Author Topic: The Wolves waive J.J. Barea. Mavs sign barea  (Read 5477 times)

Re: The Wolves are expected to waive J.J. Barea
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Surely the Lakers would have some interest?
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
They like GR3 enough to have drafted him. They clearly view his potential production as more valuable than whatever a theoretical Barea trade could bring in, considering that one's expressed interest in acquiring him.

There's also the very real possibility this is a mutual separation, while Turiaf might have no problem with his role on the team.

Well, as mentioned from a financial + trade asset point of view it makes no sense to me.

Things outside of that, then anything goes and I have no problem with it. I have no problem with them keeping Robinson over Barea under the circumstances.

Yet, I feel that eating up $4.5 million is not a wise thing to do. I'd just send him home and cut Turiaf, saving a few million in the process, potentially more later on if you find a taker with cap space or a trade exception that suddenly has a need for someone of Barea's talents.

But whatever, there are no tax implications regardless so might as well treat it as a sunk cost. Personally I wouldn't do it, but it's not my money... I'd cut Turiaf.

Flip is also the coach and he has to consider chemistry.  Why keep an unhappy veteran you're not going to play if you can keep the happy veteran you're not going to play?

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 08:08:56 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
And to my point:

Quote from: Jerry Zgoda
Shorthand on Wolves' decision: Flip wanted him for specific role, but JJ not willing to accept not playing nightly so they mutually agreed..

https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/status/526485277976821760

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
And to my point:

Quote from: Jerry Zgoda
Shorthand on Wolves' decision: Flip wanted him for specific role, but JJ not willing to accept not playing nightly so they mutually agreed..

https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/status/526485277976821760

These are issues that explain the decision outside basketball operations standpoint + value, other than doing a solid to an agent's client, that aside I would've simply sent Barea home and that'd be the end of it until traded or bought out (is there a buy out in all of this, or is this a straight cut...that's an important detail).

But in the end, it's a losing move for Minnesota. Williams + Bareas contract combined with the myriad of young assets they now have could have been used in a trade deadline move if an opportunity presented itself. Now you just have Turiaf, and I don't know how much play he's going to get regardless and I don't know how much vet leadership he really brings to the table.

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 08:26:14 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Oh, no wonder why you were so against this.  I didn't realize the thread didn't specify that this is going to be a buyout.  They're not going to be on the hook for the full $4 million and they even save a bit of money.

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 08:40:53 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Oh, no wonder why you were so against this.  I didn't realize the thread didn't specify that this is going to be a buyout.  They're not going to be on the hook for the full $4 million and they even save a bit of money.

Ah yes, I didn't see the buyout mentioned, so that was a big element of it. If it's merely a cap hit (which is unimportant at the moment) then I really don't care one way or another.

But it was the combination of payment of $4.5 million plus the loss of the trade asset (with enough salar to help match players with bigger contracts) that had me against this, etc.

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Yeah, I'd certainly agree that a straight waiver would be rather stupid.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Yeah, I'd certainly agree that a straight waiver would be rather stupid.

So I think we're done? A round of beers?

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
How about shots?

Re: The Wolves waive J.J. Barea. Mavs sign barea
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Mavs sign barea

Espn dallas

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Lotta cuts the last few days.

Warriors waived McAdoo among others  (including Kapono) yesterday.

Boy, what a fall from grace for McAdoo. He's gotta be the poster-boy for the coming out early argument. After his freshman year, he was close to a lottery pick in a weak draft. Stays TWO years in school and goes undrafted. Wow!
I think he's actually a poster boy for the owner's case for wanting kids to play at least a year of college ball so they can better evaluate kids that look great in high school.  Of course Mcadoo could have come out earlier and been drafted but this kid not being drafted and ultimately cut says a lot about his talent (or lack thereof)

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I can' believe they are offering Rubio what they are offering.   It will be crippling down the road.

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Dallas is getting the band back together 3 years too late.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I can' believe they are offering Rubio what they are offering.   It will be crippling down the road.

No it won't. That deal will be reasonable, especially with the new CBA. Rubio has his shooting woes, but he's only 24 and last year averaged 9.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 8.6 apg, and 2.3 spg.