Author Topic: Big test coming up against the Rockets and Dhoward  (Read 15561 times)

Re: Big test coming up against the Rockets and Dhoward
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 08:45:49 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't understand why Bass is playing over Zeller.
I thought Doc had come back and was coaching the team.
The Nets had gone small, very small with no C on the court most of the time. No one for Zeller to match up with frequently.

But just like with Doc, why is it that we need to change our lineup to matchup with what the other team is doing out there.

If they go small ball, we need to go small? 

If they go small, sometimes it makes more sense to go big. It could be to our adv. Zeller should of seen more min, especially starting the 4th

Except you forget the part where we already experimented going small against THIS team in the preseason to huge success, so what's your deal?

Zeller had a nice game, yadda yadda.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:10:53 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 09:01:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Right now Zeller is this team's 10th player on the rotational chart. Stevens has decided to go with athleticism on the court meaning sets with Turner at SF and Green at PF as well as Rondo, Bradley, Smart combos with Bass and Olynyk, or Sully and Olynyk, or Bass and Sully, or Green and Sully or Green and Olynyk. He likes the defensive pressure and ball movement these combos can give the team.

Zeller, being the least athletic and least skilled of the top 10 players in the rotation will often be the odd man out, though I do expect to see him play more against larger frontlines. But let's face it, he's not some world beater of a talent that is screaming out load that he deserves big minutes. He's a bench role player and will have nights he sees 20 MPG and he will see nights where he sees 5 MPG. He is what he is. No more no less.

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Agreed with Nick, per usual.

My suspicion is that we're going to be beaten up inside when it comes to playing the Rockets, and our wins and losses will be determined by how well Houston manages to hit from beyond the arc. I don't think we'll try to race them in scoring -- and I'm not sure we'll be able to shoot over 50% again -- so it'll come down to the perimeter D on our end.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Stevens has decided to go with athleticism on the court

I would bet money that Zeller is our most athletic center.

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Agreed with Nick, per usual.

My suspicion is that we're going to be beaten up inside when it comes to playing the Rockets, and our wins and losses will be determined by how well Houston manages to hit from beyond the arc. I don't think we'll try to race them in scoring -- and I'm not sure we'll be able to shoot over 50% again -- so it'll come down to the perimeter D on our end.
And how many times we send the Rockets to the line. They run so much simple PnR action solely to get to the line with the occasional kick out for 3s.

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

But least talented and he doesn't stretch the floor like Sully and Olynyk can when playing a in a smaller lineup, which is extremely important to making those smaller lineups work. Against larger teams he will see more minutes, I would imagine.

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yup. If you count our Cs as Fav, Olynyk, Zeller I think Zeller is the winner.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyler-Zeller-5154/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kelly-Olynyk-19790/

Scored better in Agility, Sprint, no step vert, and max vert.

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I think that Sullinger will do a solid job defending Howard in the post. I also think he'll do a good job boxing Howard out so that Rondo, Turner, Olynyk, Green, etc can steal some rebounds.

Lobs, rolls, and scoring in the paint are going to be another story, though. That'll be tough

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 11:14:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think that Sullinger will do a solid job defending Howard in the post. I also think he'll do a good job boxing Howard out so that Rondo, Turner, Olynyk, Green, etc can steal some rebounds.

Lobs, rolls, and scoring in the paint are going to be another story, though. That'll be tough
Howard toasted him last year and Howard looks more mobile now than last year, so yeah.....

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Howard toasted him last year and Howard looks more mobile now than last year, so yeah.....

Yes.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Right now Zeller is this team's 10th player on the rotational chart. Stevens has decided to go with athleticism on the court meaning sets with Turner at SF and Green at PF as well as Rondo, Bradley, Smart combos with Bass and Olynyk, or Sully and Olynyk, or Bass and Sully, or Green and Sully or Green and Olynyk. He likes the defensive pressure and ball movement these combos can give the team.

Zeller, being the least athletic and least skilled of the top 10 players in the rotation will often be the odd man out, though I do expect to see him play more against larger frontlines. But let's face it, he's not some world beater of a talent that is screaming out load that he deserves big minutes. He's a bench role player and will have nights he sees 20 MPG and he will see nights where he sees 5 MPG. He is what he is. No more no less.
good points. i was impressed with stevens game plan and lineups, particularly the use of a 3 guard line up against the nets often. i think the 3 guard line up will happen when the opposing team lacks a dominate/strong center.

when a dominate/strong center is on the court we will probably see a lot more of seller.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Stevens i bet will watch alot of tape of the spurs vs the rockets before sat. Bc u would think no way old man duncan and tiago splitter (sometimes boris diaw) can hold off/neutralize dhoward but they have been able to. Erman has also experience as GS warriors assistant coach (with only david lee and other scrubs at times , had to slow down dhoward) to help us figure something out. Liking the erman pickup. 

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Stevens i bet will watch alot of tape of the spurs vs the rockets before sat. Bc u would think no way old man duncan and tiago splitter (sometimes boris diaw) can hold off/neutralize dhoward but they have been able to.
You mean like last year where the Rockets swept the Spurs while Howard put up 18 & 16? (4 games)

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 03:18:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Stevens i bet will watch alot of tape of the spurs vs the rockets before sat. Bc u would think no way old man duncan and tiago splitter (sometimes boris diaw) can hold off/neutralize dhoward but they have been able to.
You mean like last year where the Rockets swept the Spurs while Howard put up 18 & 16? (4 games)

your right.  Though if they played in the playoffs, my money would be on the Spurs to win that series.

Dhoward can be slowed down and you can frustrate him.  Hopefully our guys can get some charges and some other offensive fouls against him also

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I don't think dwight howard matters that much.  His offensive game has improved very little since he came into league.  He will get 18 pts and 10 rebounds from his athleticism.  I'd work at bringing him out of the paint to guard ko or sully who will be shooting 3's.    Our wings need to make harden's game tough as they can.  Hold him to 15 pts.  or make him work for everything and tire him for end of game.