Author Topic: anthony davis- #3 on ESPN NBArank  (Read 3535 times)

Re: anthony davis- #3 on ESPN NBArank
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 05:38:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Oh, no, I agree with you -- I just think that the preordained Davis narrative is a whole lot of wishful thinking for people who have a lot, knowingly or not, invested in his continued growth and success. He's not even the most talented rookie to be drafted in New Orleans, he's just got the most potential.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I like Davis, but can he lead NO to the playoffs before ranking him in the top 5?
LBJ wouldn't make the playoffs with his early Cavs teams in the current western conference either.

KG missed the playoffs while playing MVP caliber ball, etc.

I think there's a big difference between the bubble of underratedness that KG toiled away in during his tenure in Minny and the "it's only a matter of time" godhead status that Davis has been anointed with in NOLA though.

In truth, Davis is simply the first player with Capital S Superstar potential to be snagged with the number one draft pick in the "tanking is a good idea" era of NBA fandom, so everyone who's even slightly on board with that idea has to pin their hopes on the notion that he really does turn into a world beater, because otherwise their preferred method of thinking about 'how the NBA should work' is invalid.

I think the argument is more that the higher pick you have the greater your chance for a star. Doesn't necessarily have to be #1 overall. #1 overall just gives you the best chance.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Oh, no, I agree with you -- I just think that the preordained Davis narrative is a whole lot of wishful thinking for people who have a lot, knowingly or not, invested in his continued growth and success. He's not even the most talented rookie to be drafted in New Orleans, he's just got the most potential.

But we're already seeing this potential played out;  two seasons of it, in fact.  This isn't some "allure of potential" thing that's going on with Embiid or whoever.  There's already proof out there. 

Who's the most talented rookie to be drafted in New Orleans? Are you talking their history (CP3) or right now because there isn't a more talented player on that roster.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
history, for sure. There's two seasons of justification for the hype, but I still think more games have to be played before Anthony Davis: Best NBA Big is a reality, rather than a (near certain) prediction.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Guys are still sleeping on Demarcus Cousins, who was probably the best center in the NBA last year and is only what...early 20's?

Anthony Davis and DMC are probably going to be the two best centres in the NBA 2 seasons from now...maybe even this season.

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 11:44:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Guys are still sleeping on Demarcus Cousins, who was probably the best center in the NBA last year and is only what...early 20's?

Anthony Davis and DMC are probably going to be the two best centres in the NBA 2 seasons from now...maybe even this season.

I think it's properly spelled "eMarcus."

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 05:36:43 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think this is the right place for Anthony Davis.

I expect him to be the best big man in the NBA this season. And I can't think of any guard or SF outside of LeBron / Durant that I would take over him.