Poll

Perk for Bass, Vitor, and Pressey works..  would you do the deal?

Yes
no
probaby something close to that
fireworks or nothing!

Author Topic: Perk: veteran 3rd string?  (Read 3992 times)

Re: Perk: veteran 3rd string?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
We just have too many players and no veteran big centers, with two young players needing to learn the position and the physically questionable and defensively unworthy Vitor.

KO and Zeller will be better players for having Perk beat them up/work on their conditioning this year, while developing that interior defense to complement the nice interior and big-man passing.

Also makes smiley for Rondo, next year's FA.

Doesn't screw up our rotation or future.

Solids to Bass by trading him to a contender where he will play more, and a solid to Perk, whose career is likely...well, let's not think about that.

And saves a couple-hundred thou this year, a tiny chip further below the tax.

And, well, I guess "intangibles" and "Celtic Pride" and assorted things having to do with team culture and identity are things that I value quite highly, just as much in a transition/developing year as in a contending year.  Perk, like Waltah or Scal, could have a long-term relationship with the club.
Perk's not going to tip the balance of whether Rondo resigns here.  Also, IF they traded for Perk, it would be to unload someone who's NOT an expiring because the primary purpose of any Perk trade is not for him to play, this year or any future year, but to be free of his salary obligations going into next year.

there is no good reason for this deal.   If you were proposing a Perk for Wallace deal where we weren't paying much to get rid of Wallace's extra year (a second rounder would be the most I'd give up besides maybe Pressey if the C's think they can move Bynum at the deadline)

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
If OKC had gone ahead and amnestied Perkins - like they should have - he would fit with this team because of his defense.  Of course it would have to be at the right salary.

But I wouldn't trade any asset for him - no matter how marginal.

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Why do the Thunder do this?

I'm wondering why the Celtics do this at all.

I've given up asking that question in Perkins threads.
beat me to it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 02:48:44 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
If OKC had gone ahead and amnestied Perkins - like they should have - he would fit with this team because of his defense.  Of course it would have to be at the right salary.

Don't we have too many marginal assets?  I mean, isn't that kind of the problem?

It doesn't solve the equation, but it does simplify it.

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 03:09:27 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Don't we have too many marginal assets?  I mean, isn't that kind of the problem?

A guy who can do what Perk does would I think slightly improve the team without taking major minutes away from anyone they care about developing.  I could see him coming back here once he's done with OKC.  Put him in tandem with Zeller and you're at least respectable at the 5 defensively.

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Perk belongs on a contender. We are not one.
Perk was/is a surfer on a  Doc-KG-Thibs caused wave. Never a 64 mil$/5y type of a guy. He did his best, lost all that weight and all, to be fair to him, but all in all, one of the most overrated players in the league.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

A guy who can do what Perk does would I think slightly improve the team without taking major minutes away from anyone they care about developing.  I could see him coming back here once he's done with OKC.  Put him in tandem with Zeller and you're at least respectable at the 5 defensively.

I don't think Perk would be able to dislodge Olynyk and Zeller from minutes at the 5 at this point, but he would make them better players.

Presuming a Bass and Faverani for Perk deal, Bass' role as backup PF/4th big would be filled by Wallace.

Rondo/Smart
Bradley/Turner
Green/other rookie
Sullinger/Wallace (now Bass)
KO/Zeller

This looks like the basic 9-player rotation to develop and hope comes together.  We're stuck with Wallace, and I can see him getting limited minutes, say 12 per game.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What about Perk and a second-round pick for Thornton at the trade deadline?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 04:32:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That is one of the worst deals proposed here.   Wow, how could I forget we don't  have a veteran 3rd string so let's move our 3rd string PG and C and 2nd String PF to get him.

Perk is done, I could see getting him if we get a young center, who is a mediocre rebounder and good defender who can't shoot to tutor.   Oly has a better developed game and I doubt the toughness would wear off on him.

If PP didn't retire here then PERK has ZERO CHANCE!