Author Topic: Most depressing Celtics article ever  (Read 16904 times)

Most depressing Celtics article ever
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/70954/breaking-very-bad-in-boston

This arcticle is highlighted on ESPN's NBA page. I can't believe they would publish garbage like this. I know the C's will most likely be bad this year (potentially very bad), but as a Celtics preview for the year, not one positive thing is said.

Rondo gets ripped on for his injury.
Sullinger has apparently no chance to ever be an all-star.
Smart would have been a good pick, if we'd gotten him last year..
Brandon Bass is a "high priced detritus"
Olynyks defense gets compared to the Big Dig

I don't think I've ever read an article where literally every single player gets ripped on.

Not one mention of Bradley's improved shooting. Coach Stevens isn't even mentioned. Doesn't this guy realize we are rebuilding? Ugh I'm angry. I don't know why I keep reading ESPN. I'll let you read the article for the rest if you care.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

Re: Most depressing Celtics article ever
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
The truth hurts. The truth hurts.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:31:15 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I breezed through it. I think it would be more depressing if the author sounded more informed.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:33:23 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It's like if someone distilled Celticsblog's Forums.

Uncanny.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 10:40:55 AM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
They took out all of the good and left all of the bad.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It's a sensationalistic piece with a doom and gloom message. Certainly a contrarian piece, where the author points out the cap space that we will have, the abundance of draft picks that we've armed ourselves with, the age of our young future pieces (Olynyk 23, Sullinger 22, Bradley 23, Smart 20, Young 19), led by a strong ownership, and who have both a solid GM and coach in place, would be as positive as that was negative.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:41:39 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The 2014-15 Boston Celtics have managed to collect all of these badnesses onto a single basketball roster, one that vaguely resembles a game of "NBA 2K15" in which you let your opponent (presumably an ill-humored 12-year-old) pick your team. It's been a long time since a Celtics team was this bad in this particularly depressing sort of way

Yea, I stopped reading there. I figured it wouldn't put me in a good mood.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
This article is way too harsh.  It's true the team isn't very good.  We all know that, at least most of us do, but this is the price to pay for the 2007-2013 run.  We knew for years this was coming and now that reality is here.  But we do have some good and promising young players in Sully, Olynyk, Smart and Bradley and maybe even Young.  We also have a lot of cap space opening up over the next two years and a slew of draft picks coming our way. 
This writer is just kicking the Celtics while they are down.  That's easy right now.  But he doesn't offer any solutions for what the team should do or what it should have done differently.  I look forward to proving this guy to be a fool in a couple of seasons when the plan is coming together and some of he guys he's mocking now are playing well.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
What a horrible and completely negative article. The guy literally dismisses all of Sully's game in one sentence, "he's undersized".

OK so nothing that Sully does good matters because he's 6'10 in shoes? I 've seen Sully in person sitting behind the Celtics bench. There is NOTHING small about him. He literally is bigger then almost everyone else out there, and he rebounds better then everyone else on the court. So what does the author gain in saying he's undersized? He's actually perfectly sized for a PF, if not a little to big, so I dont get it. 

The author has no credibility at all, there's so many errors in this article Im not going to point them all out, it's not worth it.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The article is filled with click-baiting hyperbole but isn't un-factual.  For instance:

Smart is a promising player.... He's an athletic, savvy guard with a preternatural court sense and no jump shot. He also plays the same position as Rajon Rondo, another athletic and savvy guard with preternatural court sense and no jump shot, who happens to be the Celtics' best player.

I can't disagree with that.  Smart has shown stunning improvement since preseason in my opinion though so the above might not be true relative to Smart for long, but it is true now.

Assuming Rondo misses the start of the season, the Celtics' best player on opening night will be forward Jeff Green, a good player who shouldn't be the best anything on any NBA team, even a terrible one.

I think this is a fair assessment of Green.

Center Jared Sullinger has had a nice preseason, drawing particular praise for his impressive 3-point shooting, but no one aside from the most shamrock-goggled Celtics fan really believes the undersized Sullinger has the makings of a star player.

This I probably do not agree with.  I think Sullinger has plenty of promise as a PF (and I don't consider judgment to be shamrock goggled) but what has caught my attention is his preseason rebounding, not the 3-pt shooting (so I disagree with this on a couple of counts).

Kelly Olynyk is an intriguing 7-footer who is a defensive work in progress

I can't quibble with this.  Olynyk is intriguing and is a defensive work in process.

Tyler Zeller, acquired from the Cleveland Cavaliers in the offseason, would make a great end-of-the-bench guy

Not sure I know whether this is true or not but I have higher hopes for Zeller than the end of the bench.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Smart has "preternatural court sense"?

Bradley is incredibly "shooting-averse"?

Sullinger is "undersized"?

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It's like if someone distilled Celticsblog's Forums.

Uncanny.

Well, there's another article you could distill from CB, in which Sully is better than Kevin Love, An Olynyk/Zeller starting frontcourt is good enough to get us into the playoffs, Smart is already better than our All-Star point guard, James Young will become Paul Pierce 2.0, and our coach has implemented a genius offensive plan that will eliminate the weaknesses of what was last year a bottom-5 offense.

I'm guessing opinions would vary as to which article would look more ridiculous to ESPN readers.

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

this is the easy and short answer to that article. but i'm going to elaborate on it.

Anyone not looking at this article objectively is just lying to themselves. Everything they said about Smart is true and even agree with "would have enjoyed superstar hype had he left college in 2013" as that was a weak draft if I recall.

Sullinger is a good player, if he puts up those big games consistently and becomes a 20 - 10 guy or better then obviously the article will be wrong. but I just don't see him being that because of his size and falling in love with the 3. still a good player but probably not an All-Star. Again anyone not seeing this is just lying to themselves.

Olynyk, if his offense was actually comparable to Dirk's, his defensive issues wouldn't be so glaring. he may score 20 pts. but he's probably giving up 25-30. he's not a center and defensively I'm struggling to see a position he can defend. so he either has to improve his defense dramatically or become a guy that averages 26 a game for us to invest the time in. neither of those things are happening this yr.

I think this article is being fair when it comes to this season and that's what it's about - this season.

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 12:46:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Just because it's gloom and doom doesn't mean it's the "truth".

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Team stinks.  I like the"preternatural court sense" bit.  Mahcus Smaht... The Preternatural Predator