Author Topic: Smart's chances at ROY  (Read 7658 times)

Re: Smart's chances at ROY
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 01:05:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
smart has a better chance to make the all defensive team (2nd team) vs winning the ROY award

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
5%

Wiggins and Parker will start, Smart won't barring injury.   He is already the best defender among the rookies.

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 01:12:51 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Bottom line, hardware or not, this is a great pick and he's got a real chance to turn around games based on his defense alone.  He just knows how to play D, and he'll be a nightmare for EVERY point guard in the league.  I also like how quickly he gets the ball up the floor on offense.  Always looking to push.

He's also got the most heart out of any of the draft picks which means he'll put in the work needed to get better, and better, and better.

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not great, he's not likely to start or score many points.  He'll get a lot of respect around the league though, I'll bet.

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 01:38:11 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think Smart needs more minutes/ touches.
Great win but this is a player development year, I don't want Thornton playing over Smart. Makes no sense.

I actually liked the Rondo/Thornton pairing last night.  For short minutes, I think its a solid combo.  Problem is on the defensive end but if the team needs an offensive spark, I like those two out there together.

I really like Thornton's spark off the bench, and as Mike Gorman said last night his play on the defensive side had been a pleasant surprise during the preseason.  He is only 27 so we could even re-sign him next offseason, but at the very least use as a trade asset and keep the seat warm until James Young is ready for that role.

Back on topic with Smart not starting it's going to be very hard to be in the ROY discussion.  I think it's Parker's to lose.  He may be among the league's steals leaders while coming off the bench.  That will be something.   

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I really like Thornton's spark off the bench, and as Mike Gorman said last night his play on the defensive side had been a pleasant surprise during the preseason.  He is only 27 so we could even re-sign him next offseason, but at the very least use as a trade asset and keep the seat warm until James Young is ready for that role.
My only concern with guys like Thornton and Turner is that they'll overachieve this season, get some money thrown at them, and revert to what they have been for most of their careers.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
smart has a better chance to make the all defensive team (2nd team) vs winning the ROY award
tp for reading my mind

what am i thinking now!  ::)

i was thinking our three guard rotation of rondo, bradley and smart might actually hurt each other in all defensive team votes

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Smart is furious defender......I think by the time this year is up and all the players in the league have experienced having him in their face the respect will be there

He is just a beast all over the court. In his opponents faces every sec.

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 02:25:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
tp for reading my mind

i was thinking our three guard rotation of rondo, bradley and smart might actually hurt each other in all defensive team votes

Smart over Bradley. And AB is considered a top defender in the league.

Imo Smart is very close to Tony Allen's level on the defensive end

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
I think Smart needs more minutes/ touches.
Great win but this is a player development year, I don't want Thornton playing over Smart. Makes no sense.

I actually liked the Rondo/Thornton pairing last night.  For short minutes, I think its a solid combo.  Problem is on the defensive end but if the team needs an offensive spark, I like those two out there together.

Back on topic with Smart not starting it's going to be very hard to be in the ROY discussion.  I think it's Parker's to lose.  He may be among the league's steals leaders while coming off the bench.  That will be something.

He's finally got a coach that number one believes in his offensive game, and number two, knows how to define his role.  He's the 10-15 minute guy who the coach says, 'shoot when even remotely open'.  I want you to score the rock.

Thornton loves that.

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 03:32:54 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
Smart is furious defender......I think by the time this year is up and all the players in the league have experienced having him in their face the respect will be there

He is just a beast all over the court. In his opponents faces every sec.

He just knows how to get up into the opponents space and you can't do much about it.  He's a legit candidate for all-nba defensive first team in his first year.  He's only 20.

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
tp for reading my mind

Smart over Bradley. And AB is considered a top defender in the league.

Imo Smart is very close to Tony Allen's level on the defensive end
agree on smart better than bradley defensively which is saying A LOT
I feel smart is the best rookie guard defender i've seen since gary payton

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I'm going to go ahead and agree with you guys that we presently have one of the all-time greatest defensive back courts.

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with you guys that we presently have one of the all-time greatest defensive back courts.

Come on, nobody's saying that.  Maybe some are going a bit too far, but we just got a nice win - there'll be plenty of time to overreact in a negative direction later.

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Pretty simple to me..
Any player, much less a rookie, that averages at least 2 steals a game deserves an All-NBA defensive team nod.

So to me, that should be Marcus's best shot at ROY.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens