Poll

How would you deal with the Pacer situation if you were their GM?

Stay the course for this season and wait for George (late this season/next season).
10 (41.7%)
Trade West, Scola, Hibbert whomever, tank the season and build around George, the injuries are too deep.
12 (50%)
Trade George for a current star  and compete in West's 2-3 year window and commit to Hibbert.
0 (0%)
Other (please elaborate)
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: POLL: The Pacers decimated by injuries: What is Bird's course of action?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
The Pacers are decimated by injuries.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/10/27/7079001/indiana-pacers-injuries-david-west-george-hill

The Indiana Pacers continue dealing with injury woes, and nearly their entire lineup will be sidelined as the NBA regular season begins. David West is expected to miss a minimum of three games with a right ankle sprain, C.J. Watson will miss at least two weeks with a bruised right foot and George Hill is out approximately three weeks with a left knee contusion, the team announced.

This, on top of losing Paul George for the year and Lance Stephenson during free agency, has whittled down Indiana's depth. The Pacers' starting lineup will almost certainly include Roy Hibbert and Luis Scola, with some combination of Rodney Stuckey, C.J. Miles, Donald Sloan and Damjan Rudez filling out the perimeter slots.

That was two days ago. News today is that Stuckey is now on that list.

http://www.indycornrows.com/2014/10/28/7084867/pacers-injury-update-rodney-stuckey

The injury news keeps on coming for the Indiana Pacers. Today it was announced that Rodney Stuckey will play limited minutes in Wednesday's opener due to his lingering foot injury, and the fact that he has not played in ten days

Stuckey's limited availability means that Donald Sloan will likely start, and get the bulk of the minutes at point guard. Then came some potentially frightening thoughts from the fantastic Candace Buckner.

Stuckey thinks he'll have to play some backup point while G. Hill & Watson are out. Also, don't be surprised 2 see S. Hill w/ backup PG mins

So that's Hibbert, Scola, C.J. Miles, Donald Sloan and perhaps Damjan Rudez??? as the starters with an injured Stuckey and Solomon Hill backing up Sloan. WoW?

How quickly this team has devolved from first half of last season world-beaters to rivaling Philly for the worst starting lineup at the start of this season.

I voted to trade West, Scola, whomever, maybe even Hibbert. West's window is 2-3 years at best.

What would you do if you were the Pacers GM?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:16:57 PM by csfansince60s »

Re: POLL: The Pacers decimated by injuries: What is Bird's course of action?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 06:12:37 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Option 1 for a while, Option 2 if they get into too deep a hole.  Option 3 just isn't an option.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:22:41 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The draft is their best bet to add young talent around PG. They've said going over the luxury tax isn't an option, they have an opportunity to grab a young piece in the draft next season and I think they'll end up making trades that decimate the rest of the talent minus George. I expect West to go and I think Hibbert too - mostly because of his contract situation.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Keep Hibbert and George. Everyone else is on the trade block for expiring deals and picks. Use this year's lottery pick and assets gathered to secure the third potential star/option. Use cap space to get role player that can assist you with a 3 year run.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Option 1 for a while, Option 2 if they get into too deep a hole.  Option 3 just isn't an option.

I wouldn't necessarily trade Hibbert, but I'd deal off anyone else, tank the season, and try and parlay my assets into a vet to run with George and Hibbert next season.

Edit: So yeah, option 2.

Double edit: So pretty much exactly what Csfan1984 wrote.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I voted 1. None are serious except George.They can ride it out for a month.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
If injury issue is really that bad, I expect them to tank this season and hoping to grab Okafor ala 96-97 Spurs.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:11 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Keep Hibbert and George. Everyone else is on the trade block for expiring deals and picks. Use this year's lottery pick and assets gathered to secure the third potential star/option. Use cap space to get role player that can assist you with a 3 year run.

The George/Hibbert idea is enticing on its face. I think that there are two problems with it, and the second impacts the first.

First, Hibbert is a free agent next year, he may go or he could stay.

Second, allegedly, George and Hibbert have a history. George has done a bunch of unsavory stuff. One of the things that he has been rumored to have done is to have had a secretive, then not so secretive relationship with Hibbert's fiancee. Lance Stephenson during a playoffs practice supposedly called out Hibbert for his poor second half of the season performance by telling him he was butt-hurt over George doing his girlfriend, That's when ET jumped in for the public airing and embarassment of Hibbert and the bloody fistfight happened between him and Sir Lance.

That could be a mend-able fence, but I'm not sure.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I would see how the team does without George.  If the Pacers look like they have a chance of making the playoffs without George, I would try to make the playoffs.  If the Pacers don't, I would consider a one-year tank job and see what I can get for anyone I don't see contributing to a playoff team in 2015-2016.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I would see how the team does without George.  If the Pacers look like they have a chance of making the playoffs without George, I would try to make the playoffs.  If the Pacers don't, I would consider a one-year tank job and see what I can get for anyone I don't see contributing to a playoff team in 2015-2016.

Pretty much this.  Except I don't see any chance they'll even make the playoffs.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 07:24:51 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Fire Danny and let Larry be our GM

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 08:01:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Pretty much this.  Except I don't see any chance they'll even make the playoffs.

If they can maintain a top ten defense, they have a chance.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
There is no way I'd break up that Paul George + Roy Hibbert.

Those two alone create a great foundation for a title contender for years to come. They create team identity. A lot like star players like Duncan and Garnett. Or better comparison would be in Chicago with D-Rose and J-Noah. Having foundation like this is incredibly valuable. Players who create team identity.

Indiana will always be able to retool team quickly and effectively so long as they hold onto those two players. They have a good title window ahead of them. You don't throw that away for a "maybe" draft selection.

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
stay the course.  quite possible they're in the lottery and have a good player to add to the roster next year when George is back

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The only real decision they have to make is whether to shop West.  Maybe Hill or some roleplayers too but I don't think they want to move Hibbert and they're definitely not moving George. 

West is on the edge of slipping off and unlikely to be as effective as they'd need him to be on their next good team.  But of course that's not gonna happen right away because he's hurt too.