Author Topic: Operation Get KG to a Contender  (Read 4337 times)

Operation Get KG to a Contender
« on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I know Brooklyn was missing Brook Lopez, but man was that pathetic. Cs played like a good team -- I've upped my prediction to about 32-35 wins from 30-32 wins -- but that was utter destruction. We were up by close to 30 and basically gave up, still victorious by 16. Maybe the Nets will turn it around, and I'm not one for sensationalist reactions after just one game, but they did not look good. 7th-8th seed at best in my opinion. And it pains me to see a great like KG, who can still contribute at a high level, toil his final years away on this team.

Who could use him? What would it take to get him? A few hypotheticals below:

Toronto Raptors

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mq62vy2

TOR receives: Garnett
BKN receives: Landry Fields, Chuck Hayes, Lucas Nogueira, 2015 TOR 2nd rounder, 2017 NYK 2nd rounder (from TOR)

Golden State Warriors

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lyh95ra

GSW receives: Garnett, Mirza Teletovic
BKN receives: David Lee, Harrison Barnes

This one I'm really torn on. It all depends on how much you value Teletovic and Barnes. Also hard to judge the willingness of Nets ownership to pay an extra year of $15 million to D. Lee in order to get Barnes if they're giving up a player with potential of his own in Teletovic. My guess is they would bite on Barnes' higher ceiling. Lee's contract also becomes slightly easier to swallow with the cap increase(s). In my opinion I think the Warriors should have to surrender a first rounder but given their obligations to Utah they cannot do this under league rules. I think the Nets would really have to plummet for this to be considered. I'm sure some of you view it from the opposite perspective, thinking the Nets made out like bandits here.

Oklahoma City Thunder

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=oy54xf9

OKC receives: Garnett
BKN receives: Perkins, 2015 OKC 1st rounder

Jackpot.

What do you guys think? Are there other fits around the league? Let's complete the Big Three's final ride to glory. Ray will likely join a contender midseason, Pierce is on a very competitive Wizards team... it's not right to see KG go out like this.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Operation Get KG to a Contender
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:26:41 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
What about Wallace straight up for KG? We get back KG, he'll not play that much, but will act as a mentor for our team.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Oh, wow, that OKC deal would make them incredibly scary.  OKC I mean.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
What about Wallace straight up for KG? We get back KG, he'll not play that much, but will act as a mentor for our team.

Or, you know, we could have kept him and Pierce, taken the Greek Freak, and never would have had to acquire Gerald Wallace in the first place, but whatever.  They should have retired HERE!  Ugh.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:57:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Or, you know, we could have kept him and Pierce, taken the Greek Freak, and never would have had to acquire Gerald Wallace in the first place, but whatever.  They should have retired HERE!  Ugh.
If Brooklyn remains as bad as they looked tonight, you're gonna be pretty happy we made that trade in a few years.  We get their picks in 2016, 17 and 18. 

I could see KG get bought-out mid season and see him join a contender's bench like the Cavs... but I could also see him retire before the season ends.  Right now he's just getting that final paycheck.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:12:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

If Brooklyn remains as bad as they looked tonight, you're gonna be pretty happy we made that trade in a few years.  We get their picks in 2016, 17 and 18. 

I could see KG get bought-out mid season and see him join a contender's bench like the Cavs... but I could also see him retire before the season ends.  Right now he's just getting that final paycheck.

Nope.  That trade will always bother me.  You don't trade legends, I'm sorry.  You'll never get equal value for them, no matter how many draft picks you receive in return.  It's just the lack of loyalty from Ainge that bothers and disturbs me.  If they had retired after last year, or even this year, we'd probably still have gotten a good pick given the age and inexperience of our guys.  I just know that there was a better way to do this, a much better way, and Danny blew it, imo.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 12:36:55 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As a Celtic fan I could care less whether KG ever plays for another contender. He should just finish the season quietly and retire. What a career.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 12:42:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
As a Celtic fan I could care less whether KG ever plays for another contender. He should just finish the season quietly and retire. What a career.

