacious D for 33 minutes per at Oklahoma State ?

Parade saved. No umbrella needed.

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 05:10:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

If I had to guess, I'd say that playing tenacious defense in the NBA is a little more demanding than it is in the NCAA. But who am I to judge?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 05:18:47 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

If I had to guess, I'd say that playing tenacious defense in the NBA is a little more demanding than it is in the NCAA. But who am I to judge?

For sure.

But don't be fooled that this player can't step it up and do it.  He's proven it. At a high level.  He did it in the preseason as well, with more minutes under his belt.

You going to bet against him in the NBA that he can't defend for 30 minutes per ?  I wouldn't take that bet, and I don't think you would either.

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think that's what's being said, though? To my reading, it looks like Nerf is saying that if Smart's forced to be the starting point guard, he's going to have to reallocate his efforts -- similarly to the way we saw Bradley tone it down when he had to take on a bigger role.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 05:28:03 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

For sure.

But don't be fooled that this player can't step it up and do it.  He's proven it. At a high level.  He did it in the preseason as well, with more minutes under his belt.

You going to bet against him in the NBA that he can't defend for 30 minutes per ?  I wouldn't take that bet, and I don't think you would either.

I just want to say that, as an Okie State student at the same time as Marcus was there... This guy never stopped playing. His motor was relentless, especially for a team that was terribly coached and completely undersized. There were times where I saw no motivation for him to be playing 30min a night guarding the SFs on the other team, and he always came out to ball. I could care less about the flopping and drama he was criticized for. He was the only one that cared on that team and this won't change this year or 8 years into his pro career.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I don't think that's what's being said, though? To my reading, it looks like Nerf is saying that if Smart's forced to be the starting point guard, he's going to have to reallocate his efforts -- similarly to the way we saw Bradley tone it down when he had to take on a bigger role.

Bradley's exactly who I was thinking of. '11-12 AB's defensive effort vs last season's was noticeable to the naked eye. Then there's the more pronounced and disgusting Mark Blount example. Now, Marcus Smart isn't Avery Bradley or Mark Blount, but it's common for players when becoming more involved in the offense to have a corresponding dropoff on the other end.

But heck, I'm still hopeful he can be one of the best 2-way guards in the league someday.

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 05:59:14 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I with agree with the school of thought that these awards typically don't reward the defensive-minded.  If he really comes along at light speed offensively to go with what we already see on the other end, then he would still be a dark horse at best but chances would be better.

Frankly, I love that we went for defense first.  At times we can get carried away when we watch a McDermott shoot on a good night or see the "potential" in another college great who makes the highlight real on a particular day.  However, I don't think we could have asked for better from this high pick.  ROY or not, he'll be a solid player for years if he stays healthy.

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Bradley's exactly who I was thinking of. '11-12 AB's defensive effort vs last season's was noticeable to the naked eye. Then there's the more pronounced and disgusting Mark Blount example. Now, Marcus Smart isn't Avery Bradley or Mark Blount, but it's common for players when becoming more involved in the offense to have a corresponding dropoff on the other end.

But heck, I'm still hopeful he can be one of the best 2-way guards in the league someday.
My theory is that Bradley's one trick on defense gets really old really quick.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 06:06:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I don't think he'll get enough minutes/touches to compete with Parker/Wiggins/Noel over the long run. We won't be able to run small nearly as often over the course of the season as we did against the Nets.

Actual level of play rarely enters into RoY contest. Instead its a combination of hype, highlights, and touches.

Yup -- 28 MPG isn't going to cut it. I'd rather see him make a run for the All-Defense team, tbh.

That would be awesome. Arguably more impressive, too, given he will be limited in minutes relative to Noel and Parker.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 06:48:03 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

Maybe.  I think if he's forced to be the starter, he'll exceed even more with time.  The guy has a huge heart and is the ultimate competitor, he'll do it the entire 48 minutes if that's what it takes.