Author Topic: Portland not picking up Thomas Robinson's 4th year  (Read 7536 times)

Portland not picking up Thomas Robinson's 4th year
« on: October 27, 2014, 04:36:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
?@WojYahooNBA
Portland has informed Thomas Robinson that it will not pick up his 4th-year option, sources tell Yahoo. He'll be free agent in summer.

He seems to be brought up periodically in trade ideas on this forum, so I thought this would be of interest to some.

Robinson is the highest-drafted player from that draft (5th overall) to not make it to year 4 of his rookie deal.  Five other players have also not made it that far (including our own Fab Melo), and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few others not get year 4 either (Marquis Teague and Meyers Leonard are my top two choices.)  People fret about Fab, but that draft really hasn't been all that special, and we should be more excited by the value we got in Jared Sullinger.

Re: Portland not picking up Thomas Robinson's 4th year
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Numbers game.  Robinson's option was going to be the most expensive of the trio including Lillard and Leonard, but there's a chance he is not even going to see considerable court time this year due to Freeland, Kaman, and Leonard (who seems to have made strides over the offseason).

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:47:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
?@WojYahooNBA
Portland has informed Thomas Robinson that it will not pick up his 4th-year option, sources tell Yahoo. He'll be free agent in summer.

He seems to be brought up periodically in trade ideas on this forum, so I thought this would be of interest to some.

Robinson is the highest-drafted player from that draft (5th overall) to not make it to year 4 of his rookie deal.  Five other players have also not made it that far (including our own Fab Melo), and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few others not get year 4 either (Marquis Teague and Meyers Leonard are my top two choices.)  People fret about Fab, but that draft really hasn't been all that special, and we should be more excited by the value we got in Jared Sullinger.

Definitely.. Still has value, waive Fav and bring in TRob.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 05:06:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
?@WojYahooNBA

You mean for next year?  Because he's still on the Blazers this year.  It's next year's option they're not picking up.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
?@WojYahooNBA

You mean for next year?  Because he's still on the Blazers this year.  It's next year's option they're not picking up.

Meant to say trade for Robinson. Blazers would practically give him away at this point.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 05:31:28 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
?@WojYahooNBA

Meant to say trade for Robinson. Blazers would practically give him away at this point.

Yeah, I'd be up for that. 

From what I recall Robinson is a bit of a physical freak - only 6'9" but his draft measurements put him at a 7'3" wingspan, 8'10" standing reach, 35.5" max vertical and 244 pounds (at only 5% body fat).

He hasn't lived up to his potential yet, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to.  There are a few guys out there (like Z-Bo, Gilbert Arenas) who were pretty 'meh' after their first few seasons in the league, and then just exploded.  I still believe the upside is there, he is just too physically gifted to not become somebody in a league that (these days) is so focussed on physical talent.  I could see him being one of those guys who just explodes out of nowhere and leaves people asking "wholly cow...where did he come from?". 

He'd likely be a cheap acquisition, and for the expected 'purchase price' I would definitely be willing to take a gamble on him...not much to lose really.  Even if he doesn't reach his potential, he's already a decent backup at the very least.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd trade Olynyk for him.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
?@WojYahooNBA

Yeah, I'd be up for that. 

From what I recall Robinson is a bit of a physical freak - only 6'9" but his draft measurements put him at a 7'3" wingspan, 8'10" standing reach, 35.5" max vertical and 244 pounds (at only 5% body fat).

He hasn't lived up to his potential yet, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to.  There are a few guys out there (like Z-Bo, Gilbert Arenas) who were pretty 'meh' after their first few seasons in the league, and then just exploded.  I still believe the upside is there, he is just too physically gifted to not become somebody in a league that (these days) is so focussed on physical talent.  I could see him being one of those guys who just explodes out of nowhere and leaves people asking "wholly cow...where did he come from?". 

He'd likely be a cheap acquisition, and for the expected 'purchase price' I would definitely be willing to take a gamble on him...not much to lose really.  Even if he doesn't reach his potential, he's already a decent backup at the very least.

For all his physical talents, when I have watched him he has struggled to score inside vs larger opponents. Some guys just know how to create space for themselves, like Sully and a younger David West. Robinson hasn't shown that so far.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 06:01:09 PM »

fitzhickey

I probably would too.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I probably would too.

Thankfully you aren't Danny Ainge.  But I'm sure the Blazers' GM wishes you were.

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Wha-?  :o

Really....?

A 2nd pick and maybe cap relief should do it.

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 06:50:15 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Guy played for 3 teams already and no minutes from all 3 teams..theres a reason for that: He is not that good
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »

fitzhickey

Guy played for 3 teams already and no minutes from all 3 teams..theres a reason for that: He is not that good
Yet in those minutes he has been pretty productive. Per36 he is an 11 points 11 rebounds kind of guy, along with over a steal a game.

I just think he needs an opportunity to play, and being drafted by Sacramento really hurt him early.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 07:06:02 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Wha-?  :o

Really....?

A 2nd pick and maybe cap relief should do it.
I second that.  Kelly might not be as physically gifted but he is going to have a long productive nba career even if he doesn't turn into dirk II
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:19:59 PM by 2short »

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Yet in those minutes he has been pretty productive. Per36 he is an 11 points 11 rebounds kind of guy, along with over a steal a game.

I just think he needs an opportunity to play, and being drafted by Sacramento really hurt him early.
He's a garbageman.  I really can't believe people would trade KO for him!