Well said, TP.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 12:49:43 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I know Brooklyn was missing Brook Lopez, but man was that pathetic. Cs played like a good team -- I've upped my prediction to about 32-35 wins from 30-32 wins -- but that was utter destruction. We were up by close to 30 and basically gave up, still victorious by 16. Maybe the Nets will turn it around, and I'm not one for sensationalist reactions after just one game, but they did not look good. 7th-8th seed at best in my opinion. And it pains me to see a great like KG, who can still contribute at a high level, toil his final years away on this team.

...it's not right to see KG go out like this.

While the Nets undoubtedly miss Lopez on offense, they definitely don't miss him on defense.  He's a huge liability on that end given his terrible lateral quickness, sub par rebounding, and non-existent shot-blocking.  I've seen plenty of Nets games over the years, and, while his numbers look at least decent in terms of rejections, Lopez (at least, to me), has never been what the kids today would call a great rim protector ;D.  In fact, he's probably one of the worst and the least intimidating of centers when it comes to protecting the paint.  What a defensive tandem they are, D-Will and Lopez (sarcasm) ;D.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 12:50:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Oops.  Double post.  Sorry about that.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:23 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Nope.  That trade will always bother me.  You don't trade legends, I'm sorry.  You'll never get equal value for them, no matter how many draft picks you receive in return.  It's just the lack of loyalty from Ainge that bothers and disturbs me.  If they had retired after last year, or even this year, we'd probably still have gotten a good pick given the age and inexperience of our guys.  I just know that there was a better way to do this, a much better way, and Danny blew it, imo.

You say you think you know of a better way, yet provide no evidence of a way that would suggest you've convinced yourself of this in a rational manner. Giannis Antetokounmpo is still two years away from potentially being the level of player necessary to keep that Celtics team afloat ("two years away from being two years away"). At that point Pierce and Garnett will have retired and we wouldn't have gotten anything for them.

It would've been irresponsible for Ainge to not take the offer. Unfortunately being a competitive basketball teams means not being falling for virtuous pitfalls. Loyalty had nothing to do with it. It was about making the Celtics a better ball club in both the short and long term. I'm very satisfied with the job Ainge is doing and am glad we won't have to wait another 20 years to see an exciting Celtics team.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 01:21:30 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Oklahoma City Thunder

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=oy54xf9

OKC receives: Garnett
BKN receives: Perkins, 2015 OKC 1st rounder

Jackpot.

What do you guys think? Are there other fits around the league? Let's complete the Big Three's final ride to glory. Ray will likely join a contender midseason, Pierce is on a very competitive Wizards team... it's not right to see KG go out like this.

This trade could be mutually benefitial. KG would have to be playing pretty well to fetch a 1st, and Bkn would have to be getting crushed to convince them to throw in the towel. If I'm OKC I'm desperately looking for a trade of this sort.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »

Offline Boston3334356

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pg86ef6

I can kind of see this happen but I don't think KG would play with Randolph..

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 12:41:58 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Danny did the exact opposite of blowing it, he hit the furthest home run possible with this one. Look Pierce is my favorite player of all time, did it stink to see him go? Absolutely. Would we have been a contender the last two years with Pierce and KG here? No. End of story. Its not like we forced them both out the door they both wanted to go to Brooklyn and we got 3 first round picks out of the deal.

As much as it stinks to not see us contend this year, we wouldn't be any better off with Pierce and KG here eating up 20 million dollars a year and they are probably much happier to place for a contending veteran team (at least Pierce). I for one would much rather have 3 first round picks than to watch KG's near corpse play 20 minutes a game during a frustrating rebuild. The biggest legend the game has ever seen played for the Wizards after he was done with the Bulls. The biggest legend in the game currently has switched his team twice. Kobe was drafted then traded. Dirk, Nash. It happens. There's no need to be bitter about it especially since we are better off from it.

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Agreed.  appreciate the title and wish him well but getting him on a contender is his agent's job, not Danny's or ours