Author Topic: Oh Crap, how much money will Sully command.  (Read 9722 times)

Re: Oh Crap, how much money will Sully command.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I think Sully will command somewhere between 4-32 and 4-48 depending on health and growth. I need to see more from Oly before I can even guess his next contract.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 10:49:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Vucevic is thought of more highly around the league and got an extension of 4 years 53 million. That's the latest contract for a big man on a bad team with potential.

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
if Sully gets paid $60m, we might as well call him Rashard Lewis.
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
if Sully gets paid $60m, we might as well call him Rashard Lewis.
Mark Blount would be a much more apt comparison if you're assuming the worst for Sullinger's level of play.

Rashard Lewis was the highest paid player in the NBA for a number of years, not comparable to 12-15 million per year no matter what you think of Sullinger

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 11:31:03 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Lewis was also, briefly, worth that money.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 11:47:33 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I don't think we can keep and pay both Sully and Olynyk. I think that's why they're both starting and playing so many minutes to show one of them off for potential trades.  They have similar skill sets, and, in the long run, I don't think they can coexist at the 4 and 5 together.  Unless Olynyk wants to take something like 5-6 million per, I can't see us keeping both of them.

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Why do you think we can't afford two big men?

You need more than one quality big to win.

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 11:50:45 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't think we can keep and pay both Sully and Olynyk. I think that's why they're both starting and playing so many minutes to show one of them off for potential trades.  They have similar skill sets, and, in the long run, I don't think they can coexist at the 4 and 5 together.  Unless Olynyk wants to take something like 5-6 million per, I can't see us keeping both of them.

I still think one of these two are getting moved as part of a package deal in the not so far away future.  Given the possible future dollars at stake as well as trade value, I'm inclined to say it might be Sully.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 11:51:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Exactly

TP !

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
His 4 year extension off his rookie deal will start the same year the new TV money comes to fruition so I wouldn't be surprised to see a $10-11 million first year of that extension with the raises built in thereafter. Probably around a 4 year $43-48 million contract extension
barring injury, that sounds about right

Next question would be, would you pay him that? 
if he continues to progress as he has so far, absolutely.  Look at what AB earned as well as Parsons and Hayward this past offseason.  Sully at 10-12 a year is very reasonable particularly with a higher cap coming into play in the near future

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 11:56:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
with the higher cap coming in and neither one likely to be a frequent all-star (but solid player), no reason to think we can't afford both. 

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Because they're both stretch 4's.  Olynyk is not a 5, no matter how much we want him to be!  ;D I just think their skillsets are redundant, and we'll eventually need a better defensive big in the middle to make any real progress.

with the higher cap coming in and neither one likely to be a frequent all-star (but solid player), no reason to think we can't afford both. 

So you think we should pay them both roughly 10 million per year?  Why have a 10 million per bench player?  Olynyk isn't the answer at the 5 long-term.

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 03:28:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Let's see if he shows improvement.  Last season he averaged 13 points and 8 rebounds on a dismal 43% shooting.  So far this season he's averaging 13 points and 4 rebounds.  Nice that he is starting now... hopefully he shows enough progress that he keeps the starting position.

Come on haha.

So far this season, he's averaging...in ONE GAME...hahaha.

That's like when you said (something along the lines of) your prediction that Rondo's assists would go down held true in the '13/'14 season after losing the big 3, when his per 36 assists per game were literally identical to his '12/'13 season. HIS MINUTES WENT DOWN.

I can't tell if this is a joke or what haha.
Jury's still out on whether or not Sully is a full-time starter.  Few things could happen.  #1 - He could lose the starting role to Bass.  #2 - His brittle body could betray him.  #3 - The Oly + Sully experiment could fail... we could make a move for a real center and Oly could theoretically outplay SUlly and push him to the bench.  All of that is still in play.

So far, Sully is averaging 13 points and 4 rebounds.  He's going to have to show more before people start throwing out the idea of signing him to 10 mil a year.  Hopefully he shows it.  Thus far he's been a pretty average player in this league.  He looked really good in preseason, but that was preseason.  I want to see if he can hang onto the starting role, stay healthy, and produce more than the 13 points, 8 rebounds and 43% shooting he displayed last year.

Fwiw, I drafted him in one of my fantasy leagues. I think he can show improvement.  No guarantee though. 

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 04:10:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

You need more than one quality big, each of them preferably better than either Sullinger or Olynyk. Those two are decent, but not exactly world beaters.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

You need more than one quality big, each of them preferably better than either Sullinger or Olynyk. Those two are decent, but not exactly world beaters.

You're talking as if these players are finished products.  They just got in the league, and one of them is 22.  Give them a chance for darn sakes.  We don't know what type of quality we have at this point.  It sure looks promising though, considering the amount of time they've had in this league.