Author Topic: trade idea: Bass & Bynum for Tristan Thompson and Delladova  (Read 1783 times)

trade idea: Bass & Bynum for Tristan Thompson and Delladova
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:54:01 AM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
Here's the write up in Hoops Rumors: "Negotiations between the Cavs and Tristan Thompson have stalled as the Rich Paul client seeks salaries of around $12MM a year in a rookie scale extension, reports Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com. Still, both sides maintain hope that they’ll reach a deal by Friday’s deadline, Windhorst adds. The report adds some clarity to a series of conflicting dispatches regarding whether Thompson and Cleveland were in talks, as I laid out earlier in light of the news that the Cavs are discussing an extension with Anderson Varejao....Thompson will start the season as a bench player after Varejao won the starting center job, and it would be difficult for many teams to stomach paying $12MM for a sixth man.

Though it would officially have to be two separate deals: Delladova for Bynum and Thompson for Bass, it works in the trade checker. The Cavs get an upgrade at the back-up PG spot, and a veteran for their run this year, who they will be able to re-sign at a more reasonable price. The Cs get a player better suited to playing the 5, younger with a higher ceiling, and if they have to waive Delladova he is only making $816K...

Re: trade idea: Bass & Bynum for Tristan Thompson and Delladova
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:07:30 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Uhh, I'd have to disagree that the Cavs would be upgrading at the back-up spot (as Delly can actually shoot, whereas Bynum cannot).  Seems like a wash to me, so it effectively becomes Bass for Thompson, which I think most would agree is pretty clearly slanted in the Celtics' favor.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 12:19:41 PM »

• Jrue Holiday
  • The bringer of DJ
I guess my question would be, leaving aside the ceilings of each player, if you are the Cavs, would you rather have Bass of Thompson  just for this season. In particular, if you have decided that you are not going to extend Thompson, or be able to sign him as a sixth man for $12 mill...

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 12:42:14 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
If that's your question, then Thompson wouldn't be a sixth man for $12 million; he'd be a sixth man for $5.1 million.  His new contract wouldn't kick in until next season.  You really can't make the assumption that because Varejao is starting this season, he will continue to start for the Cavs in the future.  After all, the starting center position was up in the air until Blatt made his announcement a few days ago and by all early indications, it looked like it was going to Thompson.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »

• Jrue Holiday
  • The bringer of DJ
Except the Cavs are moving to extend Varejao, and are balking at extending Thompson. This tells me that the decision to start AV, extend him, and not extend TT speaks to an assessment of their relative roles and relative futures with the Cavs....

In that context and given their current relative ability (and this was my point above) is that I think the Cavs may rather have Bass playing out the season than TT...

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
The decision to start Varejao is purely up to Blatt; I don't see any reason to believe that's related to the front office wanting to extend him.  Regardless, we don't even know the figures involved in the negotiations, so I'd caution you not to assume that they're looking to solidify Varejao as their starting center.  All the extension talk means is that they want to keep him on the team; we have no idea in what role they envision.

Nonetheless, they can do better in a trade for Thompson than simply getting Brandon Bass.  You really can't ignore the ceilings of the two players.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This would be a huge win in both deals for the Celtics. Both are young and promising players. As much as a good addition Bass would be to a veteran contending team. Thompson would be able to net a much greater return.