Author Topic: Celtics Warriors (idea)  (Read 2618 times)

Celtics Warriors (idea)
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
With the talk of Thompsons contract and how his demands for a max deal will the rest of the roster. I came up with this simple trade idea

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nwfk3ey

Cs send out Green, Bass and Phili 1st (likely 2 2nds)

GSW send out Lee and Barnes

Why...

Warriors, they replace Lee's guaranteed 15mill cap hit with Greens 9mill. Green may very well opt out of this but wither way they save $$$ next season. Though a money saving move this trade is at least on pare for them talent wise and Bass and Green may be better fits. Kerr is known to covet a stretch 4 and both can fill this role. Real basic statistic comparison from last season.

Bass and Green = 61min 28pts 10rb

Lee and Barnes = 61min 27.5pts 13rb

Celtics, they add another PF but a very productive one. Lee is 31 and over payed. The 15mill next season hurts if DA think they will be FA players. If not players in the next offseason at least Lee and Wallace will come off the books together. More importantly they add a high ceiling under achieving talent in Barnes. He is still only 22 and could grow into a major piece with the young core.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Celtics Warriors (idea)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I don't see how we'd be adding a first in the deal, because we're doing them a favor.  We're taking the grossly overpaid, non-defense playing Lee off of their hands so they can sign a guy to a max contract.  Lee might have some value to other teams, but he just clogs up our roster even more.  Add a protected future first round pick from GS and I'd consider it. 

Though, I must say that it'd be extremely interesting to put Green in that lineup.  A lineup of Curry, Thompson, Iggy, Green, and Bogut would be [dang] near perfect for Green. He'd be third or even fourth fiddle, and he'd be at PF where he has an advantage.  So, of course, he'd dominate as a third option.  For GS, he's an upgrade at the 4 from Lee because he plays defense and can stretch the floor more.  The only concern would be rebounding from Green, since he's not that great of a rebounder.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 02:26:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I dont want Barnes.

Make that Draymond Green and we have a deal.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I dont want Barnes.

I kind of agree -- I'd rather have Barnes than Lee, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I dont want Barnes.

I kind of agree -- I'd rather have Barnes than Lee, though.

I dont mind David Lee. Consitent 18/8-10 shooting at high percentage. And he'll be a big expiring next year too, so not only he can put numbers, he can be a big trade chip next season.

I wont hesitate to give up a first rounder for Lee. But give Draymon Green too.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 04:44:47 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
lee would take minutes away form olynyk, sully, zeller, and fav, while simultaneously clogging our cap next year.
we should be able to land a barnes-type prospect with green + bass without taking on an extra year like lee's contract.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 05:16:54 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
No interest in David Lee.

I think Sully is nearly on his level and has a good chance to match him in near future.

David Lee would complicate an already difficult PF situation and stunt development of Sullinger + Olynyk.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 05:33:37 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I like this idea for us a lot. I think Lee is a productive, yet overpaid, player and that Barnes still has a chance to be really good given the right opportunities.

For GSW it doesn't make much sense. They are trying to make a push now and they gave up quite a bit to Utah to be able to sign Iguodala. Trading their 2nd/3rd leading scorer, 2nd leading rebounder and 2nd most efficient shooter...isn't going to help them win games. Neither Green nor Bass can give you that kind of production. Green is primarily a perimeter player (62% of his shots happened outside the paint last season) and not a particularly efficient one (33% from outside of the paint).

This trade makes the Warriors lineup:

Curry
Thompson
Iggy
Green
Bogut

That is pretty small, especially in the west. I guess they could start Bass, but Bass is a bench guy on a good team. Call me crazy but I'm not convinced that team makes the playoffs in the West. Lee is a pretty integral part of their team.

Here is the real reason this trade won't happen. It does close to nothing financially for the Warriors. Their salary this season is $73.5M. This trade changes their salary to $71.2M. Next season when they inevitably max Klay Thompson, which they can go over the cap to do, it still won't help them. Assume they max Klay and Green declines his option. That still only leaves them about 2M below the projected cap, around 6M if they decline Speights option. If Green picks up his option they have no cap room. This trade doesn't help them now or next season and I can't see them going for it.

What I can see them doing it moving Barnes this season. Maybe a Barnes for Green deal works. Barnes+Speights for Green works in the trade machine. Unlikely to happen but I'd do that I think.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 05:39:49 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
What happened to Barnes?

People wanted to trade Pierce for this guy.

Seriously asking.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:40:48 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
No interest in David Lee.

I think Sully is nearly on his level and has a good chance to match him in near future.

David Lee would complicate an already difficult PF situation and stunt development of Sullinger + Olynyk.

Then trade either one of them and get a rim protector. Lee is a star, very skilled for a big, is consistent, and at worst is big expiring next year that we can move. We need to put stars on this team right? Lee is one, and we get Draymond Green with him (dont want Barnes) with this deal? Let's do it.

Get Sullinger/Olynyk playing 20+ minutes coming off the bench, have a 3 big rotation of Lee, Sully/KO and whoever we get as a rim protector. That's a solid big man lineup with consistent scoring and rebounding. If it's only going to cost us Bass, Jeff and a first (which we have a ton), why not?

But Draymond has to be in the deal. No Draymond, pass.

What happened to Barnes?

Seriously asking.

What i have been seeing on local TV and reading is he lost his confidence when he got relegated to the bench. Which is still not an excuse to play so poorly.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 04:39:55 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
What happened to Barnes?

Seriously asking.

Seems to be overthinking things and unsure of his abilities ever since, as Yoki pointed out, he was moved to the bench to make way for Iguodala.  Sent him into a funk from which he has yet to get out of.

I see him as a prime candidate of someone who's going to need a change of scenery.