Author Topic: Kings Owner Proposes Idea of Playing 4-on-5 Defense to Allow for a Cherry-Picker  (Read 9136 times)

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2247672-kings-owner-proposes-idea-of-playing-4-on-5-defense-to-allow-for-a-cherry-picker

This is so absurd and funny I had to share.

"Grantland's Zach Lowe wrote about Ranadive's idea in his 2014-15 NBA season preview:

"Owner Vivek Ranadive has pitched the idea to the team’s brain trust of playing 4-on-5 defense and leaving one player to cherry-pick, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter. The Kings aren’t actually going to do that, but their D-League might, and it shows Ranadive is committed to pushing boundaries in his search for an offbeat brand of "position-less" ball."

The Kings coaches and player personnel team must get very frustrated with this guy.  And that poor D league coach... he may be forced to try this strategy.

I'm wondering who the Celtics would use as their cherry picker.  I'm thinking Olynyk.

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
What is a cherry picker?
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
What is a cherry picker?

Someone who takes leaking out to an extreme and stays on one side of the court in order to, in theory, get some easy baskets.

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
when I coached high school basketball I did this as a play once or twice before halftime, and it worked and you knew the other team gameplanned for it at the half; then we never ran it again.  Got a free 4 points out of it, but I don't think it would work for long term
When you love life, life loves you right back

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
when I coached high school basketball I did this as a play once or twice before halftime, and it worked and you knew the other team gameplanned for it at the half; then we never ran it again.  Got a free 4 points out of it, but I don't think it would work for long term

No, I don't think it could work long term especially at a high level of play.
I do remember watching a game in the 80s where Utah was playing 4 on 5 on offense for a stretch with Mark Eaton sitting back on defense. 

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If a team started to do that, the opposing team wold just have to send a guy to guard him  and end up playing 4 on 4.

I also could see the league getting involved and making it so that all players had to be over half court by the 12 second mark on the shot clock. And couldn't leave until a shot went up.

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
If a team started to do that, the opposing team wold just have to send a guy to guard him  and end up playing 4 on 4.

I also could see the league getting involved and making it so that all players had to be over half court by the 12 second mark on the shot clock. And couldn't leave until a shot went up.

You think they'll need that?

You're talking about having an additional NBA player on offense. I say they'll take the 2 easy points.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

You think they'll need that?

You're talking about having an additional NBA player on offense. I say they'll take the 2 easy points.

They would play 5 on 4 and dominate on offense while having a couple of the perimeter players race back on D.  Other than an occasional gimmicky play, this would not work at all.

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
If anyone remembers celticconcourse he proposed this too. Hahaha. He even made a video / diagram on how it could work. Lol

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If your offense sucks but you have excellent D and rebounding cherry picking works well. Played plenty of pick up games and tourneys were it was implemented. Also been on wrong end of them. It's a love it if you are doing it against another team. Hate it if they do it to you a few times. Feels more like flag football bombing lead passes.

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
It's kind of like Rondo gambling on defense, isn't it.

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
It's kind of like Rondo gambling on defense, isn't it.

Thank you for making my day... ;D

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The Lakers did that a lot with Kareem, who often decided to wait on the offensive end as the other 9 guys ran down the court. This isn't exactly a new strategy.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I see nothing wrong with trying it out and see if it works in D League.  If it works there, then why not try it in the NBA.  Doesn't work, you stop, if it works you have a nice little thing you can roll out when needed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I can't imagine it'd work against a good NBA team that moves the ball. A wide open 3 or dunk should result, and if the floor is balanced even the "cherry pick" should be contested.

I guess it might work if you can funnel the ball to a non-shooter like Wallace or a Center on the perimeter somehow.