Author Topic: Big test coming up against the Rockets and Dhoward  (Read 15599 times)

Re: Big test coming up against the Rockets and Dhoward
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think dwight howard matters that much.  His offensive game has improved very little since he came into league.  He will get 18 pts and 10 rebounds from his athleticism. 
Do athletic rebounds, fouls drawn, and points count less than skill rebounds, skilled fouls drawn, and skillful points?

Dwight Howard is the reason the Rockets are a hugely problematic matchup for the Cs.

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think dwight howard matters that much.  His offensive game has improved very little since he came into league.  He will get 18 pts and 10 rebounds from his athleticism. 
Do athletic rebounds, fouls drawn, and points count less than skill rebounds, skilled fouls drawn, and skillful points?

Dwight Howard is the reason the Rockets are a hugely problematic matchup for the Cs.

Exactly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2014, 03:51:20 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
On offense we might be able to draw Dwight out of the paint to prevent KO and Sully from getting open 3's. The problem is, on defense Dwight is either going to score every time, or foul out every single big we have. I think the C's will pressure the ball handler liberally because if the ball gets into the paint they are toast.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2014, 03:54:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
On offense we might be able to draw Dwight out of the paint to prevent KO and Sully from getting open 3's. The problem is, on defense Dwight is either going to score every time, or foul out every single big we have. I think the C's will pressure the ball handler liberally because if the ball gets into the paint they are toast.
Agreed.

They can go away from Dwight at times, hopefully pressure and good positioning can get them to do that tomorrow.

In the end though they were a good playoff team in the west, and were a lottery team in the east on the road. Tough game, go C's!

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
My concern with that strategy is that I don't think we have a three point shooting big that's enough of a threat to draw Dwight more than 7-8 feet from the basket.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2014, 04:01:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My concern with that strategy is that I don't think we have a three point shooting big that's enough of a threat to draw Dwight more than 7-8 feet from the basket.

KO and Sully have been pretty much shooting lights out at the three pt line.

If DH does not want to respect a few of their shots at first thats fine. I prob wouldn't either. But once they start making the shots ,  he can't ignore them . Rockets prob put Jones out to the perimeter on the hotter shooting big, unless both Sully and KO can't miss. 

If both are missing the long range shot and DH is having his way on the offensive end, we will definitely see more of Zeller.   Prob see alot more hack a Dhoward late in the game and we will need our team three pt shooting to be working well.  This is going to be a very good test for the Celts

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For starters, we'll need two of them just to make sure they don't switch Dwight on the guy that's down low.

I think Olynyk is the more reliable 3 pt threat, but even so, if I'm the Rockets, one thing I'd give the Celtics are Sullinger / Olynyk threes.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2014, 04:11:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
For starters, we'll need two of them just to make sure they don't switch Dwight on the guy that's down low.

I think Olynyk is the more reliable 3 pt threat, but even so, if I'm the Rockets, one thing I'd give the Celtics are Sullinger / Olynyk threes.

Exactly, particularly if Dwight is able to get them into some foul trouble-- which, tbh, seems more likely than our bigs getting their NBA Jam on outside the arc.

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The solution to keeping the ball out of Howard's hands seems to be keeping it in Harden's hands.  Wonder if we'll cut back on ball denial to let Harden go one-on-one (or one-on-three) more often, or if that's more detrimental than it's worth.

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
The solution to keeping the ball out of Howard's hands seems to be keeping it in Harden's hands.  Wonder if we'll cut back on ball denial to let Harden go one-on-one (or one-on-three) more often, or if that's more detrimental than it's worth.

actually, Howard will dominate us in that game imo, but I am very very interested in seeing Smart/Bradley/Rondo on Harden

Harden will get 30 points but probably going to go for 15 - 40 :)

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

actually, Howard will dominate us in that game imo, but I am very very interested in seeing Smart/Bradley/Rondo on Harden

Harden is more apt to go 5-20 but get 20 FTAs for that sort of line. His drives are usually to draw the call rather than make a lay-up. Even when he has a straight line to the basket.

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Harden is more apt to go 5-20 but get 20 FTAs for that sort of line. His drives are usually to draw the call rather than make a lay-up. Even when he has a straight line to the basket.

Need Marcus Smart and AB hounding him.  Evan Turner and Thornton can also provide tough defense.

If Harden is neutralized or ineffective, then we have a chance to win regardless if Dhoward has a good night.

Got to slow down at least one

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So far, what has worked best against Howard was to keep the ball IN his hands, but play him tough and push him to the spots where he can't score. That's not particularly hard, because he has zero moves and lots of brute force.

The problem is that we probably don't have the personnel to do this right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »

Offline bostonsportsfan

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
Here are the test questions
Question 1. Who has the better Coach: Answer Celtics
Question 2. Who has the better Point Guard Answer Celtics
Question 3. Does James Harden stand a chance against Avery Bradley: Answer No
Question 4. Is Dwight Howard Good Enough to beat us: Answer No
Question 5. Who will win the game : Answer Celtics

If you answered all those questions correctly you receive an A+ for that test Celtics will pass that test easily

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2014, 07:17:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I think we gave a fighting chance ,  we need for Sully , KO , and Turner to have a good shooting night ......let Howard get his 20 20 ......

But use AB and Smart to put the brakes on Harden .

Keep it close ......use Bass ...hack a Howard