Author Topic: Big test coming up against the Rockets and Dhoward  (Read 15598 times)

Re: Big test coming up against the Rockets and Dhoward
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 11:58:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
1st big test of "bring the elite big out to the perimeter" (howard).   In theory it should really cause issues for the opposing team to have to figure out how to play defense against us

If KO and Sully are killing it with the three pt shooting, it will be open season underneath the basket.  But even if they are having an off shooting night, their passing abilities could cause all kinds of headaches

On the defensive end, all you can do is prevent Dhoward from gaining position , sealing his man and if that doesn't work (and i bet it won't too well, unless Sully has monster strength on Sat) , we will have to double team team , help , recover to perfection.  It could end up becoming a high scoring game. 

If Dhoward gets 2 of our bigs in foul trouble in a blink of an eye, we will be in big trouble.   Joel Anthony would of come in handy in these kind of situations and do a hack a howard

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 11:58:36 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I don't understand why Bass is playing over Zeller.
I thought Doc had come back and was coaching the team.
The Nets had gone small, very small with no C on the court most of the time. No one for Zeller to match up with frequently.

But just like with Doc, why is it that we need to change our lineup to matchup with what the other team is doing out there.

If they go small ball, we need to go small? 

If they go small, sometimes it makes more sense to go big. It could be to our adv. Zeller should of seen more min, especially starting the 4th

I would definitely like to see more of Zeller myself. Probably would've saw more of him if Lopez played tonight but I think he will see more minutes next game against Howard.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 12:03:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Nets had gone small, very small with no C on the court most of the time. No one for Zeller to match up with frequently.

But just like with Doc, why is it that we need to change our lineup to matchup with what the other team is doing out there.

If they go small, sometimes it makes more sense to go big. It could be to our adv. Zeller should of seen more min, especially starting the 4th
Yes because Zeller isn't a good enough big man to take advantage of the mismatch. He's an garbage man offensive mostly, finisher on PnRs and offensive rebounds. Though he had a nice 10-12 foot jumper in college I haven't seen it in the NBA much.

Better to match up defensively and avoid giving up easy buckets and 3s when we have the lead like that.

Man nothing like Stevens getting critized for his rotations in a blow out win. He played Olynyk/Sullinger starter minutes. Its not like we were small for more than 1/4 of the game, again largely when they had Joe Johnson at PF or even C depending on what you call Teletovic and the rest.

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 12:04:09 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
looking forward to marcus guarding james the flop harden. would be interesting.

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 12:23:30 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Yes because Zeller isn't a good enough big man to take advantage of the mismatch. He's an garbage man offensive mostly, finisher on PnRs and offensive rebounds. Though he had a nice 10-12 foot jumper in college I haven't seen it in the NBA much.

Better to match up defensively and avoid giving up easy buckets and 3s when we have the lead like that.

Man nothing like Stevens getting critized for his rotations in a blow out win. He played Olynyk/Sullinger starter minutes. Its not like we were small for more than 1/4 of the game, again largely when they had Joe Johnson at PF or even C depending on what you call Teletovic and the rest.

Yes, the whole point of making adjustments is to help your team win.  I thought Brad's rotations were outstanding tonight.  I like guys getting shorter bursts of time, they seemed fresher when he came back in to me at least.  Just blindly leaving zellar out there when the only way they are getting back in the ball game is through 3 point shooting and small ball doesn't really make sense.  We aren't talented enough to dictate the game in that way, other than playing good D and playing with pace.

There are enough talented big guys that Zellar will get his share of action, starting w/ DH.

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Yeah, fire Stevens. Nets got it down to 15 points. What a horrible coach.

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 12:35:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Zeller would get eaten alive by Howard.

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 12:40:05 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Zeller would get eaten alive by Howard.

most likely yes.  we just don't have a big def player to man the paint.  i suggest fouling him, a lot.

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 02:16:36 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
we just need to shoot 55% again and there won't be any issues with Howard :)

You are right though- the aim will be to have Olynyk or Sullinger moving around the perimeter as much as possible. I'm assuming Jones will guard Olynyk to keep Dwight from chasing Olynyk around the perimeter.
Games like this are when I could see Bass being a really useful player on the Rockets.

Hopefully Howard and/or Jones expend a lot of energy chasing our bigs around, and we can shoot a decent clip from three and from the field overall.

I too am excited to see Smart guard Harden, and I'm exited to see Rondo vs Beverly.

Smart and Bradley guarding Beverly and Harden. Licking my lips :)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I think Stevens will go small sometimes because it will cause mismatch. If the opponents lineups were big but slow, he will counter it wil fast and small lineups because we don't have the player to match their size. Small vs small is pretty effective too since our best defensive players are great defenders.

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 03:09:11 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
we just need to shoot 55% again and there won't be any issues with Howard :)

You are right though- the aim will be to have Olynyk or Sullinger moving around the perimeter as much as possible. I'm assuming Jones will guard Olynyk to keep Dwight from chasing Olynyk around the perimeter.
Games like this are when I could see Bass being a really useful player on the Rockets.

Hopefully Howard and/or Jones expend a lot of energy chasing our bigs around, and we can shoot a decent clip from three and from the field overall.

I too am excited to see Smart guard Harden, and I'm exited to see Rondo vs Beverly.

Smart and Bradley guarding Beverly and Harden. Licking my lips :)

AB just matched up with Harden so well last time.

Probably because of AB's 100% intensity on defense, disallowing Harden's opportunistic brand of basketball.

On offense, needless to say, the same intensity with Harden's sleepiness is going to get results.

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 03:10:50 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
The match up I'm looking forward to is Smart D'ing up Harden.

Really interested on this... you want to frustrate Harden so he can start chucking and hogging the ball
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 04:51:07 AM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
This one I always assumed would be a loss, but you never know. If we do pull it out, that would be awesome.

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:16 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We can t stop Howard .  He ll dunk 8 times on KO and Zeller .  Although I d try putting Smart on Harden and collapse around Howard when the ball goes in.  Double and triple team him.  No Parsons to bail him out.

But we sure have the athletic ability to frustrate Harden , maybe make him be off the mark.....get him out of his comfort zone disrupt his game.

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 08:43:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yesterday, Aldridge had a big game vs okc. Steven Adams couldnt slow him down.
Dhoward same also vs the Jazz.