Author Topic: Oh Crap, how much money will Sully command.  (Read 9704 times)

Re: Oh Crap, how much money will Sully command.
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Why do you think we can't afford two big men?

You need more than one quality big to win.
You need more than one quality big, each of them preferably better than either Sullinger or Olynyk. Those two are decent, but not exactly world beaters.

You're talking as if these players are finished products.  They just got in the league, and one of them is 22.  Give them a chance for darn sakes.  We don't know what type of quality we have at this point.  It sure looks promising though, considering the amount of time they've had in this league.

We do have some idea of how they'll progress, though -- the jump in player ability from their early 20's to their mid 20's is something that's been paid attention to once or twice before in the history of the NBA.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 05:17:30 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Any contract would have to be insured heavily for injury and contain weight clauses. Hopefully, he is the real deal and becomes a legit $10M player.

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 05:43:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

You need more than one quality big, each of them preferably better than either Sullinger or Olynyk. Those two are decent, but not exactly world beaters.

You're talking as if these players are finished products.  They just got in the league, and one of them is 22.  Give them a chance for darn sakes.  We don't know what type of quality we have at this point.  It sure looks promising though, considering the amount of time they've had in this league.
I fully expect them to become more polished, more skilled, and perhaps stronger. I don't see how any of them will become quicker, longer, or more athletic.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
If he is averaging 16/10 on over 48% fg I'd slot him at 9 to 11 million per year. 14/8 with 45% (+/- 2%) fg it's more like 6 to 8 million per.

I like this assessment if we were signing him to a long term deal today. It's the difference between giving him Brandon Bass $ and giving him Derrick Favors $. We'll see what he does in the next year or two and then decide.

His 4 year extension off his rookie deal will start the same year the new TV money comes to fruition so I wouldn't be surprised to see a $10-11 million first year of that extension with the raises built in thereafter. Probably around a 4 year $43-48 million contract extension

This is the prevailing wisdom in this thread so far. No one knows what the cap situation will look like after the looming lockout season. It's a total mystery. The projected salary cap for next season is $66.5M with a tax line of $81M. That might hold but I'd guess it will be a little higher next season and even higher the season after (when Sully is an RFA).

Lewis was also, briefly, worth that money.

Nope.

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

I fully expect them to become more polished, more skilled, and perhaps stronger. I don't see how any of them will become quicker, longer, or more athletic.

Barring major injuries, both players will make multiple All-Star appearances over the course of their careers. 

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Athleticism isn't everything, I think they'll high quality big men let's not call them finished products yet.....

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
my point exactly.  Everyone is acting like Monroe wants too much money (12-15 per) and Sully will be on his rookie contract forever.  Dude, Sully is going to want 12 million per season MINIMUM.  Just wait until he averages 16/9 this season.

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
my point exactly.  Everyone is acting like Monroe wants too much money (12-15 per) and Sully will be on his rookie contract forever.  Dude, Sully is going to want 12 million per season MINIMUM.  Just wait until he averages 16/9 this season.
Monroe is a center. Like, a real one. Sullinger isn't. Also, I haven't seen teams standing in line to throw 12-15 per at Monroe.

If Sullinger averaged 16 and 9, he'd be, for all practical purposes, Ryan Anderson (except that Anderson does some things better, and doesn't come with a chronic back issue and a ton of extra pounds). You know how much Anderson makes? $8.5 million a season.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:01:36 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Barring major injuries, both players will make multiple All-Star appearances over the course of their careers.

I'm going to stop going to my guy and start going to your guy if this is the kind of stuff that winds up as the end product.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 02:55:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Let's see if he shows improvement.  Last season he averaged 13 points and 8 rebounds on a dismal 43% shooting.  So far this season he's averaging 13 points and 4 rebounds.  Nice that he is starting now... hopefully he shows enough progress that he keeps the starting position.

You mention that he is averaging 13 and 8 this year, so far.  LOL, all of one game.  (Let's see, if he scores 13 in each game he has played, for a total of 13 points, I divide by one, for an average of, um, 13. )  Sorry, could not resist poking fun of your use of the word "averaging" after one game.

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

I'm going to stop going to my guy and start going to your guy if this is the kind of stuff that winds up as the end product.

I expected some pushback from someone about this, but not necessarily you. ;)  Okay, time will tell about Sully and Olly.  By the way, if you wish to start going to 'my guy' I reside out here in NorCal, and now that it's essentially legal, it's very fine indeed... :P ;D 8)

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 05:44:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
To be honest it's less about their prospective play then it is about eliminating the Center position from the All Star Lineups -- even if they're posting gaudy stat lines they're competing for the same position in the ASG, assuming they're both still with Boston.

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Monroe is a center. Like, a real one. Sullinger isn't. Also, I haven't seen teams standing in line to throw 12-15 per at Monroe.

If Sullinger averaged 16 and 9, he'd be, for all practical purposes, Ryan Anderson (except that Anderson does some things better, and doesn't come with a chronic back issue and a ton of extra pounds). You know how much Anderson makes? $8.5 million a season.

What particular things is Anderson better than Sullinger at? Besides 3 point shooting?

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2014, 07:59:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Let's see if he shows improvement.  Last season he averaged 13 points and 8 rebounds on a dismal 43% shooting.  So far this season he's averaging 13 points and 4 rebounds.  Nice that he is starting now... hopefully he shows enough progress that he keeps the starting position.

You mention that he is averaging 13 and 8 this year, so far.  LOL, all of one game.  (Let's see, if he scores 13 in each game he has played, for a total of 13 points, I divide by one, for an average of, um, 13. )  Sorry, could not resist poking fun of your use of the word "averaging" after one game.
Last year for a full season he averaged 13 points and 8 rebounds on a dismal 43% shooting.  And you're right... so far this season he's played 1 game and put up 13 points and 4 rebounds.  Point is, let's see if he shows any improvement from last season.  Before we start suggesting he should make star money, let's see if he can hang onto the starting PF role.

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 08:55:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I expected some pushback from someone about this, but not necessarily you. ;)  Okay, time will tell about Sully and Olly.  By the way, if you wish to start going to 'my guy' I reside out here in NorCal, and now that it's essentially legal, it's very fine indeed... :P ;D 8)

???