Author Topic: Portland not picking up Thomas Robinson's 4th year  (Read 7534 times)

Re: Portland not picking up Thomas Robinson's 4th year
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 07:42:23 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Guy played for 3 teams already and no minutes from all 3 teams..theres a reason for that: He is not that good
Yet in those minutes he has been pretty productive. Per36 he is an 11 points 11 rebounds kind of guy, along with over a steal a game.

I just think he needs an opportunity to play, and being drafted by Sacramento really hurt him early.
He's a garbageman.  I really can't believe people would trade KO for him!
Wait a sec...bird WAS a garbage man.   Maybe we should go after him! 8)

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 07:50:41 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
?@WojYahooNBA
Portland has informed Thomas Robinson that it will not pick up his 4th-year option, sources tell Yahoo. He'll be free agent in summer.

He seems to be brought up periodically in trade ideas on this forum, so I thought this would be of interest to some.

Robinson is the highest-drafted player from that draft (5th overall) to not make it to year 4 of his rookie deal.  Five other players have also not made it that far (including our own Fab Melo), and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few others not get year 4 either (Marquis Teague and Meyers Leonard are my top two choices.)  People fret about Fab, but that draft really hasn't been all that special, and we should be more excited by the value we got in Jared Sullinger.

Definitely.. Still has value, waive Fav and bring in TRob.

You mean for next year?  Because he's still on the Blazers this year.  It's next year's option they're not picking up.

Meant to say trade for Robinson. Blazers would practically give him away at this point.

Yeah, I'd be up for that. 

From what I recall Robinson is a bit of a physical freak - only 6'9" but his draft measurements put him at a 7'3" wingspan, 8'10" standing reach, 35.5" max vertical and 244 pounds (at only 5% body fat).

He hasn't lived up to his potential yet, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to.  There are a few guys out there (like Z-Bo, Gilbert Arenas) who were pretty 'meh' after their first few seasons in the league, and then just exploded.  I still believe the upside is there, he is just too physically gifted to not become somebody in a league that (these days) is so focussed on physical talent.  I could see him being one of those guys who just explodes out of nowhere and leaves people asking "wholly cow...where did he come from?". 

He'd likely be a cheap acquisition, and for the expected 'purchase price' I would definitely be willing to take a gamble on him...not much to lose really.  Even if he doesn't reach his potential, he's already a decent backup at the very least.

He's looking more and more like a bust, but, as you said, given his athleticism and wingspan, I'd at least look into him.  Whenever I've seen him play, he always looks like there's nothing between his ears lol.  When he was in Houston, I think I saw McHale with one of those, "what the hell was that?" kind of facial expressions that coaches reserve for Javale McGee ;D.  He really looked lost, quite frankly, but he's still young, so why not?

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 08:47:39 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Trading Olynyk for Robinson....

BARF!

That's a bad joke.  Like others have said, Portland wishes.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Bass for T.Robinson...heck I'd throw in another 2nd rounder

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Guy played for 3 teams already and no minutes from all 3 teams..theres a reason for that: He is not that good
Yet in those minutes he has been pretty productive. Per36 he is an 11 points 11 rebounds kind of guy, along with over a steal a game.

I just think he needs an opportunity to play, and being drafted by Sacramento really hurt him early.
He's a garbageman.  I really can't believe people would trade KO for him!
agreed.  unbelievable the foolishness posted here sometimes.  Per 36 is a useless stat for this guy.  if he were anywhere near as good in reality as that stat suggested, he'd get his contract renewed at a minimum or would not have been bouncing around the league so much while still on his rookie deal.

Pass on him.

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd like to point out that it has very little to do with Robinson.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 04:46:09 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Maybe we can pick him up as another reclamation project like Crawford and Turner. I'd sign him next year for MLE.

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 05:09:48 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Nor should they. Only worth a minimum contract based on performance thus far.

Still too unskilled offensively and a below average defensive player. Can't shoot, can't pass the ball, no low post game or shot-creation skills. Garbage men with bad defense are not valuable. Rebounding ability is only saving grace. Thomas Robinson should be able to hang around in the league for a few years due to rebounding and athleticism as a 3rd string PF.

Defense should be fixable over time. A strong rebounder with average defense (if not better) could be useful (albeit below average) backup PF down the road. Needs to fix his offensive game to have any hope of being more than that. If he can get his jump-shot to work, he can have a good future in this league as a role player (starter potential).

He'll make a good reclamation project for someone else so long as he is willing to sign a cheap contract. Only worth minimum contract.

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 08:29:55 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Arguably, that makes Shelden Williams a decent comparison for him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Arguably, that makes Shelden Williams a decent comparison for him.
Yeah I think that's a good comparison, hopefully he develops more than Sheldon did as a vet!

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Maybe we can pick him up as another reclamation project like Crawford and Turner. I'd sign him next year for MLE.

For the MLE??????? Just trade for him now and pick up his option then.  It's cheaper than the MLE.

Also, Crawford is out of the NBA.  I'm not sure how he qualifies as a reclamation project.  He was traded for about $500k (what the Warriora gave us).  The second round picks were because we were willing to take on Joel Anthony's contract, which turned into $2.9 million dead money to Will Bynum.  Crawford was not reclaimed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:20:33 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Nor should they. Only worth a minimum contract based on performance thus far.

Still too unskilled offensively and a below average defensive player. Can't shoot, can't pass the ball, no low post game or shot-creation skills. Garbage men with bad defense are not valuable. Rebounding ability is only saving grace. Thomas Robinson should be able to hang around in the league for a few years due to rebounding and athleticism as a 3rd string PF.

Defense should be fixable over time. A strong rebounder with average defense (if not better) could be useful (albeit below average) backup PF down the road. Needs to fix his offensive game to have any hope of being more than that. If he can get his jump-shot to work, he can have a good future in this league as a role player (starter potential).

He'll make a good reclamation project for someone else so long as he is willing to sign a cheap contract. Only worth minimum contract.

This guy says it all right here. TRob was awesome at KU because he overpowered and outquicked people in college and he's got a great motor and lots of heart. But he simply doesn't have the in between skills on offense, and in the NBA, doesn't have a size or athleticism advantage. He's got to work on his game in order to fulfill his potential.

I'd love to have him on the roster as a backup and developmental guy, but we've already pretty much got that with Dwight Powell right now. I love me some TRob but we shouldn't give up much to get him. He's proven he's not about to become a star and that he needs much more polishing before he's a real game changer.

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 10:00:59 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
He's probably worth a long term low money contract from some team. Very low money, but one of those that could lock in a guy for 3-4 years that ends up team friendly. 3 years, 6 million or something. I could see him becoming a McRoberts type player. Very similar stats for each in year 3 (same minutes, mcroberts with better shooting and assists, Robinson better rebounds).

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

For the MLE??????? Just trade for him now and pick up his option then.  It's cheaper than the MLE.

Also, Crawford is out of the NBA.  I'm not sure how he qualifies as a reclamation project.  He was traded for about $500k (what the Warriora gave us).  The second round picks were because we were willing to take on Joel Anthony's contract, which turned into $2.9 million dead money to Will Bynum.  Crawford was not reclaimed.

Crawford is in China because he didn't want to come off the bench for a minimum contract.  It's not because teams didn't want him.  He went overseas because he liked that option better, not because he had no choice but to do so if he had any hopes of rebuilding his value.

He went from a guy who teams would probably only be willing to gamble with for a non-guaranteed contract to a guy teams would probably be willing to give a fully guaranteed contract for the minimum if he would accept a backup role.  So, his play for the Celtics probably enhanced his perceived value a little bit.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference