Author Topic: Big test coming up against the Rockets and Dhoward  (Read 15597 times)

Re: Big test coming up against the Rockets and Dhoward
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2014, 08:40:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Here are the test questions
Question 1. Who has the better Coach: Answer Celtics
Question 2. Who has the better Point Guard Answer Celtics
Question 3. Does James Harden stand a chance against Avery Bradley: Answer No
Question 4. Is Dwight Howard Good Enough to beat us: Answer No
Question 5. Who will win the game : Answer Celtics

If you answered all those questions correctly you receive an A+ for that test Celtics will pass that test easily

You think Brad Stevens is a better coach than Kevin McHale?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

If you answered all those questions correctly you receive an A+ for that test Celtics will pass that test easily

Yeah that is a weird one to single out, especially for a total homer.

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2014, 09:02:06 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

Yup. Most of the rockets offensive sets are - give the ball to Harden and get out of the way; Howard is a glorified garbage man IMHO; Their team defense leaves much to be desired;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I don't think much of Kevin McHale as a coach. I rate him well below par. Probably low 20s (bottom 3rd) out of the 30 head coaches in the league. I really hate how he doesn't hold his players accountable on defensive end of floor. Houston underperformed defensively each year he has been there. Offensive system very basic. Not enough structure. In game coaching does not stand out.

Unsure how I would rate Stevens just yet. Some promising signs but a bit mixed performance last year. Looking forward to seeing what he does this year. I think the Celtics should at least challenge for a playoff spot. That is my expectation for him.

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Best strategy against Dwight is usually to play him one-on-one and let him score.

His defense and rebounding drop off in a big way when Dwight has big scoring nights.

Plus, his Houston Rockets teammates are very limited offensively outside of James Harden. If you can do a good job on Harden and lock down their limited supporting cast, you have a good chance at beating this team. Even with Dwight scoring 30-35 points.

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I don't think much of Kevin McHale as a coach. I rate him well below par. Probably low 20s (bottom 3rd) out of the 30 head coaches in the league. I really hate how he doesn't hold his players accountable on defensive end of floor. Houston underperformed defensively each year he has been there. Offensive system very basic. Not enough structure. In game coaching does not stand out.

Unsure how I would rate Stevens just yet. Some promising signs but a bit mixed performance last year. Looking forward to seeing what he does this year. I think the Celtics should at least challenge for a playoff spot. That is my expectation for him.

I agree. I love McHale and had high hopes for him coaching Dwight and the Rockets, but man, he's been awful. He hasn't utilized Dwight and Harden well at all, and Dwight's game has not progressed under him. He also has no defensive mindset, no use of the younger talent on the team, and mismanaged Asik and Lin, as well as Motiejunas. That team should be performing much better than it has.

Van Gundy was the only coach able to get the most out of Dwight so far.

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Howard and harden showing some respect to our young big before the game. It is def unique that both our c and pf can shoot the three, pass and handle the ball. Man i really hope we can pull out a win tonight.

"Since I came into the league, I don't recall any team doing that," Howard said. "Having both bigs out shooting 3s, picking and popping the whole game. It just shows where the game is going."

And for the Celtics, it gives them their best shot at limiting Howard's dominance around the basket.

"Our communication [defensively] is going to have to be key," said Houston's James Harden. "We had two pretty good games on the road, so we're trying to build something special here. This is the next step. We haven't faced two shooting bigs thus far. It's going to be a great test for us."

Indeed, the Sullinger-Olynyk tandem will impact the Houston Rockets' defense as a whole.

But no one will bear the brunt of its impact more than Howard, a three-time Defensive Player of the Year (2009-2011).

"When you're playing against bigs that can really space the floor, it makes things really difficult," Howard said. "Most bigs are used to playing guys in the paint. They got two guys who virtually do everything from the perimeter. You got Jared shooting the 3. You got Olynyk shooting the 3, putting the ball on the floor. And both of those guys are great passers."

Howard is accustomed to having the pressure to perform well defensively square upon his shoulders.

But he understands limiting Boston's bigs from having a big shooting night from the perimeter, is not a job he can do by himself.

"The bigs have to do a good job tonight," Howard said. "Especially with those guys."

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2014, 04:41:02 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I agree. I love McHale and had high hopes for him coaching Dwight and the Rockets, but man, he's been awful. He hasn't utilized Dwight and Harden well at all, and Dwight's game has not progressed under him. He also has no defensive mindset, no use of the younger talent on the team, and mismanaged Asik and Lin, as well as Motiejunas. That team should be performing much better than it has.

Van Gundy was the only coach able to get the most out of Dwight so far.
I think to be fair he hasn't been the same since his back injury.

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm definitely interested to see how Sully does down low against Howard.  I have a suspicion that he can hold his own on the interior by using his strength and his wide base.

We'll see.  Dwight Howard is certainly a load in the paint.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2014, 06:47:53 PM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
On the defensive end it i obviously a big test. I ant to see how Sully plays on the other end though. How he stretches Howard and keeps him away from the basket. And if Howard switches to Oly, he does the same.
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Howard is overrated and soft. No worried about him.

Avery, Smart and Turner (?) going to make Harden's life miserable!! Who else do they have? No Parsons .. . no Lin, no Asik. The swing man from the Wiz. Celts can hang.

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Howard is overrated and soft. No worried about him.

Avery, Smart and Turner (?) going to make Harden's life miserable!! Who else do they have? No Parsons .. . no Lin, no Asik. The swing man from the Wiz. Celts can hang.

Well that's looking like a good call  ;D

Harden has torn us apart early and Jones has filled that other void
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Can we swap Rondo+half of our picks for DH??

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I think we failed  ;D

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2014, 10:36:36 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Yeah, we didn't have an answer for Dwight, but 14 & 8 isn't that bad. Jones went off on us and we couldn't hit shots. Thought we'd do better tonight.