Author Topic: do you think this trade makes us a contender/ is fair  (Read 1818 times)

do you think this trade makes us a contender/ is fair
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:55 PM »

Offline Deezzyy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Boston out: green, Thornton, olynyk, bass, zeller, Wallace smart, clips 15, cavs 16, Nets 16, Nets 18
Boston in: gay ,smith, horford
Atlanta out: horford, Korver
Atlanta in: bass, thornton, olynyk clips 15 nets 16
Sacramento out: gay mclemore
Sacramento in: green, wallace, smart cavs 16 Nets 18
Detroit out: smith
Detroit in: korver, mclemore, zeller

We get 2 of rondo's friends in Rudy Gay and Josh Smith
starting lineup of
Rondo
AB
Gay
Smith
Horford

Re: do you think this trade makes us a contender/ is fair
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:52:58 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Terrible for Atlanta. Too good for Sacremento. Too complicated to wrap my mind around it.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:09:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
so Deezzyy you're basically going all-in with the intention of having a lineup of

PG - Rondo
SG - Bradley
SF - Gay
PF - Smith
C - Horford

?

Well.. it's probably a playoff team.  Still doubt it would contend. 

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »

Offline Deezzyy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
With sullinger turner young off the bench? They could also sign Okafor mid season?

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 01:53:17 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Fair but not smart cashing in all those chips. Not one guy is a top 10 player. On top of that Rondo and Gay are in last years. Also Horford is coming back from season ending surgery. Smith I won't even get into him other than saying Pistons would love to dump him.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 06:30:15 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Way too many picks. I'd give Atlanta 2 and Sacramento none...and I wouldn't even include Detroit in the trade. Try this:

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6516897
(http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=q8yhmgx)

Not sure that Sacramento goes for it but it's probably a good trade for them long-term as I don't see Gay staying there after this season. This nets them Smart at least. I'd love to do a Green/Gay swap and use Wallace as the salary match but they wouldn't go for that. Smart makes it worth their while and McLemore makes up the difference to us.

Atlanta would need picks, probably two, to make this appealing. They are in rebuild, resale and rebrand mode so I'm not sure that Horford gets traded. It would take a pretty strong offer I think, especially before new ownership comes in.

Boston becomes an immediate playoff threat. Rondo/Korver/Gay/Sully/Horford with AB, McLemore, Zeller, Young and Turner off the bench. We'd have to sign a couple of bigs but it would be an interesting team to watch. Not sure it contends but it's probably a team you wouldn't want in the 1st round if you're a contender. The good thing about this trade is that it gives us some serious financial flexibility next summer. Before resigning Gay or Rondo we'd have $28M in cap space. Now of course all of that space would be taken up by cap holds but it's still an interesting situation to be in.

Assuming we resign them both, Rondo at around $18M/yr and Gay closer to $15M/yr, we'd be looking at one MLE and minimum contracts to fill our the roster. We'd be a viable candidate for journeymen looking for contention but certainly not the first stop (Cleveland or Chicago).

I'm not in love with Gay but if we can move Wallace's deal and get him and McLemore I'd do that. I'd be fine keeping him too and running a lineup of:

Rondo
Korver
Green
Sully
Horford

Smart/AB/Young/Turner/Zeller

I think it's more likely that we tank again this season but trading for Horford would signal a different campaign altogether. Let's cross our fingers.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:35:07 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I wouldn't start Korver over Bradley, and also a chance Smart will out play him as well. He is good off the bench as an offensive threat. Gay and Horford would dramatically increase our depth, but I don't think they can contend with the likes of CLE (Gay vs LeBron himself, and Love vs Horford and Kyrie vs Rondo), CHI (Sully and Horford vs Noah and Gasol).

I also would like to note, I think in 2-3 years, Detroit might be a threat with Drummond, Smith and Monroe (if they do not trade him).

We will be a threat, but I don't think that team gets to the finals

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:45:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Boston out: green, Thornton, olynyk, bass, zeller, Wallace smart, clips 15, cavs 16, Nets 16, Nets 18
Boston in: gay ,smith, horford
Atlanta out: horford, Korver
Atlanta in: bass, thornton, olynyk clips 15 nets 16
Sacramento out: gay mclemore
Sacramento in: green, wallace, smart cavs 16 Nets 18
Detroit out: smith
Detroit in: korver, mclemore, zeller

We get 2 of rondo's friends in Rudy Gay and Josh Smith
starting lineup of
Rondo
AB
Gay
Smith
Horford
Way too much to give up for what you're getting back.
Breaking it down.
Green = Gay at half the price. 
with that part of the trade pulled out (and costing us now double the expense) you're now looking at:
-->Thornton, olynyk, bass, zeller, Wallace smart, clips 15, cavs 16, Nets 16, Nets 18
FOR: smith, horford
Smith and Horford are really both PFs even though Horford has been forced to play center in Atlanta.  This duo didn't get them to an ECF at any time in all those years.  Not sure why you'd want to give up
- 3 very good prospects in Zeller, KO, Smart
- 4 first round picks including 2 that I'm anticipating will be lottery picks from the Nets
- 1 good SG in Thornton
- 1 good PF in Bass
- 1 negative in Wallace who's at least serviceable defensively and becomes an expiring contract next year to help facilitate a deal for a better player.

Way too much to give up.  Also, pairing Rondo with 'friends' is not a priority. 
- Detroit doesn't get what they want for giving up Smith==>no starting SF coming back to them.  they're just getting 3 bench players.
- Sac gets waaay too much for Gay and a 2nd year guard that hasn't shown anything.  Green is the talent equivalent of Gay and half the price.  you're sending an awful lot to Sac for basically just Mclemore.
- Atlanta, while getting some decent pieces for Horford in terms of a good talent, they're really bench players.  Unless they thought that Nets pick was a sure lottery pick, I don't think they'd to it.  This would fall under the quality over quantity concept for NBA trading.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:33:02 AM by slamtheking »

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:55:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I wouldn't start Korver over Bradley, and also a chance Smart will out play him as well. He is good off the bench as an offensive threat. Gay and Horford would dramatically increase our depth, but I don't think they can contend with the likes of CLE (Gay vs LeBron himself, and Love vs Horford and Kyrie vs Rondo), CHI (Sully and Horford vs Noah and Gasol).

I also would like to note, I think in 2-3 years, Detroit might be a threat with Drummond, Smith and Monroe (if they do not trade him).

Detroit needs to trade one of Monore/Smith in order to become a threat. Smith at the SF is a bad move and having all three of them on the court at the same time just clogs everything up. Having Monore/Drummond (the direction they should go) or Smith(whom they should try and trade)/Drummond next to a true SF would help that front court immensely.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:00:17 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Detroit needs to trade one of Monore/Smith in order to become a threat. Smith at the SF is a bad move and having all three of them on the court at the same time just clogs everything up. Having Monore/Drummond (the direction they should go) or Smith(whom they should try and trade)/Drummond next to a true SF would help that front court immensely.

3 way trade maybe?, maybe Gay goes to Det, Monroe/Smith (either of the two) comes to us, Green and fillers to Sac?

plausible?