Author Topic: Smart's chances at ROY  (Read 7634 times)

Smart's chances at ROY
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
based on initial play of Smart and those taken before him, Smart seems to be a solid contender for the award.  Wiggins, Parker, Exum, Noel (from last year) and Gordon didn't do anything to set themselves apart from the rest to start the season.

Thoughts/Comments?

Re: Smart's chances at ROY
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think he'll get enough minutes/touches to compete with Parker/Wiggins/Noel over the long run. We won't be able to run small nearly as often over the course of the season as we did against the Nets.

Actual level of play rarely enters into RoY contest. Instead its a combination of hype, highlights, and touches.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think Smart needs more minutes/ touches.
Great win but this is a player development year, I don't want Thornton playing over Smart. Makes no sense.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:10:36 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't think Smart will get enough run.  Right now, things are so cramped at the guard position for the Celtics. 

To me, I think ROY will come down to Parker or Noel. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think he'll get enough minutes/touches to compete with Parker/Wiggins/Noel over the long run. We won't be able to run small nearly as often over the course of the season as we did against the Nets.

Actual level of play rarely enters into RoY contest. Instead its a combination of hype, highlights, and touches.

Yup -- 28 MPG isn't going to cut it. I'd rather see him make a run for the All-Defense team, tbh.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:13:24 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Great win but this is a player development year, I don't want Thornton playing over Smart. Makes no sense.

I actually liked the Rondo/Thornton pairing last night.  For short minutes, I think its a solid combo.  Problem is on the defensive end but if the team needs an offensive spark, I like those two out there together. 

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
i'd say very slim. doesn't help his case that he has a teammate like Rondo who makes him look less spectacular.

ROY is likely going to be Noel, or Jabari Parker. I'm leaning more towards NN.
- LilRip

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Not sure if he is going to win ROY but he is going to play ALOT!  You hear Steven's comments after the game?  he clearly has a man crush on the kid! 

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I actually liked the Rondo/Thornton pairing last night.  For short minutes, I think its a solid combo.  Problem is on the defensive end but if the team needs an offensive spark, I like those two out there together.
Yeah.

I didn't like Thorton/Turner combo personally. Both too prone to make some wild drives and put up sketchy shots. They made plenty of them last night but I don't think that's something we want to see a lot of.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah.

I didn't like Thorton/Turner combo personally. Both too prone to make some wild drives and put up sketchy shots. They made plenty of them last night but I don't think that's something we want to see a lot of.

Agreed.  The combined ball handling of that combo is atrocious.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 11:29:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Excuse me sir but article 35LVII of the CB charter states that I must explicitly fight you to the death on the internet with no lives in danger if you suggest that Rondo's defense is anything other than adequate, however implicitly.

Prepare yourself!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Excuse me sir but article 35LVII of the CB charter states that I must explicitly fight you to the death on the internet with no lives in danger if you suggest that Rondo's defense is anything other than adequate, however implicitly.

Prepare yourself!

Then I'm sure the usual suspects will come after me for that perceived slight.   ::)

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 12:53:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's more accurate to say that ROY correlates strongly to PPG.  Marcus Smart isn't going to lead all rookies in PPG.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

It's more accurate to say that ROY correlates strongly to PPG.  Marcus Smart isn't going to lead all rookies in PPG.
true, PPG is the flashier stat but if this C's team has a better-than-expected year and Smart is a big cog in that improvement with his D (and some scoring and assists), I think he'll be in the discussion.

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

true, PPG is the flashier stat but if this C's team has a better-than-expected year and Smart is a big cog in that improvement with his D (and some scoring and assists), I think he'll be in the discussion.
To get a few 3rd place votes, that sort of thing.

I mean he could certainly breakout and win RoY, but he's a long shot.