Author Topic: The Wolves waive J.J. Barea. Mavs sign barea  (Read 5486 times)

The Wolves waive J.J. Barea. Mavs sign barea
« on: October 26, 2014, 05:41:22 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Wolves are expected to waive J.J. Barea before Monday's 5pm deadline, after which he hopes to sign with the Mavericks.

Stein

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:25:18 PM by crownontherocks »

Re: The Wolves are expected to waive J.J. Barea
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
With only $4.5M and one year left on his contract, isn't it possible that he may have other suitors. He has to get through waivers first, correct?

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Lotta cuts the last few days.

Warriors waived McAdoo among others  (including Kapono) yesterday.

Boy, what a fall from grace for McAdoo. He's gotta be the poster-boy for the coming out early argument. After his freshman year, he was close to a lottery pick in a weak draft. Stays TWO years in school and goes undrafted. Wow!

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 06:11:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
With only $4.5M and one year left on his contract, isn't it possible that he may have other suitors. He has to get through waivers first, correct?
Too many low exemptions out there to dump that level $. Plus some one can get Bynum from Cs cheaper.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 06:27:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I know Minnesota is deep in the guard rotations, but this makes no sense. And I thought Minnesota wanted to get to the playoffs this year...

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 06:29:56 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I don't see Barea getting much playing time in Dallas either, I'm not sure why he wants to sign there.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 06:34:04 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I know Minnesota is deep in the guard rotations, but this makes no sense. And I thought Minnesota wanted to get to the playoffs this year...

He wasn't going to get any playing time there.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

It's pretty obvious I'm aware of that, hence "deep in the guard rotations" mentioned. But from a financial standpoint, from a trade asset standpoint, it makes zero sense to do it.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

It's pretty obvious I'm aware of that, hence "deep in the guard rotations" mentioned. But from a financial standpoint, from a trade asset standpoint, it makes zero sense to do it.

What do you think they would get for him?  The reason he won't play is because he fell of a cliff.  I'm sure they would have traded him if there was any market.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

As Snakehead just mentioned, Barea isn't a trade asset. They've tried to trade him since last year's draft and have been desperately shopping him all offseason. They have 16 guaranteed contracts, so they wisely reasoned that whatever minimal return they could get from a Barea trade - which was far from a guarantee to even happen - wasn't worth cutting Glenn Robinson III and missing out on the chance to develop him.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

What do you think they would get for him?  The reason he won't play is because he fell of a cliff.  I'm sure they would have traded him if there was any market.

Don't think that has any relevance here. We're talking $4.5 million the team is planning to eat up for no particular reason other than "no playing time".

You hold to that contract and wait for an opportunity to open up, if nothing comes along just buy him out at the trade deadline... unless you have someone you REALLY REALLY like and don't want to cut him.

If that was the case, i'd just cut Turiaf.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
They like GR3 enough to have drafted him. They clearly view his potential production as more valuable than whatever a theoretical Barea trade could bring in, considering that one's expressed interest in acquiring him.

There's also the very real possibility this is a mutual separation, while Turiaf might have no problem with his role on the team.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
we really could use another guard.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 07:26:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You hold to that contract and wait for an opportunity to open up, if nothing comes along just buy him out at the trade deadline... unless you have someone you REALLY REALLY like and don't want to cut him.

It sounds like the choice for the last roster spot was between Barea and Glenn Robinson III.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 07:29:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
They like GR3 enough to have drafted him. They clearly view his potential production as more valuable than whatever a theoretical Barea trade could bring in, considering that one's expressed interest in acquiring him.

There's also the very real possibility this is a mutual separation, while Turiaf might have no problem with his role on the team.

Well, as mentioned from a financial + trade asset point of view it makes no sense to me.

Things outside of that, then anything goes and I have no problem with it. I have no problem with them keeping Robinson over Barea under the circumstances.

Yet, I feel that eating up $4.5 million is not a wise thing to do. I'd just send him home and cut Turiaf, saving a few million in the process, potentially more later on if you find a taker with cap space or a trade exception that suddenly has a need for someone of Barea's talents.

But whatever, there are no tax implications regardless so might as well treat it as a sunk cost. Personally I wouldn't do it, but it's not my money... I'd cut Turiaf